56mm 1.2 Autofocus Issues

Hi all, 

I've had the xpro-2 for about a month now and I like it a lot, but lately I've managed to put my finger on something that had been nagging me for a while. 

When shooting the 56mm 1.2 open (not necessarily wide open), autofocus is systematically off. And not a little off, massively so.

I was shooting a studio session last week, so I switched off to manual, and used the AFL button hoping that it would bring the focus closer. And lo and behold, it didn't bring it closer, it nailed it perfectly. 

So now I'm puzzled. I've heard of lenses that have backfocus, but why would the AF-L nail it and the shutter button mess it up ?

Does anyone have any idea ?

Obviously the solution is to decouple shutter and focus and only use the AF-L, but I've never used my cameras that way, and when doing street photo it doesn't strike me as the fastest way to get the shot. 

It only happens on that lens as well, the 35mm f/2 works just fine. 

What does Fuji say? Always back-focus, never front?

I'm puzzled by your question about Fuji. Is there a way I can ask Fuji directly ?

I need to do more extensive testing, but yes, I think it's always back-focus (focus way behind the subject). 

I have had issues with the Xpro2 and the 56mm as well.  Most of the time it hits...but there have been quite a few times where it misses quite a bit in good light, where I don't feel it ever missed on the XT1.

On a Facebook group there was another user with similar issues...I wonder if Fuji will need to update the firmware for the lens soon...hopefully...

• 2 weeks later...