X-Pro 1 vs X-Pro 2 Pro Neg Std Skin Render

Hello team, long time reader first time poster.

I am an enthusiast user with only 6 years of experience and mostly Nikon gear.

Have been shooting X-Pro 1 since May 2012, really like the skin tone rendering of Pro Neg, always use OOC JPEG.

Was wondering if I should upgrade to X-Pro 2 - mainly because my wife complains about the Fuji always taking too long to focus.

Been reading up on the reviews but still not clear how the JPEG engine / X-Trans of the new batch (XT1, XT10, XE2 and not XP2) compares to the old X-Pro 1? Can you approximate X-Pro 1 output by playing with the H/S settings? Has anybody seen a side-by-side review of photos of same subject done by both cameras?

I got myself the X100S back in the day but sold it after 3 months for the XF23mm as the photos had weird contrast..

Many thanks in advance for the info, promise to be more active from now on...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have both the X-Pro1 and X-Pro2, and while I certainly intend to do some comparisons, I haven't had time to do so yet. Also, I unfortunately don't have access to a beautiful model like you do, so I'm not sure if or when I'll ever have a chance to do that Pro Neg comparison of skin tones. But I'll definitely keep that in mind should the opportunity ever present itself. 

The X-Pro2 is faster to acquire focus; no doubt about it.  That said, I have had three units that I would not consider using for a paid job and have finally taken a refund.  I really like the image quality I got from it and will come back to it in time when the camera and firmware matures.  In the meantime, I picked up an X-Pro1.  It is something I always avoided as it was said to be too slow (and it is compared to other things; a Canon 5D Mark III, and X-T1).  I was very frustrated with the X-Pro2 and the issues I had as a foolish early adopter and the foolish decisions I made in buying into the advertisement non-sense.  I still come back to the X100T as one of my favorite cameras to shoot.  Well, I decided @ $499 U.S., why not the X-Pro1 while I wait.  I know it is slow, I compared it to an X-T1 some years back, but I like the experience with the X100T and I liked the X-Pro2 most of the time.  Turn off chimping (Image Disp = Off / on the second wrench menu) on the X-Pro1, and it performs quite well.  Image quality is still second to none.  I still shoot with Canon gear and the 5D Mark III is a better camera, but I love shooting with the Fujifilm gear and the X-Pro1 is my new favorite over the X100T (that and my 17year old daughter stole the X-T1 from her old man).

As far as image quality goes, I need to do some prints, but I think it is a wash.

X-Pro2 OOC ACROS JPEG - XF35 F1.4 @ F1.8

25594190754_c192c41a8f_b.jpg

X-Pro1 processed in Lightroom from RAW, XF35 F2 @ F2.0

26558976631_db2375475d_b.jpg

With the problems I encountered with the X-Pro2, I say hold on to that X-Pro1 a while.  Wait a few months for the X-Pro2 to mature and give her a go.  I don't think it will make you a better photographer.  You'll do that yourself if you enjoy your gear and learn how to use it (and your image above tells me you got it working for you).

Fuji vs fuji have a side by comparison between X-Trans 1 and 2 (and X-Trans "3" seems a lot like 2 to my eye, from shots I've seen)

I've also blogged about the differences!

IMO no, you can't get the SOOC jpeg look (via SOOC jpeg anyway) of X-Trans 1 from X-Trans 2.

X-Trans 2 makes a harsher cut to black and has punchier colour/shadows and more contrast. You can drop shadow tones to -2 but it's not the same

In a "no really Adam, it's clearly not at all, what are you talking about*" sort of way, Pro N S from X-Trans1 has its closest match in classic chrome from the later bodies

*because the colour is different, but overall the image is not soooo dissimilar in terms of punch