Sigma 56mm 1.4 vs Fuji 56mm 1.2

Nigel Charlton

I am trying to decide what lens to get. I am an enthusiastic amateur photographer with severe GAS! 

I have an xpro3 and a few lenses and own a 50mm F2 and I was thinking to buy a 56mm lens for some portraiture and general use. 

Do I purchase a used Fuji 56mm 1.2 or a Sigma 56mm 1.4? The Sigma seems to have excellent reports as does the Fuji. Some say that the Fuji misses focus on occasion. I have not seen similar reports for the Sigma. 

Does anyone have any real world advice on either lens please? 

• 4 weeks later...

I borrowed both these lenses from my camera store to compare and see if the price difference was justified. I went for the Sigma version as the difference in IQ between the two lenses was negligible compared to the difference in price. I find the Sigma gives excellent results on my X-H2.

If you already have the 50mm and need longer reach, I can’t say enough great things about the viltrox 75mm f1.2.  Inexpensive in general (549USD), and given how extremely sharp it is from corner to corner even at 1.2, it’s a steal.   It’s outstanding.    

Picking between the Fuji 56mm 1.2 and the Sigma 56mm 1.4 lenses can be challenging because both have fantastic reviews. Some users have reported that the Fuji lens misses focus occasionally, which hasn't been a problem with the Sigma lens.

You must consider your particular needs and budget when deciding between these lenses. If image quality is your top priority, you might prefer the Fuji lens. In contrast, the Sigma lens could be a better choice if you're looking for a more affordable option while maintaining high-quality results.

It's always best to try out both lenses in person to determine which feels most comfortable during use and produces the results you're seeking. Also, examine key factors such as weight, size, and autofocus speed to help make your decision. Ultimately, the best lens choice is the one that strives for your specific needs and budget while accomplishing the desired results.

• 9 months later...

Despite the lack of aperture ring and more plastic feel, I can confidently say that I prefer the Sigma 56mm 1/4 due to its lighter weight, AF performance, and AF speed. I had thought it might be a tossup, but the Sigma was the clear winner, hands down.

So I owned and used the Sigma 56mm 1.4 for a while, which I was very pleased with because the AF was fast, the IQ was amazing, and the lens itself was lightweight (which doesn't hurt). However, after going to a Fujifilm course last weekend and trying out the more expensive Fuji 56mm 1.2 WR, I decided that I just wanted to have the lens with an aperture ring. I also felt having the slightly larger maximum aperture wouldn't hurt, and I just preferred the feel of the Fuji lens in my hands because the build quality feels so much more solid.

I'd seen many people online critiquing the fact the Fuji 56 WR doesn't have a linear motor. Sure, that's not ideal, but honestly, I didn't notice a major speed issue when trying out the Fuji lens in-store. So I bought a Fuji 56 1.2 WR lens this week and thought that would be the end of my internal debate about which to use. I had planned to sell my Sigma 56.

However, after using the Fuji 56 1.2 WR lens for only a short time, I found myself being very annoyed by the louder motor, which I hadn't picked up on in-store because I was in a noisier environment. The Fuji also had a noticeably slower AF acquisition speed vs. the Sigma with both stationary and moving objects. It was like night and day, which I found very surprising because normally, I love Fuji lenses, including the XF 33 1.4 (with the LM). The motor on the Fuji just struggled. It felt like I was using a lens from the past because it was laboring to grab simple focus spots. Rather than moving quickly and precisely, it kind of moved in an uneven, jolty manner when acquiring focus to the point where I could feel my normally speedy X-T5 camera literally jerking in my hands. This becomes especially apparent when using manual focusing mode. With every twist of the ring, the motor is stepping loudly on the Fuji whereas on the Sigma, I don't hear or feel the focusing motor at all. 

In summary, the Sigma 56 1.4 feels like a modern, speedy lens that can keep up with anything. The Fuji 56 1.2 WR feels like a very old lens struggling to keep up. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought this lens was released over 10 years ago. The motor performance just isn't there. I'd equate it to using a MacBook with an older Intel processor and a loud cooling fan running compared to the latest MacBooks with the M Silicon chips that run silently. The Fuji feels like the former and the Sigma the latter.

I wish this wasn't my verdict because I'd prefer to have a Fuji lens with an aperture ring, but honestly, after using the Fuji for a few minutes, it became so clear to me that the Sigma lens was superior when it came to AF focus and overall performance. If the Fuji wasn't more than double the price of the Sigma, I might have a different opinion because I know a lot of people say the Fuji image quality is better. However, I was very disappointed by how poorly the Fuji performed given its premium price.

Edited by TumblingTiger

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Fuji XF 56mm R WR, and had the previous Gen 1 too. My philosophy is pretty simple, and I appreciate that it may not be shared by everyone, but that's ok. I bought into the Fuji eco system, because of a range of factors, including their quality and their kyzen support. Therefore I rather pay for a Fuji lens and know that it is well supported and high quality. If ever there was an issue, then Fuji will try to fix it for me.

I would consider 3rd party lenses only if there was no Fuji alternative, or I had a special desire to experience it.

I have no hesitation in recommending the XF 56mm F/1.2 R WR as a top lens, which I am using on my X-H2 to create 40 MPxl images that are optically brilliant.

Just me 2 cents' worth... :)