Yes, about 135-140 cm.

Although I have immediately replaced it myself at the time when I bought the X-E1 with this iErnest leather strap.

http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/138-a-very-“-special-leather-strap/

I wouldn’t call the original strap that came with both the X-E1 and the X-T1 ( which is still new, wrapped in the box of the camera) a piece of crap as Harlem calls it but it isn’t the most comfortable strap ut there.

It is a honest standard piece of equipment which does what it says on the label.

Frankly speaking I was more upset of the fact that the not cheap” leather” ( PU at best!) original half case came with pretty much the same strap as the standard one just in a different color ( because I bought a tan one the black one would have been the same as the camera).

But there are so many straps out there with prices varying for couple of € to several hundreds.

If you are a functionalist you might not care about any of those and just save money using the one you have been given.

Which is what I do with the X-10 ( a very much softer strap which I don’t have any need to replace).

I really don't get how you folks can shoot with a permanent strap. I've always used a quick release system. In the old days I used a Tamrac. Now I'm using an Op/Tech sling strap but I bought that particular version for a smaller mirrorless camera and find it a little too light duty for the X-T1 w/vertical grip. It hasn't indicated it will fail on me yet but it makes me a little nervous so I will likely get the bigger version soon.

Anyway, I like the sling strap a lot because it lets the camera get rotated off to my side or back when I'm carrying, allows quick spontaneous shots while still attached to the strap, and allows the strap to hang on my body when I have fully disconnected for serious shooting. The Op/Tech attaches nicely to the strap lugs so doesn't get in the way of the tripod stuff or make the camera sit funny(er) when I put it down on a table.

Mike

I really don't get how you folks can shoot with a permanent strap. I've always used a quick release system. 

I will absolutely not trust my camera kit to any buckle system except (maybe) Cobra. Fortunately, all camera-specific quick release systems nowadays are designed with a very high probability of a disastrous event, so for me personally it's a no-brainer: I don't use quick release buckles on camera straps. 

…But if you absolutely can't stand the non-detachable strap, that's the minimal "quick release" configuration that I recommend.

PS: My opinion comes from experience. Namely, 2 camera/lens combos that fell into water on 2 separate occasions (both DOA), as well as a camera (with 70-200/2.8 attached) that fell from the concert hall's balcony right to the sound operator's console. All thanks to quick release malfunctions. 

Interesting. I have been using straps with quick release buckles for many years (I'd guess at least 20) and have never had one fail for any reason. What caused the failures in your case? Did the camera get caught on something? Did they just not get snapped closed properly?

What do you mean by "Fortunately, all camera-specific quick release systems nowadays are designed with a very high probability of a disastrous event"?

Mike

Interesting. I have been using straps with quick release buckles for many years (I'd guess at least 20) and have never had one fail for any reason. What caused the failures in your case? Did the camera get caught on something? Did they just not get snapped closed properly?

What do you mean by "Fortunately, all camera-specific quick release systems nowadays are designed with a very high probability of a disastrous event"?

Mike, by "fortunately" I meant that for me there's no dilemma, no choice to make: the answer is definitely "no".

Now, regarding my experience with quick release buckles on camera straps… #1 (splashdown) happened in a very hot weather. The buckle just disengaged on its own – no physical damage or deformation. #2 (another splashdown) happened in moderately warm late spring after great many outings in extremely cold winter weather. Perhaps the plastic buckle didn't like that so it just broke at the loop side (where it attaches to the strap, not the actual clasp). That wasn't a mechanical damage, the material just broke at once. #3 probably was an operator error (I just observed this event, that wasn't me or my camera): the guy tried too hard to open and close the buckle quietly (and he did it often); perhaps that last time he didn't "click it in" with enough authority.

By the way – oddly enough, but I had my own moment of "70-200/2.8 falls to the sound operator's console from a balcony due to quick release malfunction", but that was a Manfrotto quick release on a tripod. And in my case it wasn't a RUD (Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly), as the damage was surprisingly minimal.

To sum it up: in "quick release" the key word is "release". It's not "quick secure". If you don't expect to get entangled in your camera strap in a life threatening situation, don't use a quick release. Same with the tripod heads: if you seldom have to transition from a glacial pace of tripod shooting to "running and gunning", you don't really need a quick release system.

I havnt used a shoulder/neck strap for years, I use these paracord wrist straps on my Fuji, they are excellent.  They cinch down to the wrist if yo let go of the camera, or someone tries to grab it from you, they are very comfy to use.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Paracord-Camera-Wrist-Strap-Various-Colours-Vailable-/251961766790?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aaa177386

When I used my medium format cameras, they were used predominately in the studio.

Therefore I wouldn’t have any need to have a strap on any of the cameras  ( 6 x 7 cm or 6 x 6 cm ) but I had a large wooden grip on my Pentax 6 x 7 or a pistol grip for my Rolleiflex

I have always had straps on 35mm cameras ( although back then I would use the standard strap which came with the camera and never went for extra large flashy things that were already available back then) and they never bothered me.

I've also had a Cambo-wide ( 58mm) with a 6 X 12 cm which also had a large holding grip ( no strap).

But I have more than a good reason now to use a thin strap or holding a camera while walking about and they are mainly medical. I have both problems with my hands and with my neck so a grip alone wouldn’t do and the neck has to have a wide support.

I don’t walk around with the X-T1 hanging around my neck all the time ( and I am not into what is now know as "street photography” )  and I take the camera out the bag when needed, then put it around my neck when in use to then put it back in the bag when I don’t.

I have never felt comfortable with the idea of the wrist strap or with those long body “ sling” straps with the camera hanging on the side bobbing and bumping about.

There are obviously many possibilities for as many tastes and needs as possible.

I have the feeling that some of these choices are adopted mostly to get what the photographer thinks is the “ physique du role “ and that several people are all to happy to provide us with, generally expensive, objects to complement our cameras (and looks!).

To sum it up: in "quick release" the key word is "release". It's not "quick secure". If you don't expect to get entangled in your camera strap in a life threatening situation, don't use a quick release. Same with the tripod heads: if you seldom have to transition from a glacial pace of tripod shooting to "running and gunning", you don't really need a quick release system.

Well I don't use the quick release out of the fear of becoming caught in a wood chipper and needing to get free, I just don't like shooting with a camera strap on. I only use the strap to carry the camera so my hands are free.

But I do understand your points. You're a real tie kind of guy and I'm a clip-on :)

I figure for the way I shoot I would not have the strap around my neck and the chances of catching the dangling strap on something and having the camera ripped from my hands to plunge to it's demise is actually higher than the chances of the quick release clips failing :)

Now the parachute cord wrist strap looks interesting except I'd still have to carry the camera or leave it dangling from my wrist.

Mike

I use the Fuji strap.  No complaints.

A simple, fixed length, and thin leather strap would look good on me - but I'm in no rush to get one!

My wife uses some crazy double sling holster strap system (I can't remember the name of it) when she shoots events.  Two cameras, one with a 24-70, the other with a 70-200.  She loves it.

Thanks for the reply guys!

I've tried the fuji strap with the X-T1 and it felt just a little too small for me. Also it felt like it could slide off of my shoulder pretty easily. Right now I am currently looking at the Glide One Camera Strap System and the ONA Sahel strap (which is a bit pricey, but I've tried it before and really liked the quality of it). They are both very different straps. I'm not sure.

http://www.customslr.com/products/glide-strap

http://www.onabags.com/store/small-goods/sahel.html?color=black

(On a side note, how do you guys link a site to an anchor in the text?)

Marc

I use OP/TECH straps.

I've been using both quick-release and fixed type straps for many years without a failure.  Straps are always comfortable... just enough padding with non-slip feature to keep it where you put it.

Many kinds of applications, widths, sizes, padding, connection types.  Neck, shoulder, wrist, and tripod straps that work with any type of gear.

They offer so many different styles and sizes... it can be difficult deciding which one to buy!

(On a side note, how do you guys link a site to an anchor in the text?)

First...  highlight the text by double-clicking, then click the "Link" icon...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

...then enter the URL in the dialog box, click OK.

• 3 weeks later...

@Antony

Have you tried their SpiderPro hand strap?

No, I'm not interested in hand straps - had a hand strap on my 1 Series cameras for years and never liked them. I did get the attachments for your belt for small items but have never used them.

• 3 weeks later...

i really like my Domke Gripper straps. they're durable and the price is on the cheaper side.

IMG_20150323_052242_zpswbm7spte.jpg

^

i currently have a Joby handstrap on that body.

20150711_010834_zpsxq0h2xdd.jpg

^

they're pretty narrow, yet a little wider than the Fuji-supplied straps. you can get them with the QR and without. i have one to attach one of my other bodies to my shoulder straps...

_RFG0062_zpsaa806b47.jpg

(Sent from another Galaxy)

• 3 months later...

Camera straps are probably as individual as camera bags, what suits one does not suit another. I agree with Trenton Talbot the thinktank strap is excellent, I use one on one of my X-pro's, the Domke strap is very similar in construction.

I do remember however, back in the day when I was a confirmed Olympus OM1/2 user I had a strap from Olympus [i think] which was made from braided cord, I found this to be excellent, but that was lost many moon's ago, until I spotted the braided cord strap made by cordweaver http://www.cordweaver.co.uk/product.php?s=premium-cord-leather-camera-neckshoulder-strap

I now have one [black] on my X100s and a red one on my other X-pro1, as far as I am concerned they a strong and comfortable and do not cost the earth.

But as I said in the beginning straps are an individual thing

• 4 weeks later...
Has anyone used the Holdfast Moneymakers?  I'm looking at picking them up for wedding use.  X-E1 + 23mm on one and the X-E2 + 56mm on the other.  I love the look of them especially for a dual camera setup.  I feel it would be a bit easier to blend in with a wedding crowd in these versus some of the other nylon and mesh straps.

51U25U13fqL.jpg

51U25U13fqL.jpg