What are Fuj "X Acquire" and "Cam Remote" software good for?

Astigmatism

I have "Cam Remote" installed on my iPhone, and "X Acquire" on my Mac. "Cam Remote" lets me activate the shutter and view the viewfinder remotely. "X Acquire" lets me save and restore camera settings. Both of these are useful (though I think shutter activation with a wired remote button is much simpler).

In addition, both can transfer images out of the camera. However, they both transfer 11 MB versions of jpg, rather than the 26 MB versions the card transfers. This doesn't seem useful. I haven't found a setting to change this. I haven't tried them with RAW images.

So, it seems to me "X Acquire" is useful just for saving and restoring camera settings, and "Cam Remote" isn't useful.

Am I not getting something? I mean, people clearly went to a lot of trouble to create these!

X Acquire's functions are limited for the not-main line cameras (X-T30 X-S10, etc.) to pretty much being a settings backup and restore which is useful if you have put a lot of time into customizing your settings and want a backup. For the more main line cameras (X-T3, etc.) X Acquire has more features available.

For Camera Remote, the file transfer size setting is found in the camera's Set Up (wrench / spanner) menu --> Connection Setting --> General Settings --> Resize Image For Smartphone (on/off). 'On' is recommended for faster file transfer and for tablets or smartphones that cannot handle the larger sizes.

Camera Remote is very (extremely) useful for checking focus, etc. when using the body in manual focus situations, where looking through the view finder / lcd screen is not practical -- (highly magnifying the scene) touching the body causes vibrations, which means you cannot tell if the focus is on or just off a bit. Some folks use it with microscopes, I use it with my telescopes, both for checking focus and for a technique called plate solving -- which helps you decide if you really are pointing the camera in the direction you think you are.

Right now, the latest version of IOS is causing a lot of problems with Camera Remote, the Bluetooth connection part is working fine, but the wifi connection part is messed up for many cameras -- it is the same old story, Apple / Android updates their stuff and apps that used to be fine break. Hopefully Fujifilm will be able to fix this soon, sooner than soon.

Edited by jerryy

1 hour ago, jerryy said:

Camera Remote is very (extremely) useful for checking focus, etc. when using the body in manual focus situations, where looking through the view finder / lcd screen is not practical

Wow. Well, asked, and answered! Thank you for an excellent and thoughtful reply!

Once upon a time, I used cameras on telescopes. I spent a summer shooting star fields through a triplet refractor whose 8" objective was actually made by Cooke, with a 5" refractor guide scope whose objective was made by Alvan Clark. But that was 43 years ago. I think things have changed!

• 1 month later...

many folks complain about the camera remote app.  I have no issues with it.  I use it with my X and GFX series.  Yes, sometimes it fail but that's far and few in between uses.  I love the GPS feature, and the remote timer.  I don't use any of the other features such as the transfer.  Overall, though a bit finicky I like it very much.

• 1 month later...

Love this thread! Good questions and answers.

Here is a thread I started, and posting it here for focused audience:

I have been using Fuji XT2 since 2017. Only recently, the Fujifilm Camera Remote app for android is causing a problem. Every time I connect the Camera Remote app to my XT2, the picture format shifts to square format. Now, we know, there is no setting to change the picture format in the Camera Remote app. I am unable to use the Camera Remote app, as square is not a format I need to shoot in. Any suggestions will be of great help!

Some information: I am using One Plus phone, and the version of my Camera Remote app is 4.6.1 (build 4.6.1.2)

Since I am using an X-T5, downsampling 40 to 11MP my images look just great for social media. I would not consider using this app for anything else such as printing. It's just a simple tool, not much more than a toy. For what it does it does pretty well, I have used other's software such as Oly and Canons and they are kludgy.