My wish list for the successor of the X-Pro1!!

Hello X-Pro shooters, If there will be a successor of the X-Pro1 is not quite sure, but I hope so.

The beautiful camera design must be the same, but a little smaller would be nice for my (like the size of the X-E1/2).

I don’t like an ISO dial at the top. It is not aesthetic for the design of the X-Pro (ISO set per Fn is fast or probably faster).

The new X-Pro should have:

- 24MP sensor

- 14-bit RAW

- Expanded exposure compensation (at least +/- 3 EV)

- faster processor (EXR III?)

- weather/dust sealing  

- faster & enhanced AF system (like the X-T1 with firmware ver. 4.0)

- mechanical shutter speed up to 1/8000 of a second

- high-speed electronic shutter up to 1/32000 of a second

- improved OVF with real-time parallax correction 

- improved EVF with high refresh rate (like the X-T1)

- 3 inch TILT LCD monitor with 1.23 million-dot

- Q-menu customization

- interval timer shooting

- face detection

- eye detection

- USB charging and battery charging

- dual slot

- WiFi

Not essential for me!

- advanced filters

- movie recording

The AF has to be something much better - more powerful than the X-T1, something like 96% PD coverage on the sensor with -1 EV sensitivity, and advanced CD autofocus with -4 EV sensitivity (and faster than the actual one).

Also the battery should be better, with larger capacity. A touch LCD screen would be also nice.

Of course this technology would then find it´s way to the X-T2 and X-E3 - I think the X-E3 is waiting for a new sensor and processor, that´s why there´s still no sign of it for now.

Hello X-Pro shooters, If there will be a successor of the X-Pro1 is not quite sure, but I hope so.

The beautiful camera design must be the same, but a little smaller would be nice for my (like the size of the X-E1/2).

I don’t like an ISO dial at the top. It is not aesthetic for the design of the X-Pro (ISO set per Fn is fast or probably faster).

- 24MP sensor

- 14-bit RAW

- weather/dust sealing  

- Q-menu customization

- face detection

- eye detection

- dual slot

- WiFi

Not essential for me!

- advanced filters

- movie recording

Sounds like a reasonable plan.

- 24MP sensor

- 14-bit RAW

- weather/dust sealing  

- Q-menu customization

- face detection

- eye detection

- dual slot

- WiFi

Not essential for me!

- advanced filters

- movie recording

I add 4K video

The AF has to be something much better - more powerful than the X-T1, something like 96% PD coverage on the sensor with -1 EV sensitivity, and advanced CD autofocus with -4 EV sensitivity (and faster than the actual one).

Also the battery should be better, with larger capacity. A touch LCD screen would be also nice.

Of course this technology would then find it´s way to the X-T2 and X-E3 - I think the X-E3 is waiting for a new sensor and processor, that´s why there´s still no sign of it for now.

Your AF expectations are rather high, but I hope Fuji can meet your expectations.

I'm afraid that the X-T10 is meant as the successor of the X-E2 is.

Additions:

Wifi is not working well, you need to be very quick to get connected to your iphone or ipad app..

As a long term tarhet, Lens sizes and weights should be reduced to Leica levels. Fuji shoulld repeat its succcess also in this area. Camera sizes are wonderful but lenses need to get smaller and lighter. If nccessary I am open to the idea of havi g lenses without auto focus feature to get ris of the electric motors inside.

Live view is not fully showing the ovwr exposures well enough. A small red number on the below left corner is not enough. The state of being over exposed should be well visible in the live view and/ EVF.

On the X-T1 I don't like that the iso button has a lock on the top. Why? Because it is already stiff enough to turn it accidentially and I use it very frequently. To release and unlock it everytime is a pain in the neck honestly..

Virtual ND filters should be put also into the XE2 and XT1..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I add 4K video

I don't.

I think that the pro platform is just not the right one to have vide capabilities like this.

Pana made it also clear and split between GH and G... for good reason I think.

T-T2 will have 4k (if Fuji can overcome the technical issues at all) and I guess that's good.

Having said this: I don't mind it at all, as long as it does not compromise the still shooting of the pro2

As a long term tarhet, Lens sizes and weights should be reduced to Leica levels. Fuji shoulld repeat its succcess also in this area. Camera sizes are wonderful but lenses need to get smaller and lighter. If nccessary I am open to the idea of havi g lenses without auto focus feature to get ris of the electric motors inside.

You made it clear in your post: Same size than Leica means to get rid of AF. You can wish for everything... but it is highly unlikely.

As is, I think that most lenses are in fact a good balance between performance and size - coming from Canon I recon that even the EF-S line is not as compact. And the Fujis are clearly in a class of their own as far as mechanical and optical construction is concerned.

My dream would be: Keep the Pro1 and just replace internals...

It will not happen :(

Fuji lives with the idea of having to do all things smaller. So the Pro2 will be smaller. It will again look like a poor mans Leica. Maybe like the Leica CL. Which is small. They will then need a new, smaller standard glas in order not to obstruct the OVF. Propably the 35/2 will fit. They will add a fragile tilt screen. I will not use it. Internally they will first show the 3rd generation sensor and cpu. With a perfect AF. They will also expand video capabilities. Since I can't tell you if my Pro1 is able to take videos, I don't care too much about that .

Anyway. I'm ready to buy one. If it is not too small.

Btw: Shouldn't we expect a mature housing for the 100-400? Even the T1 with BG is too small for this monster.

As a long term tarhet, Lens sizes and weights should be reduced to Leica levels.

Leica says even they couldn’t build lenses that small if these were to be equipped with state-of-the-art electronics and AF, so there you are …

I'm sure this is already fait accompli, but I just want wifi control and a built in intervalometer.   The Samyang 12MM f2 is such a fantastic star photography lens, that I want to do timelapses with it.         I may get a used XE2 one of these days as prices come down, but I am trying to save all those pennies for XPro2. :-) 

I want a tilt screen, but if it adds bulk, then I'd say no and leave that for the ersatz SLR-form XT bodies. I would not want an extra few mm of bulk for a tiltscreen. 

-Mick 

- newer sensor, more megapixels but more importantly, more dynamic range. 

- 14-bit RAW or better

- weather/dust sealing

- same buttons as X-Pro1 or bigger, move away from small XT-1 buttons

- more responsive all around, AF, OVF/EVF, card writes, etc. to live up to its pro name

- Q-menu deeper customization options, let each custom bank feel like a different camera for varied shooting scenarios, allow settings to be exported to card to set up on multiple bodies

- richer flash controls & flash synch, license Canon's flash tech and/or work with lighting manufacturers to bring off camera high-speed sync

- if it has Wifi and other bells & whistles then have a classic/retro option to turn off everything but basic still camera functions to prolong battery life

- make a monochrome version, ideally make the sensor unit modular to swap out

Lots of good wants from people but the original was pretty good, even the focussing is OK for me.

Although I would not argue with most of the suggestions so far, I will come to that below, things not mentioned would be ....

Side SD card access

Battery access without having to remove the tripod mount

Bad changes would be having a tilt screen ...... don't do it Fuji!

Don't care about video!

I want this, this and that, ok it's pointless because nobody cares, all the people posting here have their own special very relevant wishes that are more relevant than other people wishes, and Fuji is not reading this post let alone care, but am just gonna post it anyway so it can slip in the lymbs of internet where nothing makes sense and everything is quickly forgotten.

Don't ask me how I know but I know. It's out in December, not September  as many rumors said. It is 24MP. I'm getting one. 

You might be right. Just my speculation, but an internet search shows quite a few dealers are out of stock or don't carry the current X Pro 1. In US, a $200 discount on new bodies (that ended yesterday) might have been a last push to unload remaining stock. No one is listing it as discontinued mind you and I would not expect that. But.........maybe something wicked this way comes.  ^_^

The interesting point is which magnifications the X-Pro2's OVF will feature. For example I personally require 16mm and 50mm or 55mm. These will allow to shoot 16mm and 56mm almost at their native magnifications. 16-55 and 50-140 could be shot without magnification swich.

I like the OP's list.  

I would also add:

1. more angular design, like the difference between a Pana LX100 and the Leica version (D-Lux type 109).  I'm not a big fan of slopes and weird angles.  Personal taste though.

2. ISO dial, although not a deal breaker would be nice.  Would easily fit where the rewind knob is on a film rangefinder and would maintain the retro look.

3. Better manual focus.  Not sure how, but it still lags a rangefinder by quite a large margin

4. 3 Stop +/- auto bracket, multiple exposures, maybe up to 7?

5. Better focus point selection.  This sucks on most cameras, at least for me.  Touch screen selection is great when not using the viewfinder.  When using the viewfinder, the lower right quarter of the screen could be used in conjunction with an tracking illuminated point in the EVF, and possibly OVF, although that seems like it would be trickier.

6. More rangefinder style (slower) lenses in classic FOV's.  I don't want a gigantic f1.4 16mm.  I want a discrete f2, or even 2.8.  

7:  EDIT:  Forgot to add make the grip removeable.  

Don't care about video at all.  Size is fine, but a bit smaller would be OK.  

Hi

I've had my X-Pro1 for over 2 years and I am very happy with it.

I'm generally in agreement with the wish lists noted here, though I am really hoping for minimal changes. I'd like to see updated control layout based on lessons learned from other X series, faster operation, colour focus peaking and a few software tweaks. More mp are OK as long as this doesn't reduce the outstanding quality and feel of the sensor.

The one thing I do not want is a smaller camera. I don't see any advantage, and some strong disadvantages. The X-Pro1 is small and yet not cramped. I do not have large hands, but I find that the obsession over size has produced cramped cameras. I like a small and light system too, but it's the overall system (camera and lens) that matters to me and a few mm shaved from the camera won't make much difference.

But, if they make it smaller without compromising the feel and action, I'll be fine.

I won't rush to upgrade. I have zero issues with my X-Pro1.

I like the OP's list.  

I would also add:

1. more angular design, like the difference between a Pana LX100 and the Leica version (D-Lux type 109).  I'm not a big fan of slopes and weird angles.  Personal taste though.

2. ISO dial, although not a deal breaker would be nice.  Would easily fit where the rewind knob is on a film rangefinder and would maintain the retro look.

3. Better manual focus.  Not sure how, but it still lags a rangefinder by quite a large margin

4. 3 Stop +/- auto bracket, multiple exposures, maybe up to 7?

5. Better focus point selection.  This sucks on most cameras, at least for me.  Touch screen selection is great when not using the viewfinder.  When using the viewfinder, the lower right quarter of the screen could be used in conjunction with an tracking illuminated point in the EVF, and possibly OVF, although that seems like it would be trickier.

6. More rangefinder style (slower) lenses in classic FOV's.  I don't want a gigantic f1.4 16mm.  I want a discrete f2, or even 2.8.  

7:  EDIT:  Forgot to add make the grip removeable.  

Don't care about video at all.  Size is fine, but a bit smaller would be OK.  

Please, no design changes and, as I mentioned earlier, no ISO dial at the top; it is unaesthetic related to the design of the X-Pro and unnecessary (ISO set per Fn is faster). If you want a more angular design than maybe the X-T1 is something for you.

You don't want a gigantic f1.4 16mm. I can recommend the f2.0 18mm: light weight, small, fast, and relatively inexpensive. Maybe not the best Fujinon lens, but certainly not bad.

There were a lot of good ideas in this thread, I could subscribe to most of them- under the premise that the upcoming model keeps the key ideas and the character of the X-Pro1...

As I´m mostly happy with the existing camera, I´d focus on the few quirks Fuji ought to sort out:

I´d be a bit disappointed if the X-Pro2

- has no permanent live update on the parallax corrections and focus point in OVF

- still has nothing to do for the perfectly placed thumb wheel (Menu-ISO-Focus point !)

- has still only full stop clicks on the shutter speed dial (it´s big enough- come on)

And... In fact, the rest will come naturally and as a bonus.

Of course AF and sensor IQ and the menus and WiFi will be there, but honestly that will not have such a huge impact for me as I like the X-Pro1 so much now.