X-T5 with XF10-24 lens

SGinNorcal

Hello all,

I am a new Fuji user and just joined the forum.  I have a question that I don't see addressed previously, hopefully I searched correctly.

Anyway, I purchased the X-T5 in December on release.  I spent a great deal of time looking at various camera systems, settling first on APSC then further on Fuji X-T.  I was getting ready to buy the X-T4 when I heard of the 5's pending release.  I waited and purchased simply because it was the latest and figured there would be no downside.  My intended use for my setup is for backpacking primarily followed by general purpose, non-pro use.  My intention was to purchase the 10-24 and 55-200 for backpacking and 16-80 as a kit lens for general purpose.  My initial impressions of the camera and 16-80mm are really favorable, I'm really pleased with the decision.  I purchased the other two on Ebay, both in apparent very good condition.  The 10-24 arrived first and I immediately loved its epic wideness.  But I immediately noticed blurriness on the right side on several frames.  Not really softness but an out of focus look despite the distances to the object in the frame being equal.  The following day, I went to the same locations and took as similar as possible photos with the 16-80 (getting focal length, f-stop, ISO as close as I could).  The result was no blurr.  So my first thought was that the lens was defective and contacted the Ebay seller.  He took it back but has since contacted me claiming the lens works fine for him on his X-T2 or 3 (can't remember).  I have no reason not to believe him, he gave me no hassle on the return.  The other used lens, the 55-200 is very sharp with no issues.  I am considering to go ahead and purchase a new 10-24 for weather sealing and a warranty.  But I am wondering if there are people here using this lens body combo and have noticed anything similar.  I don't want to wind up having similar problems with a new lens and shipping it back and forth.  Any comments or thoughts?  Thank you in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar experience with my first version of the 10-24mm f/4 lens.  I saw ‘smearing’ at the edges.  Others who I knew and had the X-T5 told me that the second version, with weather sealing, performed better with their X-T5 than the original.  I purchased the newer version.  Although it is not perfect, it is much better at the edges and corners.  I am fine with it’s performance for the vast majority of my images but if I have an image where very important detail is on the edge of the frame, I’ll run the raw file through either DXO or Topaz Sharpen AI to improve the edges.  A couple of weeks ago, I published a post on my blog with my assessment and provided some example images.  If you care to read it, it can be found here:  https://www.thewanderinglensman.com/2023/01/follow-up-on-fujifilm-xf-10-24mm-lens.html.  I hope this might help you a little.

On 1/9/2023 at 6:45 PM, SGinNorcal said:

Hello all,

I am a new Fuji user and just joined the forum.  I have a question that I don't see addressed previously, hopefully I searched correctly.

Anyway, I purchased the X-T5 in December on release.  I spent a great deal of time looking at various camera systems, settling first on APSC then further on Fuji X-T.  I was getting ready to buy the X-T4 when I heard of the 5's pending release.  I waited and purchased simply because it was the latest and figured there would be no downside.  My intended use for my setup is for backpacking primarily followed by general purpose, non-pro use.  My intention was to purchase the 10-24 and 55-200 for backpacking and 16-80 as a kit lens for general purpose.  My initial impressions of the camera and 16-80mm are really favorable, I'm really pleased with the decision.  I purchased the other two on Ebay, both in apparent very good condition.  The 10-24 arrived first and I immediately loved its epic wideness.  But I immediately noticed blurriness on the right side on several frames.  Not really softness but an out of focus look despite the distances to the object in the frame being equal.  The following day, I went to the same locations and took as similar as possible photos with the 16-80 (getting focal length, f-stop, ISO as close as I could).  The result was no blurr.  So my first thought was that the lens was defective and contacted the Ebay seller.  He took it back but has since contacted me claiming the lens works fine for him on his X-T2 or 3 (can't remember).  I have no reason not to believe him, he gave me no hassle on the return.  The other used lens, the 55-200 is very sharp with no issues.  I am considering to go ahead and purchase a new 10-24 for weather sealing and a warranty.  But I am wondering if there are people here using this lens body combo and have noticed anything similar.  I don't want to wind up having similar problems with a new lens and shipping it back and forth.  Any comments or thoughts?  Thank you in advance.

Went out today to take some photos with my XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS with the X-T5.  I don't have the latest version of that lens with WR but it performed very nicely.  I saw some light blurring in the corners at 10mm F10 but for the most part, I'm very please with the lens on the X-T5.  When I used to shoot a Canon 5D Mk II and 1Ds Mk II with their equivalent of the 10-24, I saw a lot more softness in the corners of the lens compared to the Fuji cameras I've owned (X-E1, XE2, X-T1 and X-T2)

Edited by stulevine

Thanks guys,

I've attached a heavily cropped version of the file to show what I mean.  The left side of the shot is blurry where the left is sharp to the edges.  On left, there are things closer and further than the building on the right and both still sharp.  This was common over several photos.  So not really soft edges but a whole soft right side.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I read through Dennis's blog post and I think I'm convinced to purchase a new version of this lens.  Actually, even the original photos are better than those I was getting from the copy I was using.  If I can get similar results to those, I'll be really happy.  I love the ultra width this lens has, what epic expanses!

I really appreciate the discussion.  Have a great day.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have fully tested the [old] 10-24 on my X-T5 and have found it still to be the excellent lens it has always been . . . only sharper.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 1/10/2023 at 6:45 AM, SGinNorcal said:

Hello all,

I have never noticed any blurriness on my 10-24 lens.  I believe you have a defective lens.

On 3/29/2023 at 5:25 AM, DrJeffBangkok said:

I have never noticed any blurriness on my 10-24 lens.  I believe you have a defective lens.

I believe you are correct.  The new one has no issues and I like it very much.  It still doesn't match a prime for ultimate detail but I think this lens strength is the ability to capture a wide angle scene.  For that function it works very well.

• 1 month later...

As a longer term follow-up to my post, I really like the 2nd copy of this lens I purchased.  It appears that the first one was de-centered.  The 2nd, a WR version, has become one of my favorite lenses.  Especially at the wide end, it gets a perspective that I really love for shooting landscapes.