18-135mm vs 18-55 + 55-200mm

Amandakv

I am trying to decide on 18-135mm or breaking that up into 18-55mm + 55-200mm. I have a xT4 and a 35mm f1.8. 

I enjoy shooting travel photography, cities, animals and nature, and landscape. Mostly for my pleasure but occasionally I sell my prints. I carry my camera a lot so I am leaning towards the 18-135 but I don't want my photos to suffer. 

Either way you go, your photos will not suffer, both combinations can easily deliver print-worthy images. If your budget is not entirely constrained, maybe toss the 50-140mm lens into the consideration.

Is it possible for you to rent the groups for a few days or a week or so and test them to see which combination suits your shooting style, low light handling, focus speed, etc.?

I have the 18-135 and like it just fine. Wow, this thing does a lot. If I could only have one lens, this would be it (but I have about 8 and am very fond of primes).

The thing is, if you would appreciate only carrying one object, not changing lenses, not needing something to keep the other lens safe in, and always being ready to cover this wide range when the moment calls for it, the single zoom wins.

The nicest camera in the world is the one that you have available and prepared the moment you need it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• I have an X-T5 and am having the same problems with write errors in both SD slots. I'm using Lexar Pro cards that have been formatted for the camera. Any suggestions other than sending it back (at great expense) to Fuji Canada?  
    • Some elements in (autofocus) lenses are „floating“, so I guess what you are experiencing is normal.
    • How do I turn off the electronic shutter in the menu - the option is grayed out and I cannot select the mechanical option
    • I'm having trouble finding a way to attach a right-angle viewfinder to the Fuji X-H1 camera. Does anyone have experience with how the angle viewfinder behaves in combination with the EVF? Is the Minolta frame diameter of the right angle viewfinder suitable for attaching to the Fuji XH1 (or XT1, 2, 3, 5)? Does anyone have knowledge about which eyepiece is compatible with the Fuji X system? Thank you in advance for any assistance and information you can provide.    
    • I purchased a gently used XF 80mm f/2.8 aspherical macro for my X-T5. Not being familiar with this lens but having had experience with the Leica T mount 60mm macro and Canon and Zeiss macros, I was surprised that I felt what might be best described as a loose lens element that shifted when I tilted the lens, even before being mounted to the camera. In manual focus mode, the lens is fine, but there is a distinct “wobble” when the lens is in autofocus mode. I reported this to the company (I bought it from KEH), and they agreed this was odd and accepted it back for a full refund. I just got a replacement lens and the same thing is happening. I’ve never had an experience in which I feel a lens element loose inside the housing. Is this normal? Should I return it (again)?