Stick with 18-55mm or trade in for 16-80mm?

teaandcake

Hi,

I’ve had a Fuji X-T30 for a couple of years and I’m considering upgrading to the X-T5. I was going to get it body only, but I’m now wondering if I should take advantage of the kit pricing and get it with the 16-80mm lens? 
I love my 18-55mm lens and use it a lot but often find I would like a bit more reach. I’ve seen such varying reviews on the 16-80mm so I’m not sure if I should go for it or not? I mostly photograph landscapes, sometimes wildlife, nature, anything but people. 😂 

I also currently have a 10-24mm and 35mm. I’m hoping to get the 70-300mm refurbished from Fuji if it’s ever in stock so I can photograph some wildlife and to give me more reach for landscapes. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on the 16-80mm vs the 18-55mm, particularly on the X-T5? 

Thanks for your help. 😊 

In my experience there is more sample variation with this lens, at least initially, than the 18-55. My first 16-80 was unacceptably unshared at both 16mm and 80mm. My current version, bought with the X-T5, is more than acceptable wide open and tack sharp stopped down, significantly better all around than the 18-55. Not sure if this helps much.

Thanks for your reply, good to know the 16-80mm performs well on the X-T5. 😊

I’m wondering if the 16-80mm might be better for a little more reach? My concern is the increased size and weight compared to the 18-55mm. Is it very cumbersome in comparison ? I’m patiently waiting for refurbished stock of the 70-300mm from Fuji so hopefully I can get that lens next year. I think those 2 lenses would provide great range. 

I have been shooting an X-T3 starting with an 18-55 for 3+ years.  During that time I tried the 16-80.  On a photography trip, I loved the reach.  The images were ok until I downloaded them an compared th same scene shot with the 10-24.  I sold the 16-80 immediately.  (I don’t tolerate soft images, well.)

Having said that, I have read the quality control has improved on the more recent production runs.  I would only try another one from a vendor I could return if I found it soft again.  FWIW.

4 hours ago, X-fan said:

I have been shooting an X-T3 starting with an 18-55 for 3+ years.  During that time I tried the 16-80.  On a photography trip, I loved the reach.  The images were ok until I downloaded them an compared th same scene shot with the 10-24.  I sold the 16-80 immediately.  (I don’t tolerate soft images, well.)

Having said that, I have read the quality control has improved on the more recent production runs.  I would only try another one from a vendor I could return if I found it soft again.  FWIW.

Interesting. I would be getting a new 16-80mm bundled with the X-T5 so would hope it’s up to standard. If there are issues I could return it. 

This link might help you decide - tekkie reviews of lenses - quite old but I have found them valuable - both are considered in this.   Impression I've had is that the 18-55 is pretty good for optical quality and the 16-80 less well regarded.  It's also not on the list of lenses which can 'fully resolve' the 40mpx sensor - whatever that means (but then neither is the 18-55mm).  

https://www.photozone.de/fuji_x 

Regarding sample variation. I have seen two very bad 18-55s and a bad 10-24, which my friend had to return to Fuji for repair twice before they would recognise there was a problem. I had a 10-24  that was fairly poor at the edges. I sold it. It seems that you can get the occasional bad apple with any lens. I have an 18-55 and the 16-80. My samples are about on a par optically and quite acceptable. I find the 16-80 to be a much more versatile lens. Additionally it has a much more capable ios. It is so good that you can forget about the loss of a stop at the wide end, except in the case of subject movement of course. Most of the reviews of the 16-80 seem to be expecting too much. Remember, it's a 5:1 zoom and is never going to be as sharp as a prime

• 4 months later...

I have the xt5 and the 16-80. The 16-80 seems to be a very good lens even on the 40mp sensor. I am in the process of comparing it to the tamron 17-70 f2.8 which I assumed from reviews would be significantly sharper. It seems marginally sharper on some photos and on others the 16-80 looks sharper. With the back and fourth I’m seeing I’m wondering if it’s due to the focusing of the xt5 rather than the resolution of the lenses.  Not quite finished testing but so far I’m leaning towards keeping the 16-80. 

• 9 months later...
On 12/16/2022 at 12:58 AM, teaandcake said:

Hi,

I’ve had a Fuji X-T30 for a couple of years and I’m considering upgrading to the X-T5. I was going to get it body only, but I’m now wondering if I should take advantage of the kit pricing and get it with the 16-80mm lens? 
I love my 18-55mm lens and use it a lot but often find I would like a bit more reach. I’ve seen such varying reviews on the 16-80mm so I’m not sure if I should go for it or not? I mostly photograph landscapes, sometimes wildlife, nature, anything but people. 😂 

I also currently have a 10-24mm and 35mm. I’m hoping to get the 70-300mm refurbished from Fuji if it’s ever in stock so I can photograph some wildlife and to give me more reach for landscapes. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on the 16-80mm vs the 18-55mm, particularly on the X-T5? 

Thanks for your help. 😊 

The 16-80 adds little and weighs a good deal more, also f2.8 vs. f4. I would stick with the 18-55.