The humble (though honorable) XC 50-230mm f 4.5.-6.7

milandro

Merсi.

Was processed from RAF. 

I never liked play with settings for JPEGs and here what I got straight from the camera: 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...

When I bought my X-E1 I set about getting "cheap" kit lenses to cover the waterfront; the 16-50 and the 50-230. On the whole I found them to be very good lenses, but need to be handled with kid gloves if they're going to last. The other XF lenses are much more rugged. Low price, good IQ, lightweight, OIS? I'm in!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I purchased a "version 1" 50-230mm about a year ago, but I haven't given it much use. Today I took it out for a hiking trip I got 2 "lens error" messages, I was using it on my X-e1 body. I turned the camera on/off both times and that cleared the error.

While driving home I thought to check if there may have been a firmware update that I'd missed and the Fujifilm web site shows that there was a firmware update from ver 1.0 to ver 1.1, but it is listed for the XC 50-230mm OIS II, not for my older lens.

Question: Should I or can I, upgrade the firmware on my older lens with this new firmware version for the II lens?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Hello everyone, I purchased a "version 1" 50-230mm about a year ago, but I haven't given it much use. Today I took it out for a hiking trip I got 2 "lens error" messages, I was using it on my X-e1 body. I turned the camera on/off both times and that cleared the error.

While driving home I thought to check if there may have been a firmware update that I'd missed

Instead of firmware update, just try to clean contacts on both lens and camera bayonet. 
Use cotton swab wetted with alcohol (ethanol, propanol), lab-grade if possible. 
Don't do abrasive wiping with sandpaper etc.
Gold-plated contacts can look clean but has thin oil-like layer which is just condensed from air, especially in urban areas. Or even oxidation film.
Edited by Vidalgo

• 5 months later...

still humble and looked down and frowned upon by lens snobs, methinks, there’s nothing wrong with this lens

• 2 weeks later...

I have quite a few much more expensive XF lenses. I like them all. Some, such as the 16mm, are just very special. However, I have no issue with using this XC lens anytime. It has produced images that hold their own right next to images captured from the much higher priced X lenses. The only downside I see to this lens is speed and the plastic components, and most of the time, this is not an issue for me. I like that it is light and that the IS seems to work very well. I have no particular issues with slow focus. I can capture birds in flight just fine as well.

These are just a couple of images from an overcast day in not ideal conditions. They have been 1:2 cropped and downsized so lose sharpness. Still, I like the images and when the conditions for good exposure the lens produces wonderful results. I like the XC 16-50mm as much. Very nice images with that lens. I compare them to images from my 18-55mm and they hold up very well, only lose on speed and build materials.

I wold not describe this is a lens that is good for the money. I would say it is a very nice lens capable of producing sharp contrasty images for a price that is significantly lower than the similar focal ranges in the XF version. However, you give up speed and quality of construction materials (plastic vs metal). I would not say the result from the glass is much different from its XF counterparts zooms in these ranges. 

Edited by pcovers

not only wildlife

Sunset in Egypt.

• 3 weeks later...

i just purchased this lens (prices have slid up, I was happy to find one on ebay for a little over $200) and I am happy with the cost and the image quality so far. I took some indoor shots at my youngest's 8th grade graduation and it had some trouble focusing (as expected), but the results were generally very nice.

34999696276_02d1203374_z.jpg

I am headed to The Netherlands and Germany at the end of the month, and while a pricier prime lens would have been great, it's a family vacation and I will do just fine with the kit 16-50 and the 50-230 on my XM-1. I got all of it used, and have less than $500 invested so far, as my entry into the Fujifilm family. The light weight, the cost, and the type of shooting I'll be doing (family, sights and scenery) all make sense! I spent a lot of time here researching, so thanks to everyone for your insights. If the 27 or 35 had been in my budget, I'm sure one of those would spend plenty of time on the camera, but it is what it is! 

The only remaining decision is whether or not I bring the old Canon AE-1 as well....

Edited by DavidPT

• 1 month later...

Humble leaves with an humble lens  :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

still more and more honorable

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't had much of a chance to use either the XC 50-230 or the X-T2 much yet, but these are from the first outing for the lens. My ideal lens will be the 100-400mm, but seriously...$$$$