The humble (though honorable) XC 50-230mm f 4.5.-6.7

milandro

Just for the record: this discussion is useless. If it is f11 or f16 does not matter that much, since it is in any case much less than any 2.8 or 4.0 optics and that is my point.

Given that I am not a "tele photographer" at all (I would better have kept my Canon system for the shier amount of teles otherwise), I repeat: its for sure a great lens in the right hands and I do not doubt its usefulness.

Its just not for me.

By the way: the more expensive 4.8 lens is no alternative for me, since you are right - its just one stop more....

On the other hand I am looking forward to buy a 90, and that is a far as I need.

pretty clear.

you never used this lens, have only read something about it , refuse to look at and comment on the pictures shown, and declare that it is not for you ( though saying is a great lens!) but have never used it or can say anything  based on direct experience about its use and qualities.

No further questions your honor, I rest my case.

I am extremely calm, but am an articulated writer who likes explaining his thoughts making them clear. Don’t confuse anger with the full expressing of someone's thoughts, experiences and ideas most of the times based on direct experience.

I enjoy life to its fullest.

A very good day to you too Sir. Buy your 90mm and be happy. I won’t comment on this lens ( the 90mm) despite having a little experience with it , having shot a few pictures in a shop, but, unlike you with no experience with the 50-230 but holding an opinion about this lesn,  I consider it too little to give an informed opinion on it.

An occasional shot from that lens.

128mm 1/90sec f/9 iso1600

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Look at the charts of a great many lenses at http://www.photozone/ and a trend emerges. Very fast lenses increase their center sharpness until about f/4.0 with slower lenses hitting their peak in the range of f/5.6 to f/8.0. Almost universally, f/11 shows some drop-off. By f/16-f/22 the drop-off is terrifying. No matter now widely absolute numbers may vary, the charts follow the same pattern.

Oddly, it does not show much difference when actually making photographs—without pixel peeping. Even in the optical lab, the difference between f/8.0 and f/11 tends to be quite minimal. This holds true for pretty much every lens they have tested, no matter the focal length. For your own information, shoot the same shot at f/5.6 and at f/16. Make prints and compare.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got the 50-230mm OIS when it was on sale the other day for $240.  Actually, I didn't notice that I got the older version until I already paid for the unit.  I tested it at the store vs the 55-200 and surprisingly the 50-230 was sharper.  I tried 2 copies of the 55-200 just to be sure.  Maybe I just got lucky and found a very good copy. 

In terms of physical lens quality, the 55-200 wins HAND DOWN.  That lens is a beauty although its much heavier.  So far I am happy with the 50-230 and will try some soccer shots tomorrow :) 

Just got the 50-230mm OIS when it was on sale the other day for $240.  Actually, I didn't notice that I got the older version until I already paid for the unit.

By the way, is there a visible exterior sign of which version is on the shelf? I believe both lense and package should be properly labeled for a new version.

I came back to my trip to Spain and I'm in the process of selecting and editing the images.  Here are some with the 50-230mm

21553461944_299ff48fda_c.jpgAt the park. Parque de la Ciudadela.  Pamplona, Spain by Marcelo Valente, on Flickr

230mm f/6.7

22163620762_ec1a20b291_c.jpgIndian Sikhs and their wifes at the Parque de la Ciudadela.  Pamplona, Spain by Marcelo Valente, on Flickr

171.6mm f/6.7

I also saw the OIS II packaged as a kit lens.  Tested it with the old version and could not feel much difference.  Yes, the only difference in marking is on the face where there is an OIS II marked.  

Compared both copies and the older one was tad sharper so I'm happy with my buy. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, did you happen to go to Piémanson? I read this article and it seemed like a fascinating place, reading your post reminded me again of it (some great photos in the article too, pulled from a photo book)-

http://roadsandkingdoms.com/2014/last-days-of-a-wild-beach-qa-with-vasantha-yogananthan/

My tribute in Camargue 2014 om X-E2 Jpeg Velvia simulation..

28ujv3m.jpg

rhiusz.jpg

fk4i93.jpg

30a8bx1.jpg

Love my copy of this lens, Bargain!!!

• 11 months later...

It never ceases to please me ...

Eilat Mountains.

A kind of remote landscape with compression.

Looks a bit flat though.

Taken from hotelarrow-10x10.png balcony through the small gap between the surrounding buildings. :)