FUJIFILM X-T5 AF-S priority "focus" doesn´t priorize focus

Petr

Hello, I found that FUJIFILM X-T5 setted with AF-S priority to "focus" doesn´t priorize focus and allow shoot before scene covered with focus point is in focus. Camera has first and only FW 1.0. Tried with Fujifilm 16-55 2,8.

Is there any possibility to report bug officially to camera developers?

Thanks Petr

On 12/11/2022 at 1:51 PM, Petr said:

Hello, I found that FUJIFILM X-T5 setted with AF-S priority to "focus" doesn´t priorize focus and allow shoot before scene covered with focus point is in focus. Camera has first and only FW 1.0. Tried with Fujifilm 16-55 2,8.

Thanks Petr

Any chance you have AF+M selected in the AF menu?

Interesting observation 

I recently returned my XT5 as I felt that images were to soft and it was with the 16-55mm lens specifically with AFS-S.

comparing with my XT3 I saw that there was a difference in sharpness and rendition detail.

Edited by crema17

On 12/12/2022 at 4:07 PM, Greybeard said:

Any chance you have AF+M selected in the AF menu?

On 12/11/2022 at 8:51 AM, Petr said:

Thanks Petr

There is a firmware update for the XT5 -- 1.01. https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/support/download/firmware/cameras/x-t5/

• 2 months later...

Advice needed.

I bought the FujiFilm X-T5 and now know why the X series has such a great following. I have shot images on Olympus and Lumix micro four thirds for 10 years and love the system. However, I wanted to move to the APS-C world for a bit better noise and DR.

Unfortunately, ALL of my pictures are not as tack sharp as my m43 images or X-T5 images I see from others. I am shooting with IS continuous, AF-S mode, center weighted exposure, F5.6 with a Fujinon 18mm F1.4 lens which I was told is very sharp!!! I also have the Fujinon 23mm F2 prime as well. 

on some pictures, I also see a magenta noise bar across the image. I believe that I may have a lemon. Thoughts….

On 2/22/2023 at 8:28 PM, McBret said:

Advice needed.

I bought the FujiFilm X-T5 and now know why the X series has such a great following. I have shot images on Olympus and Lumix micro four thirds for 10 years and love the system. However, I wanted to move to the APS-C world for a bit better noise and DR.

Unfortunately, ALL of my pictures are not as tack sharp as my m43 images or X-T5 images I see from others. I am shooting with IS continuous, AF-S mode, center weighted exposure, F5.6 with a Fujinon 18mm F1.4 lens which I was told is very sharp!!! I also have the Fujinon 23mm F2 prime as well. 

on some pictures, I also see a magenta noise bar across the image. I believe that I may have a lemon. Thoughts….

I am sorry that you have a bad experience, nothing comes to mind that I could advise you except ask for a replacement. I have no problems whatsoever with my 5. Every now and then a problem happens with a product from any  manufacturer. A few years ago I got a bad (soft) 90f2. I took it back to the shop and got another one that is perfect. 

• 4 weeks later...

Are you using back-button focus?

If you have set up your X-T5 to Back-Button Focus, the X-T5 will never prioritize focus over release. It does not matter if your focus mode lever is set to AF-S or AF-C, and it does not matter if Menu > AF/MF > AF+MF is "On" or "Off".

If Menu > Set Up > Button/Dial Setting > Shutter AF > AF-S (and or AF-C) = Off, THEN Back-Button Focus is active AND the X-T5 will not prioritize focus over release; shutter button will always release.

If Back-Button Focus is used, AF+MF can be set to "On", but AF + MF  does not, in itself, allow out-of-focus shots; instead, it is the Back-Button Focus set up that is allowing out-of-focus shots. Anyway, I leave AF+MF set to "On" because it can be useful for fine tuning focus in tricky situations. I'm a Back-Button-Focus shooter.

If you are not using Back-Button Focus, but are focusing by half-pressing the Shutter Release Button, then, as others have pointed out, your X-T5 will never prioritize focus over release if AF + MF is set to "On". It does not matter how Menu > AF/MF > Release/Focus Priority is set, the shutter will release whether or not it is in focus if Menu > AF/MF > AF+MF = "On".