Anyone using the x-pro 2 and 27mm?

Hi all,

I am looking at sellingmy X100T and grabbing the X-pro2 and 27mm (primarily for its compact size) - does anyone have any experience with this combo? 

If so, how is the AF speed? if you also have the new 35mm WR how do the two compare?

Any advice much appreciated  

Edited by lhotse

The X-Pro2 is my first Fuji camera, and I was determined to start with the 27mm, because I was hooked on the Panasonic 20mm and its unique field of view when I was still using a Pen M4/3 camera. However, after watching hundreds of images from the 27mm, I recognised the one thing that I dislike about the Pana 20mm ... a bokeh with an unpleasing kind of blur. It looks shaky, artificial and plain ugly at times. I found that phenomenon in the XF27mm too many times to my liking and decided to go for the 35mm WR. The latter is a wonderful piece of glass and does render out-of-focus image areas more beautifully, but I do miss the 40mm (35mm equiv.) field of view. I was hoping that Fuji would take the 27mm more seriously, but that won't be happening any time soon I'm afraid. In my opinion it offers the most perfect angle of view (between the wide 23mm and the narrow 35mm), and I still may buy it after all, despite the nature of its bokeh. I wonder if the shaky bokeh (d)effect is typical for lens designs used for pancakes, or is it a coincidence that both the Pana 20mm and the XF-27mm share this signature?

The AF with the X-Pro2 seemed to be very accurate and fast. At least there wasn't a noticeable difference with the 35mm WR. I haven't tested all possible situations of course.

Hi Lhotse,

I'm using the X-Pro 2 and the 27mm.

In my opinion the 27mm is a brilliant lens and its certainly compact/lightweight. That said I'd keep your X100T for now and wait for the X100T successor. Because if compact is what you want then the X100T successor will be smaller/lighter and just as good as the Xpro2 with the 27 mm on the front.

Brgds

Nick

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Have you tried a firmware update? It should not be needed but since it will reset most everything when you run it it is worth a try (and harmless)

I believe there is a lens update as well that ties in with the XP2 update that improved focus.

It's a great little lens, the field is not 100% flat but that has not been a problem however it is sensitive to cross light and it doesn't have a hood which is a faux-pas at the price.I made a cheap felt tube that fits the barrel - it works when I remember it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an x-pro2 with 27mm (and 18-55mm and 56mm 1.2). The autofocus is not very fast and maybe a bit too noisy (this seems to me the real problem) but the lens is wonderful for its great performance and its small size. It's the ideal lens for street photography .... I find it a very high quality lens that's just a bit weak in the backlight, but it's a "must have" with the x-pro2. The bokeh? I bought the 56mm 1.2 for the excellent bokeh, from 27mm I expect "good performance and low profile" ... Exactly what it offers.