X-E2s or X100t - for my 1st Fuji X camera

mjcmt

First time poster to this forum.

A little history:

I've come from a semi-pro photo background in the 80s/90s with my final kit being F3, FM2n, 20 2.8, 35 1.4, 85 1.4, 180 2.8

After a long hiatus...now for the last 8 years I've been using a Canon G10 (28-140 equivalent) P&S camera for travel and street. Years ago I've grown weary of its limitations and inadequate photos so I seldom use it.

My Fujicamera options:

I'm wanting to step up to a more serious outfit and compact rangefinder, and have admired the X100 since it's released. I will use my new Fuji camera it for travel, nature, street, and frequently shoot hand held in low light.

The 2 cameras that fit my budget are the X-E2s w/ 18-55  and  X100t. (My dream camera would be the X-Pro2, but it is out of reach.)

I like the versatility of the E2s w/ zoom, and the faster lens and compactness of the X100t.

Does one excel over the other in picture quality and low light shooting? Or is there any benefit to a X-E2s w/ 35 2.0 lens?

Is there anything else that stands out over the other that would give the edge for general photography?

Mike

Oops, I think I posted this in the wrong section. Can a moderator please post it correctly?

Edited by mjcmt

The digital picture quality of the two cameras is close to identical.

But they are radically different cameras.

The X100 series has non interchangeable lenses and an OVF (Optical viewfinder). Although you can buy some screw-on lenses to widen the field and lengthen the focal length of the moderate wide-angle which equips the camera, this is limited to two lenses only.

This camera was made to look and feel like a retro camera equipped with the focal length (23mm) equivalent to a 35mm which was considered to be a reportage lens “ par excellence”.

It would be possible to associate a X70 to a X100 and get a more wide-angle field but then you will be working with two very different cameras. The OVF looks certainly cool but are you a photographer who will use it? Some people who have used reflexes their all lives cannot get used to a viewfinder which doesn’t show the image as it will be captured from the film or the digital sensor.

If you are such a photographer you know. If you’ve never used it I suggest you rent a camera like that and take it to a spin because it is by no means something that you will get used to if you are not that kind of person.

I know someone who has now two cool cameras both equipped with the OVF but he uses only the EVF on a X100S and a XPro2. A lot of people cannot really work with the OVF. If you are buying it only for the looks it’s an expensive piece of useless glass. Another reason to make a distinction between the two cameras is the shutter.

The shutter of the X100 series is a different animal and works in a different way with a flash. In the beginning of the X era it would have had the advantage of being quieter but now that you have electronic shutter on all the X camera with interchangeable lenses this difference is not as big as it might have been few years ago.

The X-E2 ( S or otherwise, frankly speaking consider a secondhand XE2 since they almost identical) has the advantage of placing you in the position to use a huge panoply of lenses and accessories which you simply cannot use on the other camera.

Besides Fuji has not updated the software of the cameras with fixed lenses as much or at all lately.

Good luck with your choice.

I understand the camera differences and that isn't the issue. I'm looking for the best performance, and you say both are identical I'll have to decide which is more important to me, the extra stop in low light and compactness of the 100t or the versatility of an interchangeable zoom of the e2s. Both of these are attractive features of me. Might be best to go for the e2s, in which I can add a prime lens later.

Edited by mjcmt

The cameras have sensors with identical performance, but , the XE2 has the benefit of firmware updates which historically Fuji hasn’t done as much or at all to the X100 series.

I am not sure what you mean by the extra stop of the X100...

The 23mm on the X-E2 can be even the 1.4 which would be more light efficient than any X100 has been or would ever be.

Soon , for the X series, there will be a new 23mm probably f2 and much smaller too.

I am not sure what you mean by the extra stop of the X100...

The 23mm on the X-E2 can be even the 1.4 which would be more light efficient than any X100 has been or would ever be.

Soon , for the X series, there will be a new 23mm probably f2 and much smaller too.

I meant the 23mm lens of the x100t is one stop faster than the 18-55 zoom, but it is actually 1.5 stops faster than the zoom at the same focal length. I like this for low light shooting.

Good point on firmware updates. I'm guessing the XE2 may be at the end of it's run with the 'S'.

Anyway, since the E2s is more versatile I'll probably go that route and look for a faster prime lens later on, plus gain compactness too.

Thanks milandro.

The 18-55 is one of the best lenses that I have ever used and gives a run for its money to may other more expensive lenses. Unless you are affected by some need to show off a collection of expensive lenses I would most certainly recommend to give it a chance before dismissing it on account of a the aperture.

All  prime lenses with large openings are very big and heavy.

Shooting all open with these lenses doesn’t fulfill so much a need for a shot in poor light ( since the very good results one gets at even 3200 ISO and above) but a need for separation from the subject on the foreground and the background.

An effect which seems to dominate today’s image culture.

Good luck!

I spent a year using only the x100s and while it did make me appreciate shooting with one focal length, overall I took fewer photos that year. I sold it and bought an xt1 and a couple lenses and since have been much more inspired to get out and take photos. Some people end up taking more photos because the x100 line is compact and they take it out more, but I'm the opposite where having a variety of options inspires me to try a variety of techniques. And anyway, the xt1 is the same size as the x100t. I am looking forward to the 23mm f2 (:

But since the 23mm f2 is around the corner and it will probably cost in the same region as the 35 f2 I would certainly recommend to buy the 18-55 first ( often thrown in in deals at a ridiculous price) and the consider buying any specialized prime at a second moment (or not).

I wouldn't worry about general IQ: it's typically a wrong debate. So I would focus onto some others points much more importants IMO:

-versatility.

-OVF/EVF

-lens park prospects: X100 "system" 28/35/50 only or wider choice for XE2.

As the answer is already in the question, the best choice only depends on your own needs.

Edited by Fredkelder

I love the X100 series of cameras, but unless they are a really perfect fit for your style of shooting (such as being primarily a street shooter), I think they are best as a second camera add-on to another Fuji camera with interchangeable lenses. Fuji simply has so many outstanding lenses on the market right now that going with a fixed lens camera puts some very strict limits on your exploration of what they have to offer and how you can craft a 2-3 lens kit to suit your specific needs.

I just ordered a black X100t for a number of reasons. Compactness - I'm likely to carry it with me more frequently. 35mm 2.0 lens - looking over past photos I shoot wide more than telephoto and a fast lens because I frequently shoot in low light. Black color - looks more like an average P&S camera and less likely to draw attention to myself. My 2¢

it’s your camera and your money. Good luck and have fun anyway.

You could have spent a lot less buying a black XE-2 ( they sell more blacks but it comes in metal color too, which in my experience is always thought to be an old analog camera) with a 27mm ( waiting for the 23 f 2 the same focal length that you got on your camera, at leas t I am assuming that you have a 23mm which would work out as an equivalent 35mm).

Personally, I don’t understand the idea that you have to be technologically “ invisible” by pretending that your camera is a point and shoot one instead of a more professional one.

I think that a thieve would simply not possess the knowledge to tell things apart and when in doubt, they steal it anyway.

We have had also another thread where a member wanted to have a camera bag as stealthy as possible, but the very act of bringing a camera to the eye brings immediately the alarm bells to both thieves and people who don’t like being photographed.

I am not a street photographer but if and when I shoot streets I have to deal with people not wanting to go on pictures.

I live in the Netherlands where people are extremely camera conscious and are often downright hostile to photographers even if you are not exactly targeting anyone in particular.

I normally assume a look as touristy as possible because that, if anything, is at least telling them that I am not following them and targeting them as a particular person.

Years ago I remember I was shooting pics an an assignment on foreiners living in the Netherlands, and I took some crowd pictures while I was at the most touristic spot of Amsterdam ( Dam Square) and I was shooting some general shots with a rather unassuming Nikon 35mm so I was shooting a tram from the street and two (!) people inside the whole tram lifted a huge shopping bag in front of their face.

Few years down the line the first day after buying my first Fuji X camera a metal color bodied X-E1 with a rather unassuming 35mm f1.4 I go to the beach to shoot some test pictures.

As I point the camera towards a cafe on a beach, far away ( so there was no way they could tell which camera I had or even whether I was pointing the camera at them) the first male on the left of the picture which I am enclosing started waving ( go away!) with his arm in front of his face.

This is a shot which I took just a second before he put his coffee down and started the defense mechanism.

By the way, with your 23mm you would have been even closer and noticeable.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by milandro

If I had your bad experiences as you describe I'd look for a different hobby. LOL

I shot street photography in Chicago in the 80's for years, and while some people didn't want their photos taken, most were obliging. I was even using a Nikon F3 w/ motor drive and a few prime lenses, but mostly a 35mm 1.4 and sometimes an 85 1.4.

I bought black x100t not because of theft reason you mentioned, but shinny silver draws more attention. And I love the 35mm lens. I like the small size that I'd take with me everywhere.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Whenever I was in the US, photographing people in the street never cause any adverse reaction, people just react differently to a camera.

And, by the way things have changed in the last 30 or so years.

Ed van Elsken was in the late ’60, ’70 and ’80 one of the great “ street photographers” of the time

Although street photography has always fascinated me at some level, I never seriously ventured into this discipline because it makes me feel uncomfortable to photograph strangers without their consent.

That being said, I do shoot in public venues, including the area where milando's photo was taken (my wife was born in the town nearby) and generally don't see any adverse reactions. And even though I decidedly don't have thick skin when it comes to being confronted by someone on the street, I'm pretty certain that my non-verbal communication would have told that "first male on the left" where to stick his objections. I mean come on, he's sitting in front of a beach cafe in a known tourist area.

I do believe though that your own appearance can make a big difference in how likely you are to be told off. I also feel that street photography is likely to be easier for women because they are less likely to be perceived as threatening or having unsavory motives.

Perhaps the forum's female street photographers care to chime in with their personal experiences?

I think gender has something to do with it ... but unfortunately Europe is slowly turning into a grim continent, it seems.

It's a lot safer and better living here than in many parts of the world, but it looks like many people prefer to focus on the negatives.

A fellow photographer told me that he doesn't dare to take a camera to the beach anymore, in fear of being accused of photographing young kids.

I hope we'll find a way to turn our society around again.

Of course there is a Dutch street photography but you need to be aware of the unwritten rules.

An acquaintance of mine was taking pictures of his kids at school as they came out from class and were playing in the playground. The other parents took objection to this ( kids were fully clothed and were engaging in normal activities) and called the Police on him. He was briefly interrogated and they told him that the school wouldn’t allow him to take pictures of his (and other) kids on the school private grounds.

The experience scarred him, he felt insulted but also violated. Unfortunately he took this feeling to the grave with him because he died for unrelated natural causes a few years after that.

Several years ago I was in London and was visiting the Tate Modern Museum. There they had an art installation where people could glide down from a considerable height. I wanted to take pictures of some kids shooting out at the end of the installation.

After I took a couple of motion blurred shots a  teacher/minder came to me and asked me to stop because the parents of the children would have objected and she would have to call the police if I were to go on.

Yes, a sad state of affair. 

But it isn’t that I want to take pictures necessarily without asking.

A couple of years ago I was strolling alongside the river IJ in Amsterdam around the new area where the film museum is. I didn’t want to intrude and I asked a couple of times if I may take a pictures. My initially courteous request was invariably met with a “ no” so I went on took pictures and asked no more questions.