X-T1 tracking question

IanCFuji

Hi

I have just sold my pro-level Canon gear and moved to 2 X-T1's.

I was shooting at a horse cross-country event with the horses coming directly towards me over a jump.  I have done this type of work regularly with canon gear and always got excellent results.

Unfortunately, my success rate with in-focus images was abysmal.

I guess that I am not using the correct setup as I am sure that the X-T1 can do this successfully.

I was using a 50-140 and a 100-400 lens on AFC and CH.  Shutter speed varying between 1/1250 and 1/1600.

I tried Single Point and Zone  focusing.

Can anyone tell me where I have gone wrong?

I am due at another event this coming weekend (motorbike racing) and would like to be more successful!

Thanks

Ian

I get pretty decent results only in AFC and single point. But only if I manage to keep the subject right on the focus point. I don't think the X-T1 does any meaningful tracking. At racing I have had decent results by picking up the car when it was approaching and keeping the focus point right on it while it passed by. Not easy to do with the 100-400. Zone sort of tracks the object but I have never been impressed by the results.

Would love to hear what other people have to say.

Thanks for the reply.  Sounds as though your experience is not unlike mine.

It seems like I may be expecting too much.

If so, it will be interesting to see what the imminent(?) X-T2 is like.  The rumours suggest significant improvements to auto-focusing.

Like you, I will be interested to hear any other comments/suggestions.

Ian

How would one track with CH and w/o a live view? Tracking what you can't see? That's almost impossible. I always use settings that give me a live view, so I can actually track the subject in the viewfinder. So CL it is.

With some practice I can do it with cars. It's pretty much guesswork but it's doable. Birds are impossible in CH.

I guess I am just accustomed to being able to track subjects on high frame-rate with Canon viewfinder and predictive focus.  It seems that the XT-1 just isn't a system for sports and other high-speed subjects, including birds that move!

I am beginning to wonder why they produced the 100-400 lens.

Not sure where I go from here.

Ian

Obviously for 8 fps applications that don't require a live view. Or for use by trained/practiced photographers like erwiurewurwehu. Not all 8 fps applications require tracking, anyway. Also, shooting stuff that simply comes directly towards the camera can be shot and tracked at 8 fps. No big deal.

Luckily, 3 fps is sufficient for most tracking applications. Not to mention that 8 fps only tracks with the few central PDAF frames, so anything that goes off-center (leaving the PDAF area) can't be tracked, anyway. 3 fps tracks the entire sensor area.

Of course, all of this is discussed in much detail in my book on the X-T1.

I am beginning to wonder why they produced the 100-400 lens.

I assume it's for users who need/want 100-400mm for their photography. I have already seen great results from dog racing, horse racing, animals, birds, etc.

A professional German horse photographer moved from Canon 1Dx to X-T1 more about 2 years ago. She's now also  using the X-Pro2 (waiting for the X-T2) and just blogged about how she doesn't need the Canon for action shots, anymore.

Of course, the X-T2 will make things better due to rumored higher live view frame rates. 5 fps should be realistic.

Edited by flysurfer

With some practice I can do it with cars. It's pretty much guesswork but it's doable. Birds are impossible in CH.

Indeed, practice is the key, as it adapting the camera settings to the subject at hand. A child running towards the camera? No problem with 8 fps. A child zigzagging left and right? Better get the live view going and dial it down to 3 fps.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply.  Sounds as though your experience is not unlike mine.

It seems like I may be expecting too much.

If so, it will be interesting to see what the imminent(?) X-T2 is like.  The rumours suggest significant improvements to auto-focusing.

Like you, I will be interested to hear any other comments/suggestions.

Ian

Don't hold your breath.