You want to buy the latest & greatest Fujinon glass. How do you convince your partner (who's not into photography) that it's well spend money?

Patrick FR

I guessing you didn't find what I said funny. Hard to tell when you are trying to be funny or not.

В каждой шутке есть доля правды.  So to error on the seriousness side, I want to say that I am sorry if I offended you somehow.

Oh, man, guys!  Sexist much?!??!     :)

Anyway........ I don't spend money on clothes, shoes, handbags any of that crap that you people think women spend money on.  Photography is, unfortunately, my hobby and as we all know is expensive.  How do I convince my HUSBAND, who has zero interest in photography (believe me I've tried), that I need the new 90mm lens because the compression on the 56 just isn't to my liking?  This is a man who has an Alienware desktop (for playing games) a PS4 (for playing games) and a 17" Mac laptop just because.  While I built my desktop because I saved about $2K that way.  But photography is a waste of money.  Please, anyone who can come up with a successful argument for that will win a prize (TBD).

Fstop stfu. This thread is already way too sexist, I had the same thought as Imirante even if I'm a man who don't especially appreciate feminism.

I really did think gosh, are gearheads really only a bunch of angry macho nerds? It's disturbing.

Anyway to stay OT I'd answer something simple like it's the same as between an intel i7 and an i5. You don't really NEED it, but it's nice to have it and it will last longer before you feel the need to replace it.

Even if it has absolutely nothing to do, that will ring a bell.

Fstop stfu. This thread is already way too sexist, I had the same thought as Imirante even if I'm a man who don't especially appreciate feminism.

I really did think gosh, are gearheads really only a bunch of angry macho nerds? It's disturbing.

yes, it is disturbing. Unfortunately, I have learned to accept this about most men.  You are not helping with your rudeness.

Thanks for the entertainment.  Not for nothing, but fstop's suggestion is the most likely to work with my particular husband.  He'd also appreciate the i7 vs. i5 argument.  When building my computer I got an NVIDIA GTX 670.  2 weeks later his video card died and he needed an NVIDIA GTX 680.  Maybe I should do some tasteful almost nudes with an 18mm and the manual 100mm I have and show him the difference.  And tell him if I can have the 90mm, the "almost" goes away.......     ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just make sure you emphasize that it was on sale and you got such a good deal that you couldn't pass it up! 

I have all the lenses I need for now, but it's taking some serious willpower to not buy the 16mm. In preparation for my eventual breakdown and purchase of that lens, I bought my wife an X-E1 and put a 27mm on it. Fits in her purse and it's a serious upgrade on the crappy camera on her cellphone that she's insisted on using until now.

So... that means if anything ever goes wrong with my X-T1, I can use her X-E1 as a backup. Or I can borrow it for street photography. And most importantly, when I do lose control of my willpower and buy the 16mm, I can say "look at the new lens I bought for us!"