Need help buying a cheap wide angle converter lens

Sorry if I am writing in the wrong subforum.

I want to a buy a cheap wide angle + macro combo converter lens system that are available in amazon or ebay. Most of these cheap lens have 2 problems : 1. Degrade image quality, 2. Causes vignetting.

I have an idea. Suppose my lens filter thread is 58mm and it is a 18-55mm lens. So if I use a 67/72 wide angle+macro lens with a 58-67/72 step up ring, can it solve the vignette problem? Anyone have any experience like that? And can anyone suggest a good brand or provide a link?

It will be very helpful. Thanks.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Unless you have a camera with a fixed lens  X-100T or X-70 I don’t think that buying a wideangle converter makes much sense on a camera fitted with the 18-55.

On top of this, using an oversized lens to stay clear of vignetting, will put a lot of strain on both the filter mount and a the autofocus of the lens.

You will probably wreck both, if not immediately at some time.

I am sure that you will be better off, and by quite a bit, simply by buying a Samyang 12mm ( or other focal length but I own that and it is compact and of exceptional quality) or something like that. A secondhand one won’t cost you more than $250 and you will be very happy with the results, I can guarantee that.

As for macro.

You could go really cheap an put a lightweight close up filter on the 18-55 but you probably will be better off with a Raynox lens.

If you search around this forum or elsewhere there are plenty of people shooting great macro pictures with the Raynox.

However , if you should ever get into macro, buying a macro lens which you can use with an adapter can be very rewarding.

You won’t pay a fortune ( and that includes the adapter) and you will have a second lens which can be also used (if the focal length is appropriate) for portraits.

Another equally valid solution would be using automatic rings on your 18-55, not as fast as a Raynox though!

In the case of any lens that is used on an interchangeable lens system (not x100/x70 family, that is), the best "help buying a cheap wide angle converter" is - don't buy it.

Zoom with your feet or make a panorama. The quality with a cheap converter just will not be nowhere near good enough. I would not spend a single euro on that. So, unless the converter is given to you for free... Don't bother.

There are some high quality adapters, such as Canons macro lenses which are made from quality optical glass, but they cost a bit.

the “ zooming “ with your feet obviously only refers to taking more “ field” in the lens, but there are other reasons to use a wideangle that simply put more space on your film.

Besides, once you’ve crosses the road and are with your back agains the furthest away building or laying on the pavement, in most cities you are still too close to take-in buildings in a satisfactory way.

But to me, the use of a widangle converter on a zoom like the 18-55 can only lead to serious problems, including destroying the lens.

Much better to buy a specialized lens. ( 10, 12, 14mm)

Edited by milandro

I tried both wide- and tele- converters on 18-55 and results were so poor so I very quickly stopped even to think about that option. I tried x0.3, x0.79 and x1.54 converters from Raynox. They are expensive and quality products by itself, but just don't suitable for Fuji 18-55 lens despite of thread size. I believe things would be even worse with cheap nonames.

Being unlucky with that Raynoxes, I didn't want to try it's macro lense.

But I have Marumi DHG Achromat 330 (+3 diopters) with 58mm size, don't remember the price, sure something below 100$. It works suprisingly good with Fuji 18-55 at long end. Good sharpness, distortions from low to neglible, minimal distance is about 15-20cm (never measured yet), AF works as should, no vignetting. Overall, the results from this Fuji+Marumi combo are really comparable with what you can get from XF60macro, with a bit less magnification (note there is +5 diopters version). That makes a nice lightweight travel option for occasional macros when absolute quality is not the purpose.