X-T1 Freezing

Hi all,

I've searched but haven't found any threads about this, but if I'm wrong then I'd be grateful if someone directed me to the right thread. I was shooting a wedding yesterday with my X-T1 and X Pro2. My X-T1 had the 56mm lens, and about 100 shots into bridal prep the camera just froze. The image in the EVF/LCD was refreshing as I moved the camera around but no controls were working at all. It definitely wasn't locked, and I was shooting in AF-S, single point. On FW 4.30. This morning I've taken a few shots to replicate the issue but it hasn't as of yet occurred. Any ideas? It's still in warranty so I'm thinking it probably needs to go in for repair.

Thanks!

Could be a random glitch too, I got a small freeze this Sunday while covering an event, had to pull out the battery and slap it back in and everything was working again.

Could have been my mistake as I am not sure I remember shutting the camera off when I was lens swapping.

Thanks for the reply. It was weird because I took the battery out and tried again but the same thing happened, tried again with a different battery and the same thing happened again. Still not having the problem again now though :wacko:  Need to take it on a photowalk as I've not had enough opportunities to take pictures since Saturday. 

Could be a random glitch too, ....

It still should not have happened at all in my opinion. It is always difficult for a developer to test a device in every possible combination ... but still.

Maybe I am a little old school here: it is odd which kind of devices need a reboot after a freeze. I intentionally don't want to give examples here.

So for an update, I've got myself an additional X Pro 2 (this was going to happen sooner or later anyway) and will be getting an additional lens for my XT1 to see how it gets on this weekend, working on the principle that the two X Pro 2s will do the heavy lifting at the weekend but I'll have a chance to see how the XT1 is doing also. Still mildly disconcerting....

Yet another update....shot a wedding today with the two x pro 2s and xt1. The XT1 did well...for 50 shots, then it fell over. Basically it was from that point freezing on and off requiring the battery to be taken out. Great day, and the other cameras were beasts, but the XT1 is not looking good for a miraculous recovery. Back for repair this week by the looks of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I too was confused by what PWB meant when they told me. That sucks Minniature, sorry to hear about your problem. Mine was under warranty so I have no idea how much it would've cost to replace this. On the plus side, the turn around time was just shy of two weeks so that seemed pretty reasonable to me. 

Happend with my two months old X-T1 for the first time. Fw 4.30 with the 16/1.4 lens attached.

I took a picture, the shutter opened half way (partial "clank" sound), the evf/lcd gone black, the indicator was stuck on orange and I had to take the battery out and back again. Once the camera powered up again, the shutter finished its cycle and I could keep shooting. So far I failed to replicate it. Something tells me it will happen again soon. I'm using a UHS-II card by sandisk (280mb/s), the next time this happens I'll go back to a regular 90mb/s card and see if this eliminates that.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Edited by AlphaCygni

Hi AlphaCygni, That problem sounds like a pain, although it is slightly different from my issue as the LCD remained on and showed the change in image as I moved the camera around but wouldn't do anything else. Like you, I had to take the battery out. Fingers crossed yours was a one-off issue!

Yep, my problem is exactly the same as yours chudlyfudly. I reinstaled the firmware and took my X-T1 with the same lens out shooting this weekend and there was no freezing. So I don't know if it was the firmware problem or what I just hope it stays this way.

I have the exact same problem for almost a year now that it is taking the fun of having an XT-1. Take a hundred shots and soon enough camera freezes just as described and the only way to get it back again is take the battery out. Even just by turning it on and leaving it on for 30secs freezes the camera. It had went thru various updates and is currently in version 4.21 and still has the same problem. With firmware 4.30 out am planning to update it but i have no hopes in solving the problem. I have the same hunch that it is the PWB too.

I'm guessing yours is out of warranty dakila? Without wishing to be a drag, mine was on firmware 4.30 when it was released and the problem still occurred (you never know though, it may help). The weird thing about this problem is when it first happened I couldn't find much on the internet in the way of people with similar issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I've just sent my X-T1 in for warranty support on a very similar, if not identical issue. I've been searching for similar threads and only just found this one. The trigger seemed to be shooting in 'warmer' than average temperatures, ranging from 23 degrees Celsius to 31 degrees Celsius (the warmest temp I've shot in). For US users, that's roughly 75 degrees to around 90 degrees. It happened with different lenses, different memory cards (all SanDisk) and different batteries.

My symptoms included:

• not starting back up after sleep or powering off
  • freezing up during shooting, sometimes mid-shutter actuation. This happens under both mechanical and electronic shutter shooting. Usually have to dump the batter and re-power on.
  • Freezing up during menu navigation
  • Freezing up during changing auto-focus point position or size
  • Sometimes it just freezes when I’m not doing anything. EVF and controls are just locked up.
  • Freezing up during menu playback
  • Camera will not power off…will just freeze with black screen.
  • Camera will not power on
  • Camera seems to get warm on the lower left hand side of the body. 

If you live in a temperate climate and are having this problem it may only occur intermittently b/c of the temperature variation, which is why it took me so long to figure out that heat was playing a role (I live in Vancouver BC). I could shoot non-stop in a cool, dry, air-conditioned environment and not re-produce the issue. Then I would step into a warmer room and wouldn't be able to get past 150 frames...or in the case of the warm yoga studio I was shooting in the other day, the thing started locking up after 5 frames. 

The camera is just over a year old at this point. The problem only started after Fuji upgraded my firmware after a previous warranty support issue (hot pixels on sensor) and just since the beginning of our summer, but I can't say that the firmware is playing a role unless how it manages resources on the X-T1 is causing some hardware to just fail in higher temperatures. The fact that users are having this issue on earlier firmware versions seems to suggest that firmware is not the issue. 

Edited by ubercurious

• 2 years later...

I have this issue now for a couple of years and i am sick off it now. My camera include grip went 4 times to Fuji now, they have replaced the main circuit board for 2 times now but this issues hasn't been solved at all. The grip has been replaced without success.

All firmware is updated many many times to the latest level but without success to solve this issue.

Tomorrow i will call the company where i bought this XT1 but i think the only thing to get out of this circle i a lawsuit, not what i want but i believe Fuji wants it this way otherwise they had take the customer serious and solve this issue. It looks to me that this is an development issue. 

I saw that people with a H1 and a XT2 have still the same problems.

So much frustrating, sorry Fuji but your are lossing goodwill, best regards,

Peter Wensink

Edited by pppettterrr