X-Pro 3 permanently under exposing by 1.5 to 2 stops

If your raw files are appearing underexposed it is possible you have a dynamic range setting of 200 or 400. This will under expose the image by 1 or 2 stops to protect highlights. The in camera jpeg engine boosts the shadows and mid tones to proper exposure levels, giving you a “proper” exposure for your jpeg. This can trick up a raw processor like Capture One (I don’t recall it automatically boosting the shadows / mid tones for files with the DR settings).

Edited by dward
Clarification

12 hours ago, dward said:

If your raw files are appearing underexposed it is possible you have a dynamic range setting of 200 or 400. This will under expose the image by 1 or 2 stops to protect highlights. The in camera jpeg engine boosts the shadows and mid tones to proper exposure levels, giving you a “proper” exposure for your jpeg. This can trick up a raw processor like Capture One (I don’t recall it automatically boosting the shadows / mid tones for files with the DR settings).

Ahh and any thanks for your informative reply. I will certainly have a look see and report back. Kind regards

14 hours ago, dward said:

Hi, yes I am shooting in RAW but have not selected HDR in the drive setting. When I do throughout the HDR range I am still under exposing by up to 2 stops

This gets confusing because of the similarity of the features and their names.

I was not referring to the HDR on the drive setting. I was referring to the Dynamic Range setting, which has 4 values to choose between, DR100, DR200, DR400 and Auto. This can be found in your menu, IQ page. If you google “Fujifilm dynamic range setting” you can find a bunch of information on it.

My practice is to leave it at DR100 (which is basically off) if I intend to post process in Capture One. Once you understand how it works, it is useful if you intend to shoot JPEG right out of the camera.

Hope that helps,

Dave

On 11/17/2022 at 1:11 PM, dward said:

This gets confusing because of the similarity of the features and their names.

I was not referring to the HDR on the drive setting. I was referring to the Dynamic Range setting, which has 4 values to choose between, DR100, DR200, DR400 and Auto. This can be found in your menu, IQ page. If you google “Fujifilm dynamic range setting” you can find a bunch of information on it.

My practice is to leave it at DR100 (which is basically off) if I intend to post process in Capture One. Once you understand how it works, it is useful if you intend to shoot JPEG right out of the camera.

Hope that helps,

Dave

Hi and many thanks, yes I am confused (or is it misunderstanding). From what I read in your reply I was looking in the wrong place and  don't really know my camera as well as I thought. I will most certainly investigate further (and report back)

Kind regards

2 hours ago, Robert Mole said:

Hi and many thanks, yes I am confused (or is it misunderstanding). From what I read in your reply I was looking in the wrong place and  don't really know my camera as well as I thought. I will most certainly investigate further (and report back)

Kind regards

YEAHHHH. Your wise and patient input has sorted my problem.

A big thanks