23mm R f1.4 in manual Focus

Invercowie

My 23mm, which ive had new from launch has now become very 'jittery' in manual focus mode. The focus ring workds for a bit , then either freezes solid or turns in only a very small range. I've tried all the obvious things and searched the manual and online and can find no other reference to this. Anyone got any ideas? My lens is on XE-2 with latest firmware and is very well cared for, no bumps or splashes.

The focus ring workds for a bit , then either freezes solid or turns in only a very small range.

Freezes as in won't turn anymore or turns but the focus does not change? In both casses I think it is something Fujifilm should look at.

Cleaning contacts is next move .... I have inspected them and they look spotless. Just hesitating in case of causing more issues due to physical intervention. I am first fishing to see if anyone else has had similar problems but nothing so far. I have also RESET the camera to factory default but to no avail.

Fair point but I am deferring sending it back as my previous experience with Fuji repair in the uk was a nightmare. I suspect, in any case, that the issue is at least related to electronics as it is intermittent. Sounds like I am Th e only one to have experienced this problem? At least lens continues to function in AF modes.

Yip, cleaned contacts, both on lens and camera, just in case but no difference. Spent a good hour playing around with it and trying to understand the issue. The mystery deepens. The problem is intermittent and .... This is now clear ..... Appears to be linked with the lens acquiring focus and the mf aid activating. The problem immediately clears when I point the lens at a plain, lit wall there there is no contrast. I can now repeat this trick reliably. I'm sure this must have happened, or will happen to others. Really annoying though I 95% use single point auto using back button. Any other ideas out there?

The focus ring moves for a bit then freezes stuck. When moving focus is acquired. When it freezes the focus locks where it was. Very annoying!

You said the ring itself mechanically gets stuck, if I understood this post correctly.

The ring is just connected to a sensor which reads out the information where you turned that ring. This information is then converted to a signal for the AF-motor. There is no mechanical connection between those two. This means, if your focus ring gets stuck, mechanically, it's a pure mechanical problem and should be repaired by Fujifilm.

Sorry, maybe I haven't explained this. I know there is no mechanical connection, so there is not a mechanical problem. The manual focus ring locks up, rigid. This appears to be linked to the camera achieving a degree of focus. When I then aim the camera at a blank surface, like a plain wall, it then frees up till it then locks up again when pointed at a contrasts scene .... Any ideas?