X-Pro2 - Flash Modes Not Selectable?

This could be a general flash question, but since I have an X-Pro2, I'm throwing it here.

Was out shooting on the streets and trying to do a long exposure at some busy intersections at night.

I tried several shutter speeds for various effects.. Then I remember I had my little EF-X20 flash.. I didn't need much light, but I wanted to at least try to freeze the action a bit in some shots.  And, I know I wanted to use rear curtain flash so the flash fires just before the end when the shutter fully closes. This way the subjects would have blurry streaks in back of them instead of in front (which happens with normal flash as it fires at the beginning of action, not the effect which makes things look like they are more moving backwards).

But, I just could not set the flash mode to fire rear curtain flash (or slow, or any other mode).. only flash off or flash on.. all the other options were either greyed out or possibly not even available, can't remember exactly, but in either case all the other flash modes were not available for me.

I know i was in mechanical shutter only and no silent mode on.. hell, I don't think the X-Pro2 even has a silent mode (unlike the previous X-Pro1).. you have to manually enable or disable things like sounds, flash and af illuminator to set "silent mode" on the x-pro2.. which personally can be tedious task instead of just holding the display/back button to auto enable all those.. but, i digress.. anyways.. I had mechanical shutter on and no silent mode which are essentially the 2 things which would actually only disable using flash totally.. and I was able to use flash.. just not set the flash mode.

really frustrating.. could not figure it out.. I was in full manual as well.

And, I'm looking at page 155 in the X-Pro2 manual to see the table/chart on restrictions on camera settings and to be honest, there aren't many really for flash.

I'm not a flash expert at all, that's why I was experimenting, but I figure what I was trying to do was pretty straightforward concept. Maybe there's a combination of settings that's preventing me from adjusting and setting my various flash modes?

Anybody have any ideas?

Edited by Wing0949

I know about this and how to set 2nd (rear) curtain sync.

My question and issue is I was not even allowed to set that.  Only options I had when I had the ef-x20 on top the x-pro2 was flash on and flash off.. that's it.  I could not set to any other mode.. and like page 155 in manual describes what conditions would restrict me from using or setting particular flash modes, I did not meet any of those restrictions so I should have been able to set 2nd (rear) curtain sync.

Just make sure your flash is turned on and you are in single shot or 3fps continuous mode.

Works on bkt mode too but does not work on 8 fps continuous drive mode.

Don't think you are on high speed drive so I'm not sure what the issue is. Mine is working as it should.

Edited by Aswald

Just make sure your flash is turned on and you are in single shot or 3fps continuous mode.

Works on bkt mode too but does not work on 8 fps continuous drive mode.

Don't think you are on high speed drive so I'm not sure what the issue is. Mine is working as it should.

I know.. Like I was trying to describe the situation above.. I was simply in single shot doing long exposure in full manual mode.. that's it.. it should just work, I'm simply adding a flash to the shot, but all options but flash on and flash off were either greyed out or not even available.. and I know I've used and had the options available before.

The flash was definitely on as I was able to still take flash photo.. just not rear/2nd curtain.. only normal first curtain, but that's not the effect I was going for.. frozen image when flash taken is at the beginning of exposure and blur is moving forward from that point on.. looks shifted or in reverse.. that's why I wanted to try rear/2nd curtain so it fires at the end and looks correct with frozen image with blur trailing, not leading.

Anyways.. will have to experiment at home later and see what's up.

Edited by Wing0949

Good luck n do keep us posted. Very curious indeed.

Ok, so I played with my flash on the X-Pro2 again I think I figured it out.. I have to say there doesn't seem to be any documentation that would tell you this, but apparently you have to have flash set to TTL Auto and not Manual in order to select slow sync, rear curtain flash and commander flash modes.

So, only TTL Auto on the flash will allow you to select slow sync, rear curtain flash and commander flash modes.. in addition to the normal flash (first curtain) of course.

If your flash is set to manual power, then you cannot select slow sync, rear curtain flash and commander flash  modes.

I have to admit I'm a little surprised by this.. didn't think setting flash to manual power would affect and prevent you from selecting  slow sync, rear curtain flash and commander flash  modes.

Again, I am using the Fuji EF-X20 flash.

I also have a Cactus V6 Flash.. I can use on a Fuji body, but it can only be used in manual mode, as well.  Putting the Cactus on the X-Pro2, I see I have options for Flash, Rear Curtain Flash & Commander Flash modes, Slow Sync Flash does not even show up as an option.  HOWEVER, only flash (first curtain) & Commander Flash modes fire and seem to work.. I can set to rear curtain flash, but the flash will not fire... so, to back up my conclusion using the Cactus V6 flash which can only be used in manual flash mode on Fuji bodies, you cannot select and use rear or slow sync flash modes with manual flashes.

I suspect other flashes (which I do not own) such as the Fuji EF-42, EF-20, the upcoming EF-X500 and 3rd party brands like Nissin i40 & RoboShoot flashes will do the same thing and not allow you to select and use rear curtain flash or slow sync flash (& in some cases even commander flash) modes while flash is in manual mode... only TTL Auto mode will allow you those flash mode options.

Ah...ok. I see. Thanks for sharing. These are good information.

I have the x20 and the Nissin i40. Will muck around tonight.

You are right, by right manual mode should not disengage rear sync. :huh:

Yeah, weird.. I would totally expect manual flash mode to be usable with rear curtain sync.. camera should just send a signal to the flash later towards the end of the exposure, just before the shutter closes, to fire, right?

Anyways, I'd be interested to know if this phenomena was limited to the x-pro2 and my combination of flashes.. or, do you also experience with whatever other gear you have as well.

Thanks. 

It's the same with older X cameras.

Hmm.. ok, then I guess you must use TTL Auto on your flash unit if you want rear curtain sync... no manual flash power setting on the flash unit.

I wonder if other camera brands are the same?.. i'm gonna kind of answer this one.. got an answer on another website.. apparently Canon and Nikon allow manual flash with rear curtain sync.  And, I'm sure there are so many camera & flash combinations, anything can be possible (or not)... although, I believe Canon (& Nikon) have their own unique flash system which allows special flash functions which aren't possible on other cameras.

surprising, yet not surprising.. the one downside of Fuji has been their flash system.. I believe they are working on improving it.. we shall see with the EF-X500, whenever that comes out.

.. oh, well.. at least I know what I need to check on my Fuji system and set my flash to in order to get the option to do rear curtain sync.

Thanks, again.

Edited by Wing0949