Citral's random walkabouts.

citral

Day 1 : There is something to be said about the sheer simplicity and joy of capturing something just because it looks beautiful and without trying too hard to make it exceptional. Kind of when people used to shoot with film.

This is not a showcase of the X-E1 jpeg output, just simple pictures with processing left to the camera and no cropping.

Here are 3 shots of nothing spectacular I enjoy so far because they have really nice colours and/or light :

17537730429_cbc802c7b6_b.jpgSélestat - 2015 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

17797032589_d46fb145bf_b.jpgMolsheim - 2015 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

17990138516_d061644960_b.jpg404 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

I haven't completely understood the relation between "vintage" and sooc (straight out of the cam) JPGs.

Sure ... most of the people in earlier days just sent their films to Kodak or fujifilm and received a bunch of picture ...

... but even then some people were able to do furter processing. 

however ...

I like the one with the Peugeot ... well taken detail with very nice colors.

Thematically the 1st one is very vintage. The position of the curtain (?) is nice ... but the whole picture appears a bit lifeless to me, and this "big fridge" (or whatever it is) in the background is disturbing. It doesn't touch me.

The train station looks very arbitrary for me ... but i'm sure you feel different about.

When i take a picture of a train station i was there, know the story (in which i was involved when i was there) ... this "personal feeling", the special atmosphere of a station is hard to "transport" to the visitor of the pic.

On trainstation, i often take a picture which contains some people too ... but that's not everybodies approach and prbly. you wanted to emphasize the lonesomenesson such a station.

The bugatti is a nice car ... very vintage ... the backround ... hm ... rather not.

Agree with absolutely everything you said. Yes the first one has something missing, looks a bit lifeless, hard to explain what. However it looks like film and the colours are beautiful.

Yes the train station probably means something only to me, and I exacerbated the empty feeling by not including any human.

I don't know how to name this thread. It's not really about vintage, originally it was an open thread to post ooc uncropped jpegs, because I find that interesting (to work more on content, composition, light and colours and get it right with the camera, instead of tweaking around to make a not that great picture appear visually appealing).

Then flysurfer, misunderstanding the concept I suppose, begun to dump 3 pages of ooc "showcase" jpegs which had nothing to do with what I meant, even if a few pictures were interesting / good.

It's now named Rico's OOC jpegs. It's useful but not what I intended.

Thank you for your feedback.

I will print the Peugeot picture, quite sure it will look nice on matte paper.

More OOC Jpegs. Busy week-end, not interrested in post-processing. Everything on 35mm f/1.4.

18133200919_dd10197531_b.jpgDSCF6071 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

18315433432_06f44f392c_b.jpgDSCF6084 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

18131559580_797591e638_b.jpgDSCF6109 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

17696392004_94a8e4563c_b.jpgDSCF6129 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

18131116878_b8be567878_b.jpgDSCF6132 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

18314744252_bfa83d2e83_b.jpgDSCF6175 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

18132194559_a9da349749_b.jpgDSCF6195 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

18130258548_c217ed6067_b.jpgDSCF6003 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

18319466151_e0155e9005_b.jpgDSCF6023 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

18130164398_c1c3d97358_b.jpgDSCF6199 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have never published a single picture so far. So I feel a bit unfair when I criticise your pictures. Neverthelaess I want to share my thoughts.

You present a strange mixture of pictures. Some of them I like very much. The Peugeot, the pig, the horse, the 'shouting' donkey,the peacock they have a good idea, a good composition and/or a good timing.

The lake with the young lady is completely against the book. The fountain grows from the head of the lady. Normally I am not sensible with this rule but in this case even I would prefer if you had moved a little bit to the side. But beside this I really like the picture. It shows a real world idyll. Not perfect, not staged but still a nice place to be.

The picture with the boy on the donkey I would have taken if I knew the boy but I would not have published it. I have taken pictures myself with a much worse composition but I would not show case them. They are nice as a personal souvenir but not more.

From some pictures I do not get the idea why they were taken and even less why you published them.

Pictures like the Bikini I would not have published (now). The art works on the car is interesting. To me the photographer did not add anything. So it is mainly a souvenir for the photographer. Maybe in a couple of years this becomes a historical document. There are other images in this forum where I feel the same.

What I do like is that you shared your experiments with motion (blur). Again I do not really get the idea.. hm, after looking a third or fourth time on DSCF6338 I see that it has a nice effect and it is interesting to look at it.

But most of all I welcome your courage to share and discuss your experiments. I think all less experienced members like myself can learn a lot from your failures and your successes.

• 3 years later...

Hi there, it's been a long time. I still shoot (mostly) sooc jpeg with my X-E1, and 35mm f/1.4 mostly, still have the 18mm f2 but added the 50mm f2 to my collection, and now ordered an X100F to have a "take everywhere" camera. I will upgrade the x-e1 to an x-pro2 at some point once it gets cheaper tho, and replace the 18 f/2 with the 16 f/2.8.

Also I have a lens turbo II with a 30€ helios 44-2 which reminds me everytime I shoot it that sharpness is really a gimmick.

35mm f1.4

DSCF2324 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

DSCF2215 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

DSCF3880 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

DSCF3900 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

DSCF3906 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

DSCF3504 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

DSCF1558 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

Helios 44-2

DSCF4519 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

DSCF4424 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

DSCF4427 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr