Hey Hey Hey...isn't Fuji supposed to be made in Japan??

Dr.Nipun

Hello dear members,

I bought the X-T10 with 18-55mm lens today. While checking it at home, I found something which seemed strange to me. The lens sticker shows "Made In China" and the camera body shows "Made In Thailand". Is it normal? I mean I know Fujifilm is a Japanese brand and it is also possible that they can manufacture products for low cost in other countries, but I want to be sure that this is normal and everyone's camera and lens are made in those countries. Please confirm me, otherwise I may have to return. I have attached the pictures here.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Japanese camera makers are oriental trading companies first and camera manufacturers second. The important thing is the warranty, not the location of final assembly. It states that the company is putting its reputation for quality behind the product. Fuji, for example, uses Sunpak to make their flash units, but the Fuji warranty is on them. Thailand is a major manufacturing centre for Nikon as well. In 2011, floods had a disastrous impact upon Nikon inventory for many months.

Camera makers also make equipment for each other. Cosina makes the bulk of Zeiss "German" lenses. They also make the Nikon FM10 film camera that was at various times also  Canon T60, Carena CX-300, Olympus OM-2000, Nikon FE10, Petri GX-1, Petri GX-2, Revue AC2, Revue SC3, Ricoh KR-5 SUPER II. The Leica CLE was made by Minolta. My "German" Plaubel Makina 67 was made either by Copal or Mamiya and has a Nikon lens. All early Canon lenses were Nikons. 

Now, Hasselblad lenses are Fujinons, and the original design of the current H series of cameras is based upon a Fuji/Hasselblad collaboration. It is not clear how deeply Fujifilm is still involved in Hasselblad manufacture. Fuji also made the Hasselblad X-Pan which it sold in Japan as the Fujifilm X-T1 (not X-T1). Sony Semiconductor make sensors for many brands, including Sony Camera, of course. However, some Nikon sensors are made by Aptina, reputedly in China. 

As long as it has Fujifilm guarantying its quality, that is what matters. 

globalisation.

Large companies produce wherever they see fit the items which they sell to produce at a price which they can can position the item on the market.

The important thing is the QC.

Yamaha the largest musical products company in the world . Ha factories in Japan, Indonesia and China. They make there student models in China ( because labor cost is affecting those the most ).

From this point of view it is not strange that a camera for the more budget conscious consumer, the X-T10, is made in Thailand and the X-T1 is made in Japan.

Also this tells you something about the positioning in their market segment ( expensive in that segment) of a camera such as the X-70.

All my Fuji lenses, whether made in China or Japan, are excellent in every respect and without looking you couldn’t tell them apart.

Quality Control is not a matter of nationality but a matter of company policy.

Yamaha saxophone made in China are made to the same exact specification and quality control as the Yamaha saxophones made in Japan or Indonesia.

The only difference is the labour cost which has an higher impact on cheaper models than more expensive ones.

Milandro, I have seen many comments regarding the zoom action of the 18-135, when I compare to my other zoom lenses, it most definitely not as smooth or free as the Japanese lenses.

For instance the zoom action stops short of the extremes unless more force is used to get at the ends of the zoom range, I hear also that this is normal from reading other comments! If you have this lens try it!

Mileage varies?

Maybe a design of the weather sealing problem peculiar to this model. My Japanese made lenses are buttery smooth I.e. 18-55, 10-24 50-140.

Other than the zoom action no other complaints. I'm sure the QC policy of Fuji universally is the same

At the long and short end the 18-135 is said to get tight requiring a tad more oomph on the zoom ring,  and this is attributed to the weather sealing provided. I'll find out soon enough since my first ever Fuji kit comes this week and that is the lens it is coming with. Hopefully a nice companion to my Leica MP 240 kit.

When I feel the zoom action of my other Fuji zooms(50-140, 10-24, 18-55) the 18-135 definitely feels a bit rougher! I'm not trying to say I don't like the lens, I really do. Maybe challenging the QC of Chinese made Fuji lenses was not the best use of language,  perhaps it is a design flaw! no doubt I will be jumped all over for this comment, trouble is of course I can't have a chat with the designer! 

My new Fuji X-T1 arrived today. The body is made in JAPAN. The 18-135 is of course made in China but I am impressed with the build and feel of it. The aperture ring clicks very positively and has just the right amount of resistance. Completed both the body and lens firmware updates. Also have a 35, f2 prime coming and already have the round retro metal hood for it. I've read great things about that lens. I also ordered the Fuji Leica M adapter and will try some of my Leica M lenses. I got the adapter for half price, as I did the grip....both mint condition.  Now the fun begins.

Quality Control is not a matter of nationality but a matter of company policy.

In theory, that's right. Ever worked in a Chinese production facility that assemblies for a European or Japanese company? I did. There IS a difference. You can minimize it by extreme QC and training. But there'll be always more variation of quality output than in countries that are, well, renowned for high quality products.