I went to shoot a house today and when I turned on my camera the screen was completely white as if I had the aperture all the way open outside. I can see all my settings and the menu, so it's not the screen. If I look through the viewfinder it has the same issue. Also, if I turn on 'Auto' the camera thinks it's way too bright and can't change settings to make the picture dark enough. I've searched the interwebs and can only find 1 video related to this issue which says it's a sensor ribbon issue, but it's in Russian (which I do not speak) and it's a comprehensive repair guide (which I am not capable of performing). 

My main question is what is the repair cost for this issue? I've called Fuji and they refuse to give me a quote for the repairs. Judging by that aforementioned video, the repair looks intensive. As this is only a T-X30 I don't really want to spend $500 to repair it. Also, is this common? My wife and I both bought a X-T30 in 2019 switching from Cannon. At the time Cannon was way over priced and way behind, but even my 20 year old digital cannon still works. This thing isn't even 4 years old and I only use it 3-4 times a week for about an hour at a time.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by DanielM
grammatical error

That's a very unfair comment cpX. I have an X-T2 which I bought in 2016 and is still going strong (now converted to infra-red), an X-T3 and an XE -3. All still  working. I know photographers that have had  Nikons and Canons that have failed. You can be unlucky with any make. Remember the Canon eos 5d mirror problem? They used to fall out. And the Nikon oil on sensor problem? Not to mention the Leica M8 with the peeling sensor cover glass coating.

On 10/28/2022 at 2:33 PM, DanielM said:

My main question is what is the repair cost for this issue? I've called Fuji and they refuse to give me a quote for the repairs. Judging by that aforementioned video, the repair looks intensive. As this is only a T-X30 I don't really want to spend $500 to repair it. Also, is this common? My wife and I both bought a X-T30 in 2019 switching from Cannon. At the time Cannon was way over priced and way behind, but even my 20 year old digital cannon still works. This thing isn't even 4 years old and I only use it 3-4 times a week for about an hour at a time.

Sorry to hear about your troubles with this one; but to try to answer some of your questions, No, this is not common. It is difficult to give a price estimate — that is something repair shops do. However, if you can obtain the parts, a decent computer repair shop can also do that type of replacement and there are camera repair shops usually in larger population centers that can give you better estimates.

The $500 you are considering is large compared to the newly bought price of the body, but that is the weird part of having the body price so comparatively “low”. If the body cost $10,000, then $500 for parts and labor seems better, even though it is the same amount of money.

And yes, all of the other brands, even beloved ones like Hasselblad also have issues from time to time and the folks on the receiving end do not like it.