Lost Eyecup / Eye Piece X-Pro 2

Hey guys, lost my eyecup as well...

Well actually, I found it split in half in my bag.

My theory is that the eyecup is rubbing on my bag and got damaged this way.

I wonder what is the turn around for Fuji? I saw online some people received the part other had to send their camera away.

I have an authorize service center near my house. I wonder if I can just show up and have them fix the issue?

I'm pretty sure this is a manufacturing defect. It happened to my camera and Fujifilm's service center in Singapore replaced it without charge, within a day.  When I went to pick up the camera, there was another gentleman there who had the same issue and he had his replaced by a service center in Japan while he was traveling there.

A part like this which is not supposed to be removable, shouldn't come off so easily so often. My cameras are used for work so they do take a bit of a beating, but I expect a 'pro' camera to be somewhat durable. Hence my thinking that this is a manufacturing defect and should be on Fuji to replace. Happy they did so in my case!

• 4 weeks later...

Have just returned from 9 days in Norway... without my replacement eye cup :( Fortunately, it stayed on whilst I was in the very wet Bergen area and I remember thinking that it was doing a good job. Alas, somewhere in Oslo it had fallen off, but luckily it was sunny all week. I now regret not gluing it on.

again, despite the fact that it is technically possible to glue the part on (if not broken in two as few people have reported), this would:

1) Void the guarantee

2) You can never be sure that the camera will still be as weather resistant as Fuji made the camera to be.

Hence the need to send the camera to its maker and have it fixed by them, hopefully in a more permanent way.

This is probably a design fault which should have been detected and solved BEFORE the cameras came out but unfortunately, due to the pressure to introduce cameras as soon as possible and limiting the Beta tests to a bare minimum, this appears not to have been the case.

I hope that the X-T2, which underwent and undergoes similar pressure to an early introduction won’t reveal similar flaws in one of more of its parts.

Almost anyone whom I know has bought the X Pro 2 has had to deal with this problem, which to me means that also a fair number of the beta testers must have had the same, but apparently Fuji is subscribing to “ risk making a mistake now and say sorry later, if that is the case”.

Hence the need to send the camera to its maker and have it fixed by them, hopefully in a more permanent way.

This is probably a design fault which should have been detected and solved BEFORE the cameras came out but unfortunately, due to the pressure to introduce cameras as soon as possible and limiting the Beta tests to a bare minimum, this appears not to have been the case.

Trouble is the word "hopefully" - I can't see how they can re-engineer what is simply a push on component. Fuji put on the original, it fell off. I put on the replacement, it fell off. So, I conclude it is a design fault. Even when attached, it barely does the job and poorly serves us glasses wearers. I'm a little surprised that the army of professional beta testers didn't insist on changes. 

I am sure that, by now, they have been swept by such a wave of complaints about this that they will come up with a permanent solution.

If you repair this yourself, don’t complain if, the moment something else will go wrong, that they say, “ well it is because you repaired it yourself’.

On April 23, 2016, I posted the following comment concerning a replacement eye-cup.  The one I made is still working fine and is firmly in place.  Here is what I said:

I wear glasses and with my XPro 2 had problems with blocking out side light around the original eye piece.  I purchased a Nikon eye cup DK-19 for $1.50 (free postage) on Ebay which fits perfectly around the outer circumference of the Fuji rubber eyepiece.  I first masked off around the Fuji eyepiece with masking tape and twice tried to attach the Nikon eye cup with Elmer's rubber cement.  Although I followed the label instructions for a "stronger bond", this failed twice.  I then used with complete success Permatex Adhesive Sealant Clear RTV Silicone (80050).  DAP makes a like product, both being widely available.  Without my glasses this now works perfectly to block out side light, with the glasses on it is better than before.  I also find that in my case I can slightly adjust the diopter adjustment to provide sharp vision in the EVF without wearing my glasses.  It is adequate on the LCD.  I was at first concerned that the added Nikon eye cup would protrude back too much but it doesn't.

Here is someone else who used a DK-19:   https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57599694

Having lost my 2nd eye-cup, I returned my XPro2 for repair. This was a very fast and simple process: 

1. Filled in a support request form online
  2. Fuji posted me the pre-paid return packaging
  3. Posted camera to Fuji
  4. Camera returned to me 5 days later

On the plus side, the camera has been thoroughly cleaned, like new!

On the downside, they performed a factory reset losing all of my customisations... I also had to learn how to use my X-T1 buttons again which was remarkably frustrating but I still got good images!

• 3 months later...

Phoned Fuji in New Jersey directly and spoke to Steve Skolsky.  Very helpful explaining what has happened and how this is probably the biggest design flaw on the X-Pro2.  I dislike the fact I can see the innards of the electronics without the eye piece.  He sent me an email to respond with my contact information and he sent out a new piece.  I may just have to use an additional adhesive to make sure it doesn't get pulled out when I pull the camera from the bag.  No longer need to send out for service and be without a camera.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 1 month later...

Phoned Fuji in New Jersey directly and spoke to Steve Skolsky.  Very helpful explaining what has happened and how this is probably the biggest design flaw on the X-Pro2.  I dislike the fact I can see the innards of the electronics without the eye piece.  He sent me an email to respond with my contact information and he sent out a new piece.  I may just have to use an additional adhesive to make sure it doesn't get pulled out when I pull the camera from the bag.  No longer need to send out for service and be without a camera.

I had the same experience but I can't get my new rubber eyecup to fit and stay. Did you have any issues and how did you get it to work? Thanks! Terry

I had the same experience but I can't get my new rubber eyecup to fit and stay. Did you have any issues and how did you get it to work? Thanks! Terry

Sugru.

I posted a thread on the other Fuji X forum on this a short while ago. One of the (many!) comments referenced a blogger who is collecting a database of X Pro2 customers dissatisfied with Fuji's unacceptable response to this small but significant design flaw. I'd encourage everyone to add their names to the list to try to get Fuji to bring out a more robust fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I live about 25 miles from Fuji in Edison NJ. I use my gear for work (and play) and I don't like a consumer experience when I need help.

I have found that Fuji repair in Edison goes out of their way to make life easier when I do have a problem. Do a little research and find
out the right person to hit up with an email. You just might get them to send the eyepiece to you. Especially if you work with your camera.

My XT1 grip had the rubber material sliding off. I was using it a lot this summer and I guess the heat and sweat caused it to start peeling away
from the body. After a while it was a real pain in the butt so I dropped it at Fuji. I wasn't in a rush and so waited for the estimate to be
mailed to me. How much could it cost to put some glue on the camera body? When I got the 149.00 estimate I drove back down to
Fuji and asked to speak with a supervisor. I got the guy in charge of the repair department. I explained that I didn't mind paying for the
work but 149.00 I thought was a bit excessive. The guy knew what gear I owned before he came out to talk to me, and we had a nice discussion about the X cameras. He then said he would do the repair free and throw in a cleaning and calibration. I thought that was very gracious and probably a good business decision based on how much Fuji gear I own.

Good luck with the eyepiece, I'm sure I'm right behind you with that thing.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...