Your X camera wishlist

Conflan

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I want a camera with less features.

I really liked the idea of what Nikon did with the Df, but I don't think they went far enough. They took their top sensor, shoved it into a remolded D600, took away the video and called it good.

I want something less: No video, no back screen, no exposure comp. Pure manual, like with the film cameras. While I started photography all digitally, I have taken a course with black and white film and it was great: The simplicity of shooting with no chimping, the thoughtfulness of changing and checking the dials and exposure before shooting, and the simple thought of not worrying about gear. I just had a small 50mm or 28mm on my Canon AE-1, grabbed a couple rolls of film, and I was set for the day. I want that simplicity with a camera; preferably a Fujifilm camera.

I like the XT-1 a lot. It also happens to cost a lot. For this camera I'm talking about that's similar to film, I want these features:

Weather Sealing (I don't want to worry about the elements, which makes shooting my only thought.)

Fully manual control (Just the ISO and shutter speed dials, and maybe a front dial for changing aperture if the lens doesn't have it.)

No back screen (I'd like to make the phone app more useful and use the phone as the means to change multiple settings, similar to the gopro's where more control comes from using the phone app)

Same EVF of XT-1 (It's a great EVF, and you have to view the world somehow.)

Larger Grip Accessories (I like my DSLR grip. I have a Canon T3i, and even still I want a larger, deeper grip. Smaller cameras are nice, but mirrorless cameras can be hard to hold and they don't get much battery.)

Cheaper price (This may be hard to accomplish, but if it could come under $1000, like $700 or so, that would be great.)

Optional ideas:
Black and white sensor (No color available, like with the Leica monochrome. Personally though I'd like this to be a sister model or special edition that is released along with the normal, color X-tran version.)

Full frame (Being used to shooting on a T3i, the APS-C size sensor is poor for low light. I've never shot a Fuji camera, and if the hype is real then maybe this point is moot, but it would be kind of nice to have something directly compete against the Sony A7 series, and Fujfilm is already doing well with APS-C sized sensor.)

Similarly, I'd like an X100 that had features similar to these. If anything, I'd like these ideas to be showcased on an X100 first before a XT-1 model is made.

Additionally, I'd like to see some new lenses come out, like a weather sealed 56mm f1.2, and an ultra wide f2.8 zoom to match the medium and tele f2.8 zooms. Finally a small (35mm equiv) 18mm lens would be nice as well. Then I'd pack all three weather sealed lenses: the 18mm, the 50mm, and 135mm equivalents.

My wish list for the X-T2 looks like this

1) a battery meter that actually meters the battery. I've taken my camera out when it says it has a full battery and had it die before i was finished framing a single shot. If the battery is halfway to dead or even on the verge of dying, i would appreciate the meter saying as much. How the hell has this not been fixed yet.

2) higher resolution sensor - I make prints and I would like them to be sharper, these lenses kick ass and my printer is using every pixel on anything larger than 8". I don't care if it's X-trans or not. It would probably be better if it had more than 15 phase-detect points.

3)push-push locks on the dials. As useful as dial locks sometimes are, I'd love to be able to unlock them and have them stay unlocked. I keep accidentally changing the drive mode while contorting my hand to change the iso on the go.

4) Built-in GPS. The phone app is a janky disaster, a gps antenna uses almost no power and geotags are very useful to me.

5) RGB histogram, and the option for zebras in the viewfinder

6) A RAW shooting mode, or at the very least the ability to save raw files when you bump the drive mode from S to double exposure or whatever (i hate that S is dead centre on the dial next to that minefield). It'd be nice to see a preview and histogram based on the raw files, but I'll at least take not being stuck with jpgs after. If i really had my druthers, raw mode would hide the millions of options cluttering the menu that only effect jpg files.

7) either drastically improved or completely untouched video. But since they're probably working with a new sensor and don't have the option to do nothing, they might as well go all out and nail it the first time: 4k, all-i, super high bitrate, all the pro video bells and whistles i don't fully understand. The same consumer-level video, followed by a kaizen update with marginally better consumer-level seems like a massive waste of their development time. Panasonic's success here kinda proves that video is mostly a software problem and all you have to do to get a huge fanbase is offer good enough video.

8) ETTR metering. We have the exact output from the sensor and a fulltime histogram!!! If I'm shooting in A-mode in the early evening with the sun outside the frame there is no reason to have blown highlights!! I know this is a lot to ask, but we're 20 years into the digital revolution, i would like my camera to work in a way that understands it's own medium. Having to shoot even my casual snapshots in full manual specifically because my camera is not programmed for a digital sensor is ridiculous.

9) everything else pretty much exactly the same, these are almost the only things i don't like about my x-t1

My Lens wish list looks like this

1) A WR 10-24/2.8 that's as uncompromising as the other two red-label 2.8 zooms are. The 10-24/4 is probably my least favorite Fuji lens. It's an awesome lens overall, especially compared to other uwa zooms but its slow, a little soft and not weathersealed.

2) knowing they won't make that, a ~10 or 11mm F/2. It would bookend the current lineup of primes and give both night landscape and concert shooters a new favourite lens. If it had straight aperture blades that would be icing on the cake.

3) 16-90 F/4 WR. As solid as the 18-135 is, it's not a constant aperture and its not wide enough. Going all the way to 90 would be a nice way to oneup canon and nikon's F/4 zooms.

4) A bigger 35mm, faster or better corrected, whatever, i just want a lens i can use comfortably without taking the grip off my xt1. This is admittedly a kinda stupid thing to complain about. An x100 with a fixed 35 is probably more sensible.

5) some cheap slow ish, decent-performing primes so that i don't have to tell people interested in the system that nearly every interesting lens is exactly $1000. Maybe sigma could release some more of those DN lenses, they're spectacularly alright for the money.

I switched to Fuji in the first place because their philosophy gelled with mine, so i don't think most of this is too outlandish.

This would be nice.

I'd love when the Fuji cameras would allow to display the settings screen on the LCD display while using the EVF. I don't need to see the image on there (except for some macro shots where the camera is close to the ground), but it's nice to have a quick overview of the camera settings (like the AF point and such).

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'd love when the Fuji cameras would allow to display the settings screen on the LCD display while using the EVF. I don't need to see the image on there (except for some macro shots where the camera is close to the ground), but it's nice to have a quick overview of the camera settings (like the AF point and such).

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Mine does.

(sent from my Clevo W150HR using Thunderbird 43.0b1, I guess...)