Your X camera wishlist

Conflan

Nissin i40 flashes work TTL either on-camera or through Canon-compatable cords. There's no wireless TTL for Fuji, but if you use something like the Cactus system, you can still control power and zoom remotely.

Yes this seems to be the best option so far but being lazy I don't want to have to use workarounds :) And as far as I know it's still not possible to use high speed sync with any existing flash system on Fuj.

Now, if rising the ISO value, say from 1600 to 3200, doesn't almplify the signal, how can we see the results we see?

Generally the ISO setting increases the analogue amplification up to a certain point – say ISO 1600. From that point onward the amplification stays the same but the camera will multiply the digitised signal to account for the higher ISO setting. The reason for the switch from analogue to digital amplification (i.e. multiplication) is that analogue amplification reduces quantisation noise in the eventual image, but only up to a certain point; when the ISO setting is higher than that there is nothing to be gained from amplifying the analogue signal and one could just as well multiply the digital values.

For example, let’s assume that base ISO is 200, the amplification is increased up to ISO 1600, and the chosen ISO setting is 6400. In that case the amplification factor would be 8 times higher than at base ISO, the amplified signal would be digitised, and the digital value multiplied by 4: ISO 200 * 8 * 4 = ISO 6400.

This is how the majority of cameras work. Fuji’s X models are different in that they don’t use multiplication. Like other models they increase the analogue gain up to a certain point (ISO 1600), but above that point they don’t multiply the values by a factor accounting for the increased ISO.

The problem with both analogue amplification and multiplication is that it reduces dynamic range. Doubling the values, be it analogue or digital, results in a one stop reduction in dynamic range. Now analogue amplification is still a good idea as it reduces quantisation noise but multiplication has nothing going for it.

Now of course if you don’t crank up the gain above ISO 1600 and you don’t multiply either, the images would look underexposed. This can be rectified by applying a gamma curve brightening the midtones but preserving the highlights. This way one gets a correctly exposed image but without the usual loss of dynamic range.

So let's dream. I want a new, global shutter sensor. This would eliminate the need of the shutter... 1/32.000s.. Wide open in daylight without ND.

Combine it with a proper flash sync speed for freezing actions and i'm all sold.

If they could add a good video eith flat profile aww man!

(Or the wildest guess: layered sensor. I'm fine with APSC dept of field, but a 24-28 mpx true resolution layered sensor would be a beast in terms of DR and high ISO)

Some things I've found useful on my little GoPro camera:

- A faster interval mode - currently 1 frame per second on the X-T1. Double that would be good.

- A 'burst mode' - 10-30 frames in 1 - 3 seconds, triggered by remote control

- A dedicated wireless remote control, waterproof, rugged and wearable

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes this seems to be the best option so far but being lazy I don't want to have to use workarounds :) And as far as I know it's still not possible to use high speed sync with any existing flash system on Fuj.

HSS is nice if you only need to cut the ambient light that much vey rarely, but if you're doing it a lot, tbh just get some ND filters. A 1 stop, 3 stop and 5 stop (or 2, 4 and 6) will have you covered for all conditions. If you ever shoot wide open in daylight then you should probably have some ND filters with you anyway.

I have put a little thought into this and trying to be as pragmatic as I can.  I would truly like to see a FF camera from Fuji.  But the reasons are not all that technical.  Where I see Fuji using FF is only in the X100 line (at first)  I feel that that line was well positioned to be a major alternative to Leica and its success shows they were right.  The economics of a slight redesign of the body to accommodate size and development of "one" awesome lens seem to justify this move.  The idea of a MF is just to niche for any significant profits.  There is very little chance of pulling sales from other lines as well. There is a builtin user base that will upgrade and sidelined base that will adopt.  Lastly, I feel users know the X100 as the test platform for the other lines and this move will be easily accepted.  It all points to low risk, good profit and steady progression.  

For those that look to how well the XTrans performs, you are right.  And as ZA has noted there is very little of a jump from the current platform to FF.  That said,  in consumer products it is very rare that a company will make a quantum leap in technology.  Look at Autos, clothing or Cell Phones and 100s of other segments, they all move in small steps.

Save the organic sensor for the X-Pro line and you will get more folks buying two cameras :)  Not that everyone wants to shell out more $$$ but this is about Fuji as a business.

I don't know about the 4K... speaking for me, I purchased the X-T1 to make photos and in 5 months haven't touched that red dot

one time.

Leaf shutter, again, there are pros and cons, first of all the maximum shutter speed. I'm happy with what I have now, even better

will be a global shutter.

Agree on the IBIS, it would be great, but the camera cost will be even higher than now.

REALLY NEED 4K.

Why? To me a camera of this format will never achieve really good video. It's not steady, there's no room for big hardware and proper ventilation, it can be a convenience but that's it, so HD is more than enough to record your drunken friends.

Get a Phantom or something if you're into video.

Better get something really good at 1 thing than a jack-of-all-trades vaguely ok at everything.

I would appreciate a camera that doesn't become any smaller to hold.

My hands can easily hold and support a Canikon with BG attached  - so the X-Pro 1 is about my ideal size, but appreciate that there is room for manouvre.

Better high end ISO - would love to run with 204k ISO - but appreciate this takes some doing on the smaller sensors.

Simple dials for aperture (on ring), shutter speed and iso on top plate.

Love the 16mp sensors - such lovely images, so any 24mp sensor would need to be just as good!

Flash system that can talk to many of the strobe and speedlight systems wirelessly and tethered.

Battery Grip similar to that for XT-1 - or maybe a body with it incorporated similar to Dx series or 1D series from Canikon - and this could be used to provide imporved battery life, or a second battery slot & duplication of main controls and shutter button.

Dual Memory Card support or WiFI that allows on the fly transfer to a wifi ext h/d for external back up of images - negating the need to carry loads of memory cards when on a full day or holiday shoot.

Weather sealing would be extremely nice, and at a price that doesn't make the Canikons look attractively priced!

Frame override lever similar to what I had on the Canon A1 that would allow me to shoot a frame and then re-shoot on that frame - but I suppose this is sorted oout through software nowadays!

Full Frame? NOt overly fussed- had a 5D2 (well pair of them) since they were first released, and TBH do not really see the difference...

Yep, I think that covers most of what I would like...

So you picked up the wrong tool and now the company has to adjust for your special needs. Selling amateur kids videos to clients, 4k please. Rrrrright.

If Fuji took off in the first place, it's because they offered a photographer's camera in a market saturated with mass-consumer devices (they are poor man's leica if you like).

Asking them to adjust to Sony and signing up their downfall because it happens you suddenly could make money with video is really unbelievable.

Ah well I guess nowadays selfishness has become the norm.

Generally the ISO setting increases the analogue amplification up to a certain point – say ISO 1600. From that point onward the amplification stays the same but the camera will multiply the digitised signal to account for the higher ISO setting. The reason for the switch from analogue to digital amplification (i.e. multiplication) is that analogue amplification reduces quantisation noise in the eventual image, but only up to a certain point; when the ISO setting is higher than that there is nothing to be gained from amplifying the analogue signal and one could just as well multiply the digital values.

For example, let’s assume that base ISO is 200, the amplification is increased up to ISO 1600, and the chosen ISO setting is 6400. In that case the amplification factor would be 8 times higher than at base ISO, the amplified signal would be digitised, and the digital value multiplied by 4: ISO 200 * 8 * 4 = ISO 6400.

This is how the majority of cameras work. Fuji’s X models are different in that they don’t use multiplication. Like other models they increase the analogue gain up to a certain point (ISO 1600), but above that point they don’t multiply the values by a factor accounting for the increased ISO.

The problem with both analogue amplification and multiplication is that it reduces dynamic range. Doubling the values, be it analogue or digital, results in a one stop reduction in dynamic range. Now analogue amplification is still a good idea as it reduces quantisation noise but multiplication has nothing going for it.

Now of course if you don’t crank up the gain above ISO 1600 and you don’t multiply either, the images would look underexposed. This can be rectified by applying a gamma curve brightening the midtones but preserving the highlights. This way one gets a correctly exposed image but without the usual loss of dynamic range.

Thanks for sharing. Good to know.

+1 on everything citral said. Picking up Fuji and then complaining that their video isn't good is just ludicrous. If video was important to you before, you could have easily researched what Fuji's video is like before switching. If you only got interested in video after switching then it's really not on Fuji to change their product line to match what you like now.

As far as video goes, that is the one area which makes no sense for Fuji to bother with. There's literally no argument in favour of it. Of all the things Fuji could improve upon, video is the one which will be of least benefit to Fuji. The kinds of people who are looking for great video are already invested in Panasonic, Sony or Canon. Most video fans already jumped from dedicated video cameras to Canon DSLR, then to Panasonic systems, then back to Canon video cameras if they're career professionals. They're not going to now jump to Fuji as well; there's nothing Fuji does or can add which isn't already being done by other systems, systems those people already have in their hands. Fuij could put IBIS in a body or IS on every lens, they could put dampened gear focusing on a zoom lens with a completely free aperture ring, they could put in 4K, mic and headphone jacks, a larger grip with triple battery life and double their noise performance and they still wouldn't be quite up to par with the systems videographers already own.

Use your Fujis for stills, pick up a second hand GH4 if you're charging for your video or a GH3 if you think it'll be part of your business but you're not entirely used to video production yet. If video is or becomes your main port of call, get at least a C100.

Oh, and you definitely do not need 4k. Nobody does. It's going to be another 5-6 years before 4k displays become accessible to consumers at a price point which will actually shift units. It's still a decade away from being a broadcast standard. Right now its only worth is for cropping and archival purposes, both of which are great if you ever work for a major television or film production, but are near-useless otherwise.

I mean, I've done video work for the BBC and that was done with a C100 for one short period and a GH2 for most of it. Mostly shot at ISO 3200, some scenes up to 12,800. That was an hour-long HD BBC television broadcast and the GH2 did fine. At no point did I think "boy, I wish this was a Fuji camera" or "this sucks, oh if only I could get 120fps and 4k."

As far as video goes, that is the one area which makes no sense for Fuji to bother with. There's literally no argument in favour of it.

one could say they are already building really really good cine lenses.. why wouldn't they try to make an own camera too? 

the question is, if they could combine both still and video in one unit or if they would have to split it.. which would not be really wise i think.. 

I would really like to see a preview option that shows highlight blowouts (clipping) when reviewing a photo.  I used that a lot on my SLR and miss having it on the X-T1.

Also a good flash.  I use the iNissin on my X-T1 and it gets me by ... but it is unreliable at times and it is a bit to delicate.  A robust, ready to work flash (something around the size of the Nikon SB700 would be nice) for the Fuji bodies would be nice to see (with TTL support obviously).  Most don't shoot wireless TTL but if it has that, that would be a nice perk.

Look at this project: http://konost.com

It just reminds how it's a shame the epson RD1 never really took off. Imagine how the RD1 (2006) would be like with today's tech...

A x camera with Konost tech would be my dream camera. Fuji should figure out a way to develop fujinon lenses with AF but without focus by wire. That would be my dream camera! Imagine a real digital rangefinder with:

- xtrans sensor or organic sensor

- hybrid viewfinder (with digital RF overlay)

- no focus by wire MF

- autofocus when you want it.

- the signature Fuji looks! (X100)

- finally an affordable digital rangefinder (looking at you LEICA!)

Fujifilm should buy Konost ASAP and bring out this camera!

A full frame x100 with a fast 40mm or 50mm lens!

( I'd prefer 50mm, but 40 would probably be the smarter move. More versatile, closer to human eye, & can be smaller size. )

If I can be greedy:

throw in IBIS, top shelf weather sealing(on both camera & lens), and the latest (non- xtrans)Sony sensor.

I bet Fuji couldn't make ^that^ camera fast enough.

*And when sales go through the roof, hopefully a FF x-pro the following year.

• 2 months later...

There are really only a couple of improvements that I want, and I'd be a completely happy camper:

• Faster AF (single shot is pretty darn good now, but continuous is still lacking IMO)
  • AF points all across the frame and better face/eye tracking
  • Higher resolution

That's really it. I'm in love with the fast, lightweight, incredible primes, the manual controls, and the experience of shooting with the X-T1 and X100T. 

My wish list for the X-T2 looks like this

1) a battery meter that actually meters the battery. I've taken my camera out when it says it has a full battery and had it die before i was finished framing a single shot. If the battery is halfway to dead or even on the verge of dying, i would appreciate the meter saying as much. How the hell has this not been fixed yet.

2) higher resolution sensor - I make prints and I would like them to be sharper, these lenses kick ass and my printer is using every pixel on anything larger than 8". I don't care if it's X-trans or not. It would probably be better if it had more than 15 phase-detect points.

3)push-push locks on the dials. As useful as dial locks sometimes are, I'd love to be able to unlock them and have them stay unlocked. I keep accidentally changing the drive mode while contorting my hand to change the iso on the go.

4) Built-in GPS. The phone app is a janky disaster, a gps antenna uses almost no power and geotags are very useful to me.

5) RGB histogram, and the option for zebras in the viewfinder

6) A RAW shooting mode, or at the very least the ability to save raw files when you bump the drive mode from S to double exposure or whatever (i hate that S is dead centre on the dial next to that minefield). It'd be nice to see a preview and histogram based on the raw files, but I'll at least take not being stuck with jpgs after. If i really had my druthers, raw mode would hide the millions of options cluttering the menu that only effect jpg files.

7) either drastically improved or completely untouched video. But since they're probably working with a new sensor and don't have the option to do nothing, they might as well go all out and nail it the first time: 4k, all-i, super high bitrate, all the pro video bells and whistles i don't fully understand. The same consumer-level video, followed by a kaizen update with marginally better consumer-level seems like a massive waste of their development time. Panasonic's success here kinda proves that video is mostly a software problem and all you have to do to get a huge fanbase is offer good enough video.

8) ETTR metering. We have the exact output from the sensor and a fulltime histogram!!! If I'm shooting in A-mode in the early evening with the sun outside the frame there is no reason to have blown highlights!! I know this is a lot to ask, but we're 20 years into the digital revolution, i would like my camera to work in a way that understands it's own medium. Having to shoot even my casual snapshots in full manual specifically because my camera is not programmed for a digital sensor is ridiculous.

9) everything else pretty much exactly the same, these are almost the only things i don't like about my x-t1

My Lens wish list looks like this

1) A WR 10-24/2.8 that's as uncompromising as the other two red-label 2.8 zooms are. The 10-24/4 is probably my least favorite Fuji lens. It's an awesome lens overall, especially compared to other uwa zooms but its slow, a little soft and not weathersealed.

2) knowing they won't make that, a ~10 or 11mm F/2. It would bookend the current lineup of primes and give both night landscape and concert shooters a new favourite lens. If it had straight aperture blades that would be icing on the cake.

3) 16-90 F/4 WR. As solid as the 18-135 is, it's not a constant aperture and its not wide enough. Going all the way to 90 would be a nice way to oneup canon and nikon's F/4 zooms.

4) A bigger 35mm, faster or better corrected, whatever, i just want a lens i can use comfortably without taking the grip off my xt1. This is admittedly a kinda stupid thing to complain about. An x100 with a fixed 35 is probably more sensible.

5) some cheap slow ish, decent-performing primes so that i don't have to tell people interested in the system that nearly every interesting lens is exactly $1000. Maybe sigma could release some more of those DN lenses, they're spectacularly alright for the money.

I switched to Fuji in the first place because their philosophy gelled with mine, so i don't think most of this is too outlandish.

• 1 month later...

I expect to buy an X-Pro2 but what I really want is an XE-3 and with that...

a viewfinder/screen that does not fully auto adjust for lighting and a good exposure readout - I loved my old match-needle viewfinder from the 70's - pan it across a scene and you knew exactly where to set the exposure - My eyes are analogue, my brain is analogue, the camera sensor is analogue and I want my camera to at least feel analogue. When we have a 4 ev dynamic range to cover in the highlights the camera should help us to know where that is - not guess for us.