How do you deal with the parallax error when shooting with the OVF?

Are you not gonna regrett it when the X-T2 comes out?

I needed 2 bodies and wanted the X-Pro2 more than a second X-T1. I'm glad I made the choice I did.

When the X-T2 comes out, I will sell the X-T1, get an X-T2 and still have 2 bodies. I'm also exploring the use of the OVF and deciding if it adds something I value. I've never used a rangefinder before so it is something new and interesting to explore. It is too early to offer my experience with the OVF. In a few months I may have a conclusion.

Worst happens I also sell the X-Pro2 and get 2 X-T2's... 

I find switching between the X-T1 and X-Pro2 not as smooth as I would like. The controls are bit too different

Was there no option to wait a few months?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Not for me... I was spending too much time switching lenses... particularly because I have been enjoying shooting the Fuji primes so much. I needed a second body. 

There are two modes. In one just the focus point moves, while in the other the whole frame and point move.

Could you explain how to switch on the mode where the whole frame moves too? I've looked in the manual and menus to no avail and I really need to turn this on or the OVF is kinda useless to me...

Not for me... I was spending too much time switching lenses... particularly because I have been enjoying shooting the Fuji primes so much. I needed a second body.

I would have gone for a X-E2, as a stopgap then, in your case. While waiting for the X-T2 to come out.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I decided to get a used Xpro1. Should have it before Friday. 

I figure I'll sell it in Sept/Oct orso when I expect the X-T2 to be out. I might sell it for 100 bucks less orso but it will be worth it since I don't have a camera at all now (sold my canon gear 2 months ago).

If I enjoy the OVF a lot, I will get the XPRO2 instead. Will be interesting to see. But I think the bigger EVF and the flipscreen will be more suited for me.

Is 3.50 the latest firmware on the XPRO1 and the only firmware I need to update to?

Edited by Hermelin

I decided to get a used Xpro1. Should have it before Friday. 

I figure I'll sell it in Sept/Oct orso when I expect the X-T2 to be out. I might sell it for 100 bucks less orso but it will be worth it since I don't have a camera at all now (sold my canon gear 2 months ago).

If I enjoy the OVF a lot, I will get the XPRO2 instead. Will be interesting to see. But I think the bigger EVF and the flipscreen will be more suited for me.

Is 3.50 the latest firmware on the XPRO1 and the only firmware I need to update to?

I think you'll enjoy it.  Just learn to use the tools Fuji gives you and you'll be successful using the OVF.

Learning how to read the histogram and using it in conjunction with the EV meter (when in full manual) will help you nail your exposure...

I think you'll enjoy it.  Just learn to use the tools Fuji gives you and you'll be successful using the OVF.

Learning how to read the histogram and using it in conjunction with the EV meter (when in full manual) will help you nail your exposure...

Thanks! Never had problems in the past with my canon to get the exposure right without reading the histogram so Im not too worried :)

Hi Hermelin,

Don't know if anyone's mentioned this as I've not read every post here, but the OVF has an optional  miniature live view display showing  in the bottom right corner.  Not only does this show exactly what the EVF would, but it can be altered to display only the precise area of focus of the OVF, rather than the whole scene. This isn't intrusive, as it sits where the view would be obscured by the lens anyway.  And, as I said, if you find it distracting you can switch it off.

And there's more:  this mini EVF is responsive to exposure compensation changes, just like the LCD or main EVF would be.  So it's a neat alternative to using the histogram as you can see how bright or dark the scene is with your chosen exposure settings.

Another benefit is using it really saves on battery use.

I love the OVF, primarily for street photography.  It's very useful when your waiting for someone to come into the scene.  Being able to see them in the viewfinder whilst they're still outside the framing lines helps you click at the right moment. It also gives the impression that you're actually interested in something else besides your target subject whilst they walk into the frame lines.  And in setting like that the subjects are rarely so close that super precise framing is required.  But I would agree that there's really no functional point in going the X Pro route if you don't want or like the OVF.   Yes, it's specs are better than any other Fuji, but only for now.

Hi Hermelin,

Don't know if anyone's mentioned this as I've not read every post here, but the OVF has an optional  miniature live view display showing  in the bottom right corner.  Not only does this show exactly what the EVF would, but it can be altered to display only the precise area of focus of the OVF, rather than the whole scene. This isn't intrusive, as it sits where the view would be obscured by the lens anyway.  And, as I said, if you find it distracting you can switch it off.

And there's more:  this mini EVF is responsive to exposure compensation changes, just like the LCD or main EVF would be.  So it's a neat alternative to using the histogram as you can see how bright or dark the scene is with your chosen exposure settings.

Another benefit is using it really saves on battery use.

I love the OVF, primarily for street photography.  It's very useful when your waiting for someone to come into the scene.  Being able to see them in the viewfinder whilst they're still outside the framing lines helps you click at the right moment. It also gives the impression that you're actually interested in something else besides your target subject whilst they walk into the frame lines.  And in setting like that the subjects are rarely so close that super precise framing is required.  But I would agree that there's really no functional point in going the X Pro route if you don't want or like the OVF.   Yes, it's specs are better than any other Fuji, but only for now.

I heard that this mini evf slows down the af speed though.

I was looking through my "Mastering the X-Pro1" book again last night and realized something that I hadn't realized before...

When you turn on "Corrected AF Frame", you have two AF Frames inside your OVF, one solid and one with dashed lines.  The dashed lines gives you a focus area for objects at about 32 inches.  Playing with it last night, really helped me in focusing on objects at closer distances.  I've always had this on, but just goes to show that really reading through these manuals and books helps you to fully understand your camera and how to use it to the best of it's ability.

I'm just gonna read the whole book again I think, as flipping through, there are several other things I want to re-explore with my Pro1.

Edited by CRAusmus

I was looking through my "Mastering the X-Pro1" book again last night and realized something that I hadn't realized before...

When you turn on "Corrected AF Frame", you have two AF Frames inside your OVF, one solid and one with dashed lines.  The dashed lines gives you a focus area for objects at about 32 inches.  Playing with it last night, really helped me in focusing on objects at closer distances.  I've always had this on, but just goes to show that really reading through these manuals and books helps you to fully understand your camera and how to use it to the best of it's ability.

I'm just gonna read the whole book again I think, as flipping through, there are several other things I want to re-explore with my Pro1.

I learned about the correct af frame on this very helpful page http://vopoku.com/fujifilm-ovf-focusing/

Finally got my Xpro1 today, and been shooting just for short while. Enjoying the OVF and really prefer it to the EVF which I find ugly, small, dark and lagging.

I guess my experience would be different if I had a huge evf like the X-T1. I remember when I had the x100s 3 years ago, I only shot with the EVF for some reason.

Have no problem with the parallax error so far. I only got a 18mm to try it on so far, but I don't find it frustrating, I have corrected af frame on, and I find it pretty easy to anticipate where the focus point is going to move to.

Beautiful camera, beautiful jpegs! Test shot of my son, straight out of cam, no editing except resizing.

CZRjtnL.jpg

One stupid simple question. How do I move the af point when I shoot continues focus?

Edited by Hermelin

Just hit the AF button and use the d-pad to move it around, the command dial to change the size.  In OVF, you only have 25 positions for the AF Area, unlike in EVF/LCD, you have 49.

Never mind.  That's single focus.  Misunderstood the question.  You can't move it in continuous...

Edited by CRAusmus

I've never found a situation where Continuous Focus works more efficiently then Single.  If I'm shooting sports or action I'm either tracking, or I've prefocused on the area and waiting on the subject to enter the frame.

If you intend to shoot this kind of stuff though I think the T1 is the better camera for you.  It's got multiple AF modes that aid in shooting moving objects, that I think really shine when shooting action.

I don't think I've ever used C-AF on the Pro1 though, so perhaps someone else can chime in with how to get the best performance out of it.

This is an interesting video showing C-AF actually helps in low light situations.  Your results may vary, but if it's worth checking out just to see what may be an improvement in AF when using C-AF.

I've tried this myself and I have admit, it does seem to work.

Another question. In OVF mode, I only want the levels, but not the histogram, is it possible to get rid of? 

You can configure all screens to show you only what you want to see.  So literally you could have every conceivable piece of information for you.  Your OVF could be configured only to show you the  information you want to get the shot, the LCD could be configured to show you an information screen and the EVF could be configured completely separately.  One of the beauties of the OVF actually as it gives you three screens that are customizable.

Shooting Menu 4, Display Custom Setting.

You can configure all screens to show you only what you want to see.  So literally you could have every conceivable piece of information for you.  Your OVF could be configured only to show you the  information you want to get the shot, the LCD could be configured to show you an information screen and the EVF could be configured completely separately.  One of the beauties of the OVF actually as it gives you three screens that are customizable.

Shooting Menu 4, Display Custom Setting.

Thank you!!

I'm confused about the rangefinder vs DLSR debate when it comes to Fuji cameras. With one exception, the X-Pro2 will likely be identical to the X-T2 except in form factor. That exception allows you to use a fantastic hybrid optical viewfinder on the Pro. You can always use the electronic viewfinder and have the same expereince as an X-T# camera with a viewfinder on the left instead of the center. It's the best of both worlds with no major compromises.

Of course, if the real deciding factor is mechanical style, then it is a matter of taste and not really up to debate.

PS I've owned both DSLRS (Nikon) and the X100s and X-E2. For me the X-Pro2 is by far the best camera I've ever used.

Edited by vchurch