How do you deal with the parallax error when shooting with the OVF?

I sold my all Canon gear to switch to Fuji. I was considering the X-Pro 2 for a while but I'm leaning to wait for the X-T2 (that wait will last for probably another 5 months or so though, ugh).

The reason being that I'm not sold on the OVF, the parallax error seems pretty distracting.

If I would buy this camera I would shoot as much as possible with the OVF (otherwise it makes no sense getting this camera).

I plan on getting the 18 f/2, 35 F/2 and 56 f/1.2

I wonder how you deal with this issue?

Edited by Hermelin

-Parallax becomes an issue for near subjects only.

-When I'm too near, I switch to EVF.

-I don't know for every lens on Xpro2 but on X100T the frame is corrected in manuel focus.

-Last but not least, in manual focus, you can still use autofocus by pressing AEL/AFL button on, and the frame follows the distance.

Edited by Fredkelder

Shoot as if you were shooting a rangefinder camera—both eyes open, watching for "decisive moments". OVFs have never been precise—that is why SLRs gradually took over from RF cameras last century. Slide film left no possibility for cropping after the exposure. Colour film ended the era of the enthusiast darkroom since it was vastly more technically demanding than B&W.

Capture the subject and environment and fine tune the composition in processing. With an SLR, you are watching the action on a little projection screen, much as with an EVF. With an OVF, you are actually looking through the camera at the scene itself. Float the frame lines over the subject and trip the shutter whenever it gets interesting. The hybrid finder gives you the best of both worlds.

I think I finally understood the Fuji's OVF thanks to this very helpful page: http://vopoku.com/fujifilm-ovf-focusing/ 

When I have the corrected AF frame on I will see 2 focus boxes and within those 2 boxes ("focus range") there will be a third and green focus box of where my actually focus will be vill be. Is this correctly understood from my part?

So the correct AF frame is to help to show the range of where the real focus will be?

Edited by Hermelin

I don't know about any parallax error about the X-Pro 2 but to me the X-Pro 1 was like a mixed experience, i bought it mainly for the OVF, image quality, the amazing fuji lenses and the "retro" controls/dials, at first didn't noticed any terrible parallax error, then i started to compose "in more critical situations" with my 35 1.4  and started to notice it was there, at first was kinda frustrating because i don't liked the idea of using the EVF, so i started to practice at different distances with the camera mounted into a tripod and i saw the error is only present at the bottom and the right side of the image, top and left line of the OVF frame are very precise in my experience, nothing really bad if you aren't extremely obsessive, i just got used to it so i know when im taking pictures that there is going to be a little bit more at bottom/right, so i recompose based on what i learned, not distracting, it just becomes second nature, sometimes i just crop the extra bit without any problems or regrets, i just use EVF when the subject is at one arm of distance or less and that is like the 5% of the time, the other 95% i'm enjoying the OVF.

Important note!!! The OVF zooms in by default when i mount the XF35 1.4, i ALWAYS zoom out the OVF, that's maybe the reason why it is less precise to me, i just shoot that way because i like to see more context outside the frame, just to get more of the "rangefinderish experience" and that's the way i like it  ;)

Edited by Kaisui

So both the focus box AND the frameline moves when pressing the shutter half down?

It needs to be confirmed with a X-pro user but that's right for X100T.  That said, 92% cover + parallax = when I need a very precise frame, I prefer EVF. Even if this EVF is not 100% precise but we live in the amazing Fuji world. ;)

Edited by Fredkelder

The OVF of the X-Pro2 is pretty smart. There are two issues, actually, though they become less pronounced when your subject is not extremely close. First, the image framing is not what you think it will be — the actual framing for close images is a bit lower and to the right, with the amount depending on distance to subject. After you AF, the framing lines move to estimate where the image boundaries will actually be. Eventually you can predict their location pretty well and just shoot.

The second, related issue is that the focus point is also going to be a bit down and to the right from the indicator in the center of the frame. When you Af, the X-Pro2 moves the indicator to show you the actual focus location. Again, the difference is very small with further subjects. (There are two modes. In one just the focus point moves, while in the other the whole frame and point move.)

If you are very concerned about this, either switch to the EVF, which doesn't have a parallax issue, or wait for the XT2.

Dan

Edited by gdanmitchell

I sold my all Canon gear to switch to Fuji. I was considering the X-Pro 2 for a while but I'm leaning to wait for the X-T2 (that wait will last for probably another 5 months or so though, ugh).

The reason being that I'm not sold on the OVF, the parallax error seems pretty distracting.
If I would buy this camera I would shoot as much as possible with the OVF (otherwise it makes no sense getting this camera).

I plan on getting the 18 f/2, 35 F/2 and 56 f/1.2

I wonder how you deal with this issue?

Parallax error is going to be with any rangefinder system.. real or simulated, using the OVF. Should not get it if it's going to be an issue.. You're really better off with the X-T1 or upcoming X-T2.. if you want the next latest and greatest.. though, a less expensive, but nearly just as good options are the X-T10 and X-E2 (& X-E2S).

That being said, I love and try to use the OVF on my X-Pro2 as often as possible.  The parallax issue really isn't as big a deal as you may think or anticipate.  For the most part, it mostly effects closer range focusing.. the simulated bright frame lines do a good job of approximating the edges of your intended composition. At longer distances, you won't even notice the difference in how the framelines adjust after you've focused.  You really shouldn't be using the OVF if you intend to do really close up shots.. quickly switch to the EVF for precise framing.

OVF is not for everyone.. I personally find it fun to try and master... I would forewarn you that if you're not use to the type of shooting with parallax error, it may be frustrating and you may find you may want to just use the EVF more often than the OVF.. The EVF really is superior in most respects, you better see exactly what you will get and the keeper rate is usually higher, BUT, it's refreshing to change the way you shoot with the OVF.. you have to imagine the scene you want to capture more and what you see will never be 100% what you get in the final image.. which is actually a nice surprise.. 1, surprise in what you thought your would get and what you actually did get and it still looks good.. 2, surprise when you see and get pretty much exactly what you imagined and were aiming for and essentially nail the shot with the OVF.

In regards to lenses, I have exactly the same ones using on my X-Pro2.. 18mm f2, 35mm f/2 & 56mm f1.2.. I'd like to go wider, but holding off simply because anything wider than 18mm the OVF won't be able to represent and anything longer than 56mm will get too small to be of any use.. you might be able to squeeze and use the 90mm f/2.. but that's about as far as you may want to go on the tele end.  Waiting for an updated 23mm f/2 (which I imagine should be about the same form factor as the 35mm f/2).. I also picked up a 27mm f2.8 recently.. I miss the aperture ring, but I got it to enjoy the most compact and lightest form for the XP2.. and as a general purpose lens, I find the 40mm-ish 35mm equivalent focal length really ideal.. not too tight, not too wide. Great for when you just don't want to carry even a small bag and kit and just keep the XP2 with 1 lens close to you with least physical protrusion and weight dangling off your neck, wrist or pocket (depending on how you plan to carry it on it's own).

I would imagine if you were a Canon shooter, it's more likely you'd be more pleased with the upcoming X-T2 if you're willing to wait for it. The design and versatility is better transition than to a rangefinder style camera.

Edited by Wing0949

I also sold all of my Canon gear to buy the X-Pro2, 16mm f/1.4, 35mm f/2, and the 90mm f/2. Parallax is a nonissue with the 16 and 35, but an inconvenience with the 90mm. That said, the OVF is not very usable to me with the 90mm attached as the lens protrudes into the frame, so it is not a big surprise to me. Do I regret my switch? Not at all. It's the most fun I've had with any digital camera including the 5D Mark III despite it's focusing strength in poor lighting. I took the X-Pro2 out the other night to shoot a small rap show and used 12,800 ISO, f/2, and 1/125th shutter speed. A horrible condition, and the camera certainly struggled to focus when set to continuous, but gave me some fantastic shots with the help of peak focusing in manual focus mode (not available with the Canon) and when using the AF-L button in the single shot mode. If I were a professional concert photographer, it would not be my first choice, but it is small and subtle and doesn't get a second glance from the musicians. An excellent offering in my mind.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Not that scarred of the the OVF anymore. I read a lot regarding it and I think I would master it fairly quickly. 

I'm just not sure it's worth paying extra for the OVF (vs getting X-T1 or X-T2 with bigger EVF).

I purchased the X-Pro2 because the X-T2 was not yet available. 

Basically, if you like to use moderate focal length primes mostly and shoot subjects where absolutely precise framing is not as important as working quickly and intuitively, the X-Pro2 is a fine bet. Fortunately, because it also has the EVF, it can double as a camera that works with longer lenses and zooms, too. 

However, if you always want precise framing and/or you use very long lenses a lot or zoom a lot, then you'll probably be happier waiting for the XT2.

Basically, if you like to use moderate focal length primes mostly and shoot subjects where absolutely precise framing is not as important as working quickly and intuitively, the X-Pro2 is a fine bet. Fortunately, because it also has the EVF, it can double as a camera that works with longer lenses and zooms, too. 

However, if you always want precise framing and/or you use very long lenses a lot or zoom a lot, then you'll probably be happier waiting for the XT2.

I'm planning of just getting the 18 f/2, 35 f/2 and 56 f/1.2. 

Argh, still torn. Wait for the X-T2 and miss a whole summer of shooting or get the X-Pro 2? 

After doing a lot of research I now understand some of the benefit of the OVF and the rangefinder body

*Being able to see outside the frame / being able to anticipate things coming in the frame. Will come to use when doing street photography 

*Having one eye free & half of face =  easier to communicate with the subject without removing the eye from the viewfinder. Thinking this will come to a lot of use when I'm taking pics of my kid

*No lag. Not sure how much the new 85fps evf lags though. Maybe nothing? Still, this should be a benefit when doing action shots. Like when my kid is running and jumping around

*Everything in focus vs the EVF which can help when shooting wide open and composing

Then again, I guess it needs to be experienced. Would love to hear from all you X-Pro 2 users regarding your experience  with the OVF