Should this eye disorder prevent me from buying an X-Pro2 - or, are there any left-eye X-Pro2 users?

I have been waiting a long time for my first Fuji camera, and during the past months I got pretty excited about the X-Pro2. Soon I am going to graduate, and will have both the money and the time to buy and use the new camera. 

However, from last November my right eye sight started to get worse. The eye doctor said it was probably keratoconus, a structural change of the cornea, and the diagnosis got confirmed some days ago after a proper exam. I have keratoconus on both eyes, and although it is somewhat curable, I expect this issue to take a lot of my time and patience. I'll have another exam in 6 months to see if it get worse, and then we will decide what to do. My left eye works almost prefectly, although it could get worse too (I hope not). 

It is important to notice that this issue is not resolvable through glasses or diopter adjustment. With my right eye I see everything out of focus, near or far, and glasses do not change that, they just alleviate the annoyance and the eye strain.

So, I have always used my right eye to view through the viewfinder as it seemed pretty normal to me. However, it seems to me that the position of the viewfinder in the xpro2 suggest a use of the right eye. Should this prevent me from buying one, and maybe give a chance to the X-T series? Are there any left-eye shooters using a X-Pro series?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

I've always used my left eye... with 35mm film cameras on through DSLR's and then the X-T1. So I am shooting with left eye on the X-Pro2 as well which works fine for me. I'm so used to it. Have been experimenting with the right eye on the X-Pro2. 

I'm left eye dominate. Never caused an issue with any camera, including the XP1 and X100. 

Did you know that left-eye people tend to driver faster and more aggressively that right-eye folks? It's true.

I'm not sure but I'm always getting a telling off to slow down... :D

I'm left eye dominate. Never caused an issue with any camera, including the XP1 and X100. 

Did you know that left-eye people tend to driver faster and more aggressively that right-eye folks? It's true.

I think I am missing something here  :D

Anyway, good to know there are a lot of left-eye shooters not concerned about the rangefinder-styled X-Pro2. I don't know why, but it's always seemed natural to me to put my right eye on the viewfinder, especially if the camera is a rangefinder.

I'm a leftie in glasses, and I feel the most comfortable to shoot with x-pro2.

Got x-t1with bigger VF, but it's in the middle, and all controls are too close.

Scratches and smears on my specs were becoming an increasing problem.

I don't have those problems with x-pro2, and I feel very relieved, so much, that I refuse to shoot x-t1 handheld. Only tripod.

I'm missing a tilt screen, but I can live without it, and will not buy x-t2 :)

Got also x-100t, but I can't find love for this cam as a user. But, I like its looks :) Will go for sale very soon.

You have my sympathy regarding your eye condition. (I have had a detached retina, some retinal tears, and an ongoing retina issue in one eye that is in "watching and waiting" mode, so I can relate, at least a bit.) With that in mind, a few thoughts.

One thing I have learned is that, at least with my particular issues, I sort of adapt to "see through" the problem. The visual system is amazingly adaptive, and even with vision that is not objectively great we can often see things well enough to make excellent photography. The features of my own issues — which can be annoying and interfere with my vision at times — often become less visible and annoying to me when I'm making photographs. I don't know if your issue will play out the same way, but I hope it does.

As to the right/left eye issue and the X-Pro2... if you are really interested in this option, I think you should perhaps just give it a try. You could simply go to a shop and try the camera to see whether you can see well enough and/or adapt to a left eye dominant shooting style. You could also try the X-Pro1 (available very cheaply right now) or one of the X100 models.

Good luck,

Dan

Edited by gdanmitchell

You have my sympathy regarding your eye condition. (I have had a detached retina, some retinal tears, and an ongoing retina issue in one eye that is in "watching and waiting" mode, so I can relate, at least a bit.) With that in mind, a few thoughts.

One thing I have learned is that, at least with my particular issues, I sort of adapt to "see through" the problem. The visual system is amazingly adaptive, and even with vision is not objectively great we can often see things well enough to make excellent photography. The features of my own issues — which can be annoying and interfere with my vision at times — often become less visible and annoying to me when I'm making photographs. I don't know if your issue will play out the same way, but I hope it does.

As to the right/left eye issue and the X-Pro2... if you are really interested in this option, I think you should perhaps just give it a try. You could simply go to a shop and try the camera to see whether you can see well enough and/or adapt to a left eye dominant shooting style. You could also try the X-Pro1 (available very cheaply right now) or one of the X100 models.

Good luck,

Dan

I don't know whether it is going to get worse, or stay as it is. And I also don't know what difference the eventual therapy will make. 

I just know that I need to learn to use the left eye, cause the right one just can't see well. I compensate with my left eye when I use both eyes, but with just the right eye it is pretty hard for me to see in focus.

I will definitely try a xPro soon in order to feel it.

Thanks!

Edited by Filippo

I am a right eye dominate but I choose to shoot with my left eye because I found it is excruciating to shoot with right eye and at the same time keep my left eye closed. When I am shooting with my left eye, the right eye can be blocked by the camera and I can keep two eyes open.

By the way, I think the EVF magnification in Xpro2 is too small and a little bluish. I think the Xt1's EVF is much better. I cannot tell the difference between the xpro2's 85 fps and Xt1's 56 fps.

• 2 weeks later...

I am left-eyed and I prefer cameras with the viewfinder to the left like XPRO and XE2 rather than having it in the middle. With the viewfinder in the middle I tend to poke my right eye when I push the buttons at the back.

Same here, especially as I am a back-button focuser.  Only makes my right eye even less effective after all the poking it receives and increases the reliance on my left eye.

By the way, Canon does have a camera for left-dominant people, the 7D L, as picked up by The Digital Picture:lol:  :D  :P

Canon-7D-L-DSLR-Camera.jpg

Same here, especially as I am a back-button focuser. Only makes my right eye even less effective after all the poking it receives and increases the reliance on my left eye.

By the way, Canon does have a camera for left-dominant people, the 7D L, as picked up by The Digital Picture: :lol::D:P

Canon-7D-L-DSLR-Camera.jpg

As I checked your link I thought to myself, I bet this was posted on April 1st...sure enough... LOL

As for the topic. Left eye = no issue on xpro2

Good Afternoon.

I recently purchased the XPRO1 and have a lesser problem

preferring the left eye for camera work

To use the left eye is little problem, my nose ends up at the screen

however my right eye works well enough with the Optical View Finder

I can also see enough (fuzzy wuzzy) to frame the photo and to see the green frame or cross to indicate focus

still learning the camera but really enjoying it!

I sincerely  hope your vision does not deteriorate

Just as the the camera's computer aids in determining exposure etc. it will aid with the focus etc.

and I wish you many years of photo pleasure

David

I'm a full-time professional photographer who recently suffered macular damage to my dominant (right) eye. While this does not noticeably affect my general vision, when using just the right eye (eg. When using a camera) I find it difficult to check focus, expression etc, particularly if the subject is small. I switched to using my left eye, and after a year it is perfectly natural, I couldn't imagine shooting with the right again.

It could be worse, imagine if you lost sensation in your right hand! There's no left hand cameras!