Having trouble deciding on the 10-24mm f/4 or the 16 mm 1.4 ... please help

enthawizeguy

The 10-24 is an amazing lens. Great for cityscapes cause mostly you want to stop down a bit anyway so the f4 is no issue. Then the OIS is excellent. In lower light, I've managed 1/2 second exposures hand held. I never go somewhere without it.

I am a little surprised that the 14 2.8 hasn't entered in the discussion at all ;-)

I personally use the 14, as size and weight is my primary concern for travel. If you want small and light, it's a spectacular lens.

If you want to shoot portraits at night, then you want the 16. For landscapes and nightscapes I generally want larger DOF, so I don't use f/1.4 pretty much ever, I just use a tripod. I wouldn't choose the least wide lens unless I really wanted the bokeh. But then again even when I had a 24 1.4 Nikon, it's too wide for an attractive portrait so really I used the 35 1.4 (which would be the Fuji 23)

If you don't mind the size and weight than the 10-24 will give you the convenience of the zoom and the benefit of 10mm. Although don't expect a zoom lens to perform as well as a prime in edge to edge sharpness and vignetting at the extreme ends of the zoom. I looked at getting the 10-24, but decided I probably wouldn't be happy with certain optical compromises.

I get around the lack of wide angle of the 14mm by doing panoramic composites.

That being said, I'm now interested in the Rokinon 12mm :)

Cheers

Edited by stevezphoto

I'll put my two cents in, I love my 10-24 very very much but I have the 23 also and I'm looking at getting the 90 to go with my 56 then next the 16. I would first go after the 10-24 since you can work around the fstop. Then I would go to the prime lens. I was going to go all primes but I wanted the superwide lens. I to I'm one that has all the Canon lenses but choose to go back to old school and make my self focus on shooting which to me the primes forced you to think about your shooting this is something I forgot about. Having the prime lenses makes me think about shooting my large format and how much more I worked on making the image.

Mike

X-E2, 10-24, 23 f1.4 & 56 F1.2 and way to much Canon gear over the last 35+ years. Next items on list in order 90, X-T1, 16, 35 f2

I have the 16mm, it's my favourite one.

I have the 12mm samyang, too, it was my second X lens, I don't want to get rid of it since it is useful when I need to go a bit wider and for nightscapes / milky way

never tried the 10.24mm, but I guess it might be the best lens for travel due to its versatility. 

• 2 years later...

I have both.  The 16mm is one of the best lenses I've ever owned (and I have a number of pro Nikon lenses).  That said, it's built like a tank and weighs in like one too, and I often don't carry it because I want to have the 10-24 with me for wide angle and flexibility, and the 16 is then both redundant and heavy.  I'm mostly a landscape photographer though, so f/4 doesn't both me a bit.  If I were shooting architecture, I'd favor the 16mm Fuji and the 12mm Rokinon (which I also own).  But I wish my XT's had IBIS for those. :(  Not sure yet whether I want to own the bigger X-H1.  I'm still hoping for a X-T with IBIS and smaller.  Geesh, the FF Sony's and the Micro-four thirds cameras do it!

• 4 weeks later...

I have the 10-24 and the 16mm...I used to have the 14mm as well.  I like the 10-24 a lot for travel when I know I will want very wide.  It's versatility is invaluable.  When I can zoom with my feet or more for street shooting...I like the 16mm but honestly don't love love love it like most seem to.

PS...I just preordered the 8-16 and I can't wait!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I shoot mainly landscape and my 10 to 24 fills my needs very well. The Samyang 12mm would not fill my needs since it has only one focal length. At this point I would love to have the 16.2 I can not justify this lens since I have the more versatile 10 to 24.