Jump to content

X-H2s AF-C hunting on certain older lenses


Admill
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello! I bought an X-H2s recently and have had AF-C problems with the XF 16-55 f2.8 R LM WR and the XF 56 1.2 R. The 56mm was already noisily hunting with my older X-bodies, but this seems to have drastically increased with the X-H2s. It is as if the autofocus is too active for it, which is something I can understand with this camera which seems to be on steroids, but this shouldn't be happening with the 16-55, right? 

Is anyone else experiencing this? I would be really thankful for any feedback.

Edited by Admill
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Admill said:

Hello! I bought an X-H2s recently and have had AF-C problems with the XF 16-55 f2.8 R LM WR and the XF 56 1.2 R. The 56mm was already noisily hunting with my older X-bodies, but this seems to have drastically increased with the X-H2s. It is as if the autofocus is too active for it, which is something I can understand with this camera which seems to be on steroids, but this shouldn't be happening with the 16-55, right? 

Is anyone else experiencing this? I would be really thankful for any feedback.

Can you test another 16-55 lens with this new body?

When new stuff is released, there usually are some things that go awry. If all of those same lenses have troubles, vs. just isolated instances of problems, then perhaps the overall issue can be addressed. These are, as one person put it after all, specialized computers attached to lenses, so upgrades to the body can cause the attachments to act strangely.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, cpX said:

Fujifilm could provide a firmware update for the digital camera and lenses. But for my X-A1 I didn't get a new firmware update either. Maybe it's time to test another digital camera system...

The X-A1 was announced in 2013, launched in 2014 and discontinued in 2016. How long would you expect updates for a discontinued product?

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, jerryy said:

The X-A1 was announced in 2013, launched in 2014 and discontinued in 2016. How long would you expect updates for a discontinued product?

As long as the digital camera does not work with a new lens. Would be quite a waste of garbage if you can throw away the digital cameras every 3 years because there is no more support. That would not be exactly sustainable and certainly not intended for the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, cpX said:

As long as the digital camera does not work with a new lens. Would be quite a waste of garbage if you can throw away the digital cameras every 3 years because there is no more support. That would not be exactly sustainable and certainly not intended for the future.

You have tangled two different ideas into one, that one having little to do with the problem facing the original poster.

How about moving the rant to a different thread so the original issue can be addressed toward / for the person asking for help.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jerryy said:

Can you test another 16-55 lens with this new body?

When new stuff is released, there usually are some things that go awry. If all of those same lenses have troubles, vs. just isolated instances of problems, then perhaps the overall issue can be addressed. These are, as one person put it after all, specialized computers attached to lenses, so upgrades to the body can cause the attachments to act strangely.

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated. Unfortunately I don't know where I could get another copy of this lens without buying it again.

It is as if the lens focuses a bit in front of the subject sometimes. It is possible that I already had this problem with the X-T4, but that the camera focused much slower and therefore the effect was not as pronounced. I photograph dancers in low lighting conditions, which is hard for the autofocus of any make of camera (even full frame) to handle. The X-T4 is just so quiet and perfect for taking photos during live performances, but now with the fast sensor speed of the X-H2s, complete silent images are possible! It is like you say, this is a computer, but now on steroids.

My 50-140mm, 33mm f/1.4 and 90mm f/2 are all loving this new body. But the 56mm is now feeling like a rusted piece of squeaking machinery. Just wish that someone on here has had a similar experience with the 16-55 (well I don't really wish that upon anybody) and has a solution. Or maybe Fujifilm will release another firmware update soon?

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Admill said:

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated. Unfortunately I don't know where I could get another copy of this lens without buying it again.

Hmm, how do these lens react using AF-S mode?

If they are also grindingly slow in this mode that would be more evidence toward a resolution. If they respond fast enough, you may be able to use them until a better solution happens. That depends on your reflexes as well, being able to click the shutter button quickly to get the shot, or use the old, old method from before good AF came along of pre-focusing on a region, wait for the subject to arrive there, then snapping the shot — the AF would work okay in that short of a distance. Basically, until more is known, using the body’s faster speed in your favor.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jerryy said:

How about moving the rant to a different thread so the original issue can be addressed toward / for the person asking for help.

You asked me a question and I answered you. And rant is something else.

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, jerryy said:

Hmm, how do these lens react using AF-S mode?

If they are also grindingly slow in this mode that would be more evidence toward a resolution. If they respond fast enough, you may be able to use them until a better solution happens. That depends on your reflexes as well, being able to click the shutter button quickly to get the shot, or use the old, old method from before good AF came along of pre-focusing on a region, wait for the subject to arrive there, then snapping the shot — the AF would work okay in that short of a distance. Basically, until more is known, using the body’s faster speed in your favor.

That's a good idea, thanks. I do think that the AF-S works pretty well, will have a test to make sure. At least that could make it possible for me to still use these lenses for now, because they are really showing their age on this new body.

Glad that there is a new 56mm coming out. I just realised that the 16-55 costs about the same as a Fuji prime lens... there has to be some sort of compromise in IQ or autofocus capability to justify this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

21 hours ago, cpX said:

Fujifilm could provide a firmware update for the digital camera and lenses. But for my X-A1 I didn't get a new firmware update either. Maybe it's time to test another digital camera system...

X-A1? Seriously?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...