x-t30ii or x-t4 (moving over from Nikon)

Ntate Pule

Hi all, my name is Andrew, I live in Newcastle Australia, and when I am not taking photos I am an Anglican Priest running a small parish. 

I am moving to Fujifilm from a Nikon D7100 SLR, which has served me well. But I want something more compact, and I love the look of the x-t30ii and the x-t4. My budget is probably more x-t30ii, but I do get the opportunity to shoot wildlife in Kenya every couple of years, and wasn't sure how the x-30ii would handle a bigger zoom lens? 
Most of my other photography is landscape, architecture and some street photography as well. So, what say you - the x-t30ii with a kit lens combo of 18-55mm, 50-230mm and maybe a 27mm prime thrown in, or the x-t4 with the 27mm and 50-230mm only?

thanks in advance, Andy

Edited by Ntate Pule
Wanted to introduce myself properly as well as ask q.

I use a X-T30 with a 150-600mm lens on a every so often occasion without any troubles, but I do make sure to hold / carry it by the lens bracket foot rather than the camera body. So you should be okay either way you chose.

IQ-wise, they are similar, so if it is possible, try to get these side by side so you can hold them and make sure they fit your hands and the dials are easy to reach. The one that 'wins' there will be the one to get -- the idea is the camera you want to use is the best one to take with you. Keep in mind the X-T30ii can also have an L-bracket, etc. put on it if you need to use that for more balance.

p.s. Welcome to the forum.

Edited by jerryy

• 2 weeks later...

I moved over from a pair of aging Nikon D200's to an X-T30-ii. I bought Fujifilm 16/2.8, 23/f2, 33/f2 and 55-200 XF lenses. They all seem at least as good as the Nikkor glass that I had in the past. I also used to shoot Olympus OM-2's and Nikon F4s for film. I bought some manual adapters for the Nikon F-mount lenses and the Zuiko lenses. I don't know if I'll ever need the reach of a 150-600 zoom, but the 100-400 might be on the list. I also bought an 18-80mm but I returned it as it gave constant lens connection errors and was too big and heavy for my mind.

I must admit I was torn between the X-T30-ii, the X-S10 and the X-T4. I thought I would give the X-T30-ii a go and perhaps get a second body of one of the other two if I liked the Fujifilm system. To be honest, in my mind the X-T30-ii is really nice, compact and easy to use, just like my old OM-2's were. So I think the second body is probably going to be another X-T30-ii. It seems to pair really nicely with the compact F2.8 and F2 primes. I rarely have a need for F1.4 or F1.2 so the combination of the small body with these compact primes works well for me. I can lug two X-T30-ii's around and still carry less weight than a Nikon D200 and a wide range zoom.

So, I've been really happy with my choice and the combination of the X-T30-ii with the compact primes produces really nice images. I hope you are as happy with your X-T4 as I am with my choice and I suggest that you give the compact primes a go, they are truly very good lenses for a reasonable price, at least here in the US. The 23/f2 is very, very good, at least my sample. I've not tried the 27mm so I cannot comment on that one.