X-PRO 2 ......a little disappointed but still going with it!

I like my X PRO 2 .... still testing on jobs.. Problem No.1 changing focal length while shooting continuously doesn't work!!!! With optical and digital...you have to release shutter then it allows zooming wider as e.g..I missed action shots, not good.

The auto focus is i guess on par with Canon 5D 3 which is not fantastic in it self.

Using 16-55mm 2.8 is not nice at f2.8 unlike my 24-70 f2.8 mk2 Canon lens.

When using the zoom, i had to go into the camera settings to slightly sharpen to match the canon lens...but remember to reset when using a prime lenses, or it will much to crisp!

Am i missing something here........? 

I think that most photographic lenses are not parfocal. The 5D3 has a slight advantage with the back AF button and "AF Quick" feature.

Overall, the Xpro2 shooting experience is a slight notch "slower" than the 5D3, just a slight notch....

I find that the xf16-55 to be a sharp lens. Perhaps, it is the crop Fujifilm vs. FF 5D3 you are seeing. i.e. sensor difference. .....or you may have a bad copy of the xf16-55, which is rare.

Perhaps you may want to post an example?

Are you missing something? I don’t know. Probably not.

Fuji and Canon are different cameras they suit different people and different shooting styles.

If you feel that dissatisfied and you wonder whether you have missed something... there is a good chance that you are missing something.

Perhaps the classified section?

http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/classifieds/

I am sure someone would be able to put you out of your misery and relieve you from this burden leaving you to your Canon pleasures.

As they say, to each his own. Having been there and done that ( although mostly in the studio) cannot see myself, again, burdened with the weight and size of a Canon in real life.

But maybe you don’t mind that.

As for sharpness, I really don’t miss any in most lenses ( some of which are non Fuji native ones which don’t even have the benefits of software correction). The extremely humble 18-55 is one of the sharpest lenses that I’ve ever used in my whole life.

I am reminded every day of its qualities.

But again, to each his own.

If one system would be the only one capable to fit all the so many needs there wouldn’t be so many camera, so, maybe, indeed, this system might not be for you.

Good luck!

Edited by milandro

but that’s why there is an EVF isn’t it?

Does the same on the EVF........once shutter is in action all zoom capability is locked on set focal length, which is a shame on fast action heading towards you!! No choice to stop shooting and zoom out! And hope you haven't missed anything... will test more!

The auto focus is i guess on par with Canon 5D 3 which is not fantastic in it self.

Using 16-55mm 2.8 is not nice at f2.8 unlike my 24-70 f2.8 mk2 Canon lens.

When using the zoom, i had to go into the camera settings to slightly sharpen to match the canon lens...but remember to reset when using a prime lenses, or it will much to crisp!

Am i missing something here........? 

Having used almost all of the 5D-series bodies extensively (up to the 5DsR), I would not say that the X-Pro2 AF achieves that level of performance. The 5DIII actually has a pretty good AF system. The X-Pro2 is quite good for a mirrorless camera though, especially with certain of the Fujifilm lenses.

If you want ideal sharpening you won't shoot jpgs. (I imagine that you are, given your description of adjusting sharpening on the camera.) Just shoot raw mode and do your sharpening in post. Every camera and every lens (and even different subjects) benefit from different sharpening settings.

Dan 

Having used almost all of the 5D-series bodies extensively (up to the 5DsR), I would not say that the X-Pro2 AF achieves that level of performance. The 5DIII actually has a pretty good AF system. The X-Pro2 is quite good for a mirrorless camera though, especially with certain of the Fujifilm lenses.

If you want ideal sharpening you won't shoot jpgs. (I imagine that you are, given your description of adjusting sharpening on the camera.) Just shoot raw mode and do your sharpening in post. Every camera and every lens (and even different subjects) benefit from different sharpening settings.

Dan 

Hi, Dan

Ive always thought that my 5Dk3 was much slower on tracking than my old 1Dmk3....so I'm still in the testing process with my Fuji x pro 2 and feel its pretty much on par with the 5Dk3  it could be a little better?  But more importantly the lack of re adjusting on zoom length while shooting is a little frustrating.... I always shoot RAW as my clients require it. Its funny i don't want total sharpness, maybe clarity compared to my Canon 24-70 mk2...but changing settings a little in camera has given me this.

All Fujinon X-Mount lenses have a pure mechanical zoom. What exactly prevents you from zooming?

It will zoom, but locks in the viewfinder at the stage you start shooting at, on 8fps ...if you release shutter then the viewfinder will let you see, what you have changed the focal length too.

I really like the camera, for its lightness and silent usage, not usable under Florissant lighting at shutter speeds over 125th or you get banding, due to the scanner action on the sensor. ( Which happens on all mirrorless cameras )  but for a moving subject and changing a focal length i would call this a basic requirement on a camera, not so good!....unless your subject matter doesn't move and you will always be happy at one focal length........then i guess its a camera that suits some people.

For me unfortunately it will be a 50% split for me with my DSLR cameras...  

It will zoom, but locks in the viewfinder at the stage you start shooting at, on 8fps ...if you release shutter then the viewfinder will let you see, what you have changed the focal length too.

I really like the camera, for its lightness and silent usage, not usable under Florissant lighting at shutter speeds over 125th or you get banding, due to the scanner action on the sensor. ( Which happens on all mirrorless cameras )  but for a moving subject and changing a focal length i would call this a basic requirement on a camera, not so good!....unless your subject matter doesn't move and you will always be happy at one focal length........then i guess its a camera that suits some people.

For me unfortunately it will be a 50% split for me with my DSLR cameras...  

For some of us still requiring to shoot fast action shots, we are still shooting different systems.

Waiting for the day I can ditch everything else for one system only.

I'm not sure that the XPro2 is ideal for the kind of photography that involves shooting in high-speed burst mode at the same time as zooming in and out. It's more a 'considered photography' sort of camera than a 'spray and pray' one: you see the picture, you frame it, you capture it. The optical viewfinder in particular makes it most suitable for prime lenses between 18mm and 56mm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@quincy

He can change zoom but the pictures are not sharp.

Thank You! I didn't understand the OP's explanation. I agree with you, AF-C should do the trick. When zooming during a burst with the X-T1 set to AF-C, the 100-400 seems to refocus. But I have to admit, usually, I don't do that.

If you do lots of tracking of fast moving subjects... why invest in a system that is not as good at that? 

As a Fujifilm mirrorless fan (XE1 and XPro2) who relies on these cameras a lot... I have to say that I would not choose a mirrorless system for photography that involves tracking fast-moving subjects. I still prefer my DSLRs for that.

Mirrorless cameras are getting closer all the time, but for optimal AF of moving subjects the best DSLRs still outperform the best mirrorless.

If you do lots of tracking of fast moving subjects... why invest in a system that is not as good at that? 

Well it did mention it could do it....like most other PRO cameras on the market? Didn't have the freedom to test on different jobs and handing back! Its becoming a back up camera in my kit or more a documentary camera only! Im 70% happy with it.

"The simple shot i refer to was a group of people walking fast towards me!!!! I missed the end part as i couldn't zoom wider"

The focusing isn't that bad......its  changing the focal length mid shooting.....i don't shoot one focal length and leave it at that i change and continue shooting at 8 fps i expect to be able to do this even with the optical viewfinder. 

Edited by spinneyhorse