X-Pro1 to X-T1 migration worth it? Lens turbo + MD glass

jesenovec

How good is the EVF in the X-T1 compared to X-Pro1? I currently own an old X-Pro1 and intend to buy the X-Pro2, but i think I'll enjoy the use of a bigger 0.77x EVF better, than the ERF+OVF. I'm using a set of six Minolta MD (W.)Rokkor lenses: 20/2.8, 28/3.5, 35/2.8, 45/2, 50/1.7, 50/1.2. I use them with a Zhongyi Lens Turbo MD - Fuji X ver.II adapter which makes them 1.1x crop and 1 stop faster: 22/2, 30/2.8,  38/2, 50/1.4, 55/1.2, 55/0.9. I now can't use fast apertures at daylight, outside as the max shutter speed of 1/4000 on the X-Pro1 is just not fast enough, and I don't intend to use any nd filters, as I hate to change filters all the time.
​Would all those benefits using the newer technology of the X-T1, talking about focusing aids also, be enough of a benefit to sell my X-Pro1 and forget the rangefinder style shooting? I actually did not get the experience I wanted for manually focusing - white peaking only, bad auto WB.

The MF focus aids on the XT1 are far superior than the XP1, choice of peaking colours and also a split screen thing and zebra patterns

I get better results using adapted (Pentax) legacy glass on my XT than my XP1 too (I find the XT files a bit more contrasty, which helps on the legacy lenses I own... Obv YMMV)

The EVF is far superior as well, not just that it's bigger, but in terms of lag too

The XT1 also has the electronic shutter, which goes up to 1/32000 but you can run into problems with certain lighting (not natural light) and moving subjects

I can't answer if you'll be happy losing the RF style, 'cos that's personal!

The only thing, and it's a bit subjective, but I much prefer AWB on my XP1 than I do on my XT1, but FWIW I tend to use a WB card anyway (when I do this on the XT1 it sometimes adds 1000 kelvin to what the camera has selected.. On the XP1 it's more like a 200 kelvin difference)

In a couple of months there will be an XT2 - maybe a bit cheaper than the 'flagship' X pro 2. It will be good. The choice is down to what kind of photographer you see yourself as. Are you a rangefinder kind of photographer, preferring compact prime lenses within the range between 18mm and 56mm catered for by the OVF, or are you an SLR style shooter, preferring a wider range of lens styles and a bigger evf?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Warwick

there will always be a newer camera and the new X-T2 will cost an arm and a leg while the X-T1 will drop certainly at very low levels once that other one is out.

IF ( because we don’t know the future) the X-T2 is anything like the X-T1 + all the new things of the X Pro 2, in my opinion, the jump to Generation 2 is not worth the money that it would cost.

In other words unless you need the 24Mp ( really?) and the joystick ( very nice!), if you are going to wait,wait for Generation 3 because to date these aren’t fundamental changes! 

As for you original question.

I’ve recently fiddled around with the X pro 2 of a friend and I still by a very long stretch prefer my EVF to the X pro 2 EVF.

If you are an OVF person there is no contest, the X T2 ain’t got one.

If you wear spectacles the very good thin is the dioptric correction combined to the extended eye cup.

IF ( because we don’t know the future) the X-T2 is anything like the X-T1 + all the new things of the X Pro 2, in my opinion, the jump to Generation 2 is not worth the money that it would cost.

In other words unless you need the 24Mp ( really?) and the joystick ( very nice!), if you are going to wait,wait for Generation 3 because to date these aren’t fundamental changes! 

I don't particularly care about the 24mp. I've been happy with 16. 24 does give more cropping freedom.

However, there is more to the X-Pro2 (and presumably the X-T2) that I like over my X-T1

You mentioned the joystick. It's great! Not only is it great but it keeps the function buttons free.

I am loving the Acros simulation. Enough so that I would not give it up.

I haven't tried it, but reviews say the X-Pro2 video is significantly better than the X-T1

The 2 card system where you can write raw to one and jpg to the other is very useful.

I can keep the quick release plate from my tripod on the X-Pro2 and still replace the battery. (no guarantee to be so on the X-T2)

Buttons are distinctly better

Menus are better... and previewing images is better/faster

Camera is faster... turns on faster, is ready for the next shot faster, wakes up faster. X-T1 always felt clunky that way/X-Pro2 doesn't

AF is faster, works better in low light and it tracks better.

Build is better, including the doors which feel a tad flimsy on the X-T1

I've been satisfied with my X-T1 (love the lenses), but the X-Pro2 feels fantastic... if it is a preview of the X-T2, there will be a lot to like over the X-T1

I wouldn’t change my X-T1 for a X Pro 2.

Of course there is no right answer in these things... but I would have said the same thing before using the X-Pro2 for the past week. Now if I had to choose between the two (fortunately I don't have to) I'd take the X-Pro2. I'd miss the articulating screen, but the X-Pro2 feels so solid and agile in the hands.

How good is the EVF in the X-T1 compared to X-Pro1? I currently own an old X-Pro1 and intend to buy the X-Pro2, but i think I'll enjoy the use of a bigger 0.77x EVF better, than the ERF+OVF. I'm using a set of six Minolta MD (W.)Rokkor lenses: 20/2.8, 28/3.5, 35/2.8, 45/2, 50/1.7, 50/1.2. I use them with a Zhongyi Lens Turbo MD - Fuji X ver.II adapter which makes them 1.1x crop and 1 stop faster: 22/2, 30/2.8,  38/2, 50/1.4, 55/1.2, 55/0.9. I now can't use fast apertures at daylight, outside as the max shutter speed of 1/4000 on the X-Pro1 is just not fast enough, and I don't intend to use any nd filters, as I hate to change filters all the time.

​Would all those benefits using the newer technology of the X-T1, talking about focusing aids also, be enough of a benefit to sell my X-Pro1 and forget the rangefinder style shooting? I actually did not get the experience I wanted for manually focusing - white peaking only, bad auto WB.

The xT1 evf is HUGE compared to the xpro1. Real pleasure to view. Xpro1 evf is tiny, jittery and not the best looking.

However, if you intend to use Manual lenses, I'd stick with the xpro1 + good filters for now. Try Lee.

Main xt1 advantage over the xpro1 are AF speed/tracking & weather sealing. One of which you don't need.

If you intend to buy the xpro2 eventually, then forget the xt1. I don't see any real benefits in your case getting the xt1. Picture wise, both the xt1 and xpro1 are about the same. Besides, the xpro2 shutter speed is 1/8000 and there is e-shutter which may help with your 55F0.95 lens.

Edited by Aswald

Like everyone above me, the X-Pro2 is mostly about the OvF, the EvF on it feels small compared to the X-T1.

As for does it make sense ? I don't know, I don't like Range Finder like camera, somehow it doesn't sit well enough in my hand, so if that hasn't been done yet, do try it out in your hand. Ergonomics are more important than technical specs, at least for me.

If I have the best camera in the world but hate how it sits in my hand when using it, I will hate with guts every time I take it out for a shoot.

I still hate the ISO dial on the X-T1 tho... And I am not liking the one on the X-Pro2 any better... but those things are mostly workflow issues. And Fuji camera's Auto ISO works well enough for my needs.

As can be seen from my avatar I wear glasses, and find the X-T1 EVF to be great and I can see all of the screen, also I use the extended eyecup which to my mind appears to make the EVF larger? And of course no cut off when using physically longer lenses!

Can't wait for the X-T2 to be announced, hoping for an even more improvement to the EVF.  :)

I don't like Range Finder like camera, somehow it doesn't sit well enough in my hand, so if that hasn't been done yet, do try it out in your hand. Ergonomics are more important than technical specs, at least for me.

If I have the best camera in the world but hate how it sits in my hand when using it, I will hate with guts every time I take it out for a shoot.

I much prefer the bigger viewfinder of the X-T1.

However, I've had the X-Pro2 for 10 days now and I'm liking its control layout better than the X-T1. I like all the buttons and controls over on the right side. Particularly image review is much faster. The X-Pro2 buttons are mostly more sure to press which adds to the feeling of improved workflow.

I don't love the ISO dial in either, but the X-Pro2 one is better for me than the X-T1. The X-T1 makes me re-orient my hands too often for the left hand controls. The X-Pro2 lets my hands stay in place with right hand thumb and forefinger able to do needed adjustments/tasks.

It's the rangefinder design which encourages all the controls to be on one side and that has been interesting to explore. Now I'd like the X-T2 to have the controls also over on the right side. 

Guys, thanks for all the info on what to get and what not. :) I finally decided to wait and use my X-Pro1 for some time, and wait to get a used X-Pro2 in the near future. :D
​I'm just worried, that I won't get a really good or at least reliable experience manual focusing the camera with the use of OVF with ERF. I not one of those ''just use the EVF'' people, I'm in the search for the ''ultimate rangefinder digital'' with at least some rangefinder aspects and the X-Pro2 seems the obvious choice. If I would go X-T1 I would miss the OVF too much for sure... 

How do you think that people would have been taking photographs if the  X Pro 2 would have never come? Was anyone prior to the introduction to this camera ever prevented from shooting great pictures with the X pro 1?

I am postulating that any camera exceeds the talenst of most photographers and not the other way around.

You will always be the greater limit not the camera.

Don’t think or talk about photographing, do it.

Edited by milandro

• 2 weeks later...

If a larger bright viewfinder is important, then you won't be disappointed by the X-T1. I have both, and love the heft and general feel of the X-Pro 1, but the X-T1 has a superb viewing experience. I find the tilting LCD far more useful than I thought I would.

As can be seen from my avatar I wear glasses, and find the X-T1 EVF to be great and I can see all of the screen, also I use the extended eyecup which to my mind appears to make the EVF larger? And of course no cut off when using physically longer lenses!

Can't wait for the X-T2 to be announced, hoping for an even more improvement to the EVF.  :)

I've tried the eye cup and found it doesn't really work with glasses when in portrait mode.

Is that your experience, as well?