Fuji GFX 20-35mmF4 R WR: compact ultra-wide-angle zoom lens

Leon_B.

At the X Summit Fuji has introduced the FUJINON GF20-35mmF4 R WR (equivalent to 16 to 28mm in FF), a wide-angle zoom lens for the GFX mirrorless system.

The optical construction consists of 14 elements in 10 groups: Three aspherical, one ED aspherical and three ED lenses minimize distortion and chromatic aberration.

The lens weighs 725 grams, it has a length of 112.5 mm and is resistant against splash water as well as dust. It has an internal zoom mechanism, so it retains its compact dimensions even when zoomed in.

The GF20-35mmF4 will be available from the end of September 2022 for  $2,500 / 2,799 euros.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

All data at a glance:

• Focal length 20-35mm (equivalent to 16-28mm in 35mm format)
  • constant f4.0 aperture
  • 14 elements in 10 groups, including 3 aspherical lenses, 1 aspherical ED element and 3 ED elements
  • Dimensions Ø 88.5 mm x 112.5 mm
  • Weight 725 grams
  • Filter diameter 82 mm

The full press release:

Fujifilm Introduces FUJINON GF20-35mmF4 R WR, a Compact and Lightweight, Ultra Wide-Angle Zoom Lens

Valhalla, N.Y., September 8, 2022 – FUJIFILM North America Corporation is pleased to announce the launch of FUJINON GF20-35mmF4 R WR lens (GF20-35mmF4 R WR), a compact and lightweight, ultra wide-angle (UWA) zoom lens for GFX System cameras.

GF20-35mmF4 R WR’s focal length ranges from the UWA at 20mm to the wide-angle at 35mm (equivalent to 16mm – 28mm in the 35mm format). With the UWA coverage, the lens can freeze information-dense subject matters such as a wide landscape or cityscape with precise details in high resolution, powered by the large-format sensor¹ in the GFX System.

“Photographers will be able to expand creative horizons with what is now our widest GF lens, with numerous options to beautifully freeze every detail in landscape, travel and architecture photography. It also has the added convenience of a constant F4 maximum aperture throughout its focal range, which ensures exposure consistency and fast, accurate autofocusing regardless of the focal length,” said Victor Ha, vice president of the Electronic Imaging and Optical Device Divisions, FUJIFILM North America Corporation. “Unlike traditional large-format photography gear which is heavy and bulky, the compact and lightweight design of GF20-35mmF4 R WR enables mobility for photographers on-the-go.”

Main product features:

UWA zoom lens offering premium image quality

The optical construction of GF20-35mmF4 R WR comprises 14 elements in ten groups, including three aspherical, one ED aspherical and three ED elements, for effective control of distortion and chromatic aberration. With these elements, the lens delivers high-resolution images of up to 100-megapixels with edge-to-edge sharpness at all focal lengths and aperture settings. The optical quality is further ensured through Fujifilm’s unique, Nano GI coating technology, which cuts down reflected light to minimize ghosting and flare, boosting sharpness, color and detail.

Compact design that brings mobility to large format equipment

Measuring just 4.4 inches (112.5mm) and weighing 25.6 oz. (725g), GF20-35mmF4 R LM WR has the filter thread size of 82mm despite being an UWA zoom lens, which allows photographers the versatility of choosing a variety of filters when creating landscape images.

In addition, GF20-35mmF4 R WR uses an internal zoom mechanism, so its physical length and weight remain constant at every focal length.

A total of four aspherical elements are used in each of the lens groups to optimize the overall number of elements and their configuration, thus efficiently correcting aberrations to maintain advanced image quality while keeping the compact form factor. The concave lens surface of strong curvature, typically seen in UWA lenses, is applied with a specialized coating with even thickness to minimize ghosting.

As part of the design construction, magnesium alloy is used for components around the lens mount to make it lightweight and robust at the same time.

Rugged design for all conditions

Like all FUJIFILM G Mount lenses, GF20-35mmF4 R WR features a weather-resistant design with 12 sealed points protecting the lens from dust and moisture, while also keeping it functioning in temperatures as low as 14°F (-10°C). The front lens element is applied with fluorine coating to repel water, fingerprints and other marks.

Pricing and Availability

GF20-35mmF4 R WR is expected to be available in early October 2022, at a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $2,499.95 USD and $3,200 CDN.

For more information about GF20-35mmF4 R WR, please visit https://fujifilm-x.com/en- us/products/lenses/gf20-35mmf4-r-wr/.

______

Footnotes:

*1 Fujifilm’s GFX System products incorporate a large-format sensor that measures 55mm diagonally (43.8mm x 32.9mm) and is approximately 1.7 times larger than a 35mm full-frame sensor.

I'm already on the list at B&H.  I've been waiting for this lens for over a year!  I just returned from a 50 day travel and stock trip to Alaska, Yukon and the Arctic Circle (all the way up to Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay) and I would have LOVED to have had this lens for some wider shots.  I used the 30mm for wide and at sometimes I stitched to get the grand view in which is ok with me but it would have been nice.  My most used lens was the 100-200mm though.  I may sell my 30mm if this 20-35 turns out to be a great one.

• 3 weeks later...

We are ALL waiting for the MTF tests of the GF 20-35, to verify if the optical quality is comparable (or better?) to the fixed lenses (in particular the GF 23 and GF 30) !!!

We hope that some independent company will soon examine this lens which, on paper, appears to be very good.

Meanwhile, it is known for sure that deliveries to stores will be delayed due to the shortage of electronic parts and the large number of reservations.

• FX Admin unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...

I have one, and i find bug - with GFX50R work perfect, with GFX100S sometime camera crash on 20mm - is needed put out battery !!! and set all changed camera setting after power on again (i set, power off camera, power on and work, sometime on 20mm crash, on 35-21 never ) - this is camera BUG or camera vs lens - but on GFX50R - no issue

And fuji don't have email where i can report it - it is easy, it is 100% reproducible, is only needed some time zoom from 20 up and back