IQ of Zooms vs Primes

x-tc

So some like primes and some don’t.

lol, who doesn't "like" primes?  You pick the tool that does the intended task best.  If you are after shallow DoF and absolute minimal size on in your format, why would someone not like a prime?  My primes greatly out number the few zooms that I own.  Probably 6 to 1. They are most all for FF cameras that I own.  Canon FD and Nikon FX.   I choose mostly zooms on Fuji because the versatility and size of the zoom lens are quite acceptable compared to my FF camera and IQ is on par with most primes in the focal range intended.   When shallow DoF is the goal, i.e. portrait shoots,  I reach for the primes on the FF Nikon which have the advantage over cropped sensors in terms of DoF at the same aperture.  It just depends on the intended goal,  and other relative options available to me on various camera systems.  Restricting yourself just to zooms or primes based on some kind of dislike for a particular lens type is simply limiting and short sighted on the benefits of each.

...my point was that people like different things and to each his own.

agreed. However, why did you say "dislike of primes" as it relates to this thread ? Please go back and reread post #1.  No one was disliking primes as far as I recall in this thread.  :rolleyes:

I think if you would have flipped your statement around, that would have made more sense to the point you were trying to make and be aligned with the  actually content of the thread; "So some like zooms and some don't".  

I'll still struggling to find why someone would "dislike" primes. You have me curious.  :unsure:

XTC no point in splitting hairs here. Last time I checked almost all the dots were on the i’s   ;)

Some people showed a preference for one or the other.

Some people would prefer zooms for their own reasons such as for example covering with two lenses a wide range of focal lengths and travel light, some others would prefer primes for their ( though marginal at this point and with the sensors that we have) IQ.

despite my wife thinking the contrary, I am not unreasonable  :D

I think your wife has probably made you into a better person. Willing to say things ever so slightly differently to calm her down, even when she is at times being unreasonable herself.  Keeping the peace is a good skill even if it involves slight bending the facts of what was actually said to calm people down to make it appear that you are somewhat on their side. 

Its not the first time I have witnessed your skills at work on this forum with people who shall remain nameless.     :rolleyes:  :D

So you could just do that as well x-tc :)

Had you been reasonable and rephrased to "Looks like almost on par (or in some cases even better) zoom to prime IQ is no longer reserved to Fuji lens." would you have avoided a useless s**tstorm and we could have focused on content and discussion instead of splitting hairs.

It's not the same as "Looks like on par zoom to prime IQ" and that's why I was so reluctant to agree as it feels a bit like being robbed from a bit of truth in the process heh.

I am impressed with your tone. Happy to see it and hopefully it continues my fellow Fuji fan.  I can definitely do that. So, lets start over.

"Looks like comparable IQ to primes (sometimes slightly better, sometimes on par, sometimes slightly worse) is no longer reserved to Fuji zooms, Sigma does the same to Nikon primes on their own turf".  

Is this acceptable ?

now how about that avatar? ;-) If not today, then hopefully soon.  lol.

Is this world famous photograph, by the same artist, better?

I guess not for you heh, but meanwhile he's rich and famous while we're nobodies so can't really argue if it's good or bad taste.

Anyway yes, which formulation you like most, I'm not trying to impose my own wording, glad you got the idea.

he's rich and famous while we're nobodies

I've been debating if I should reply to this or not. I'm not trying to attack you here and I'm not your enemy here. It's sad that you think this way about yourself and others. I think you are being too hard on yourself.

I think a lot of your challenges and confrontation with others stems from this point of view. Try to figure out what made you take this kind of bias. I think you probably know. Whatever it is, It's not healthy and I'm sorry you have experienced things that have gotten you to this point.

Everyone is somebody. Life is what you make of it. Keep focusing on improving yourself and stop being so critical of yourself and others. The only person that can ultimately decide your success is you. If you think it's fame and fortune, or being a better photographer, you may be disappointed. It's not. It's confidence, control over your actions and being pleased with who you are and the positive impact you have made to the people you love before you die. If you can't love yourself you are not ready to love others.

I think I see a spark of hope in you based on your recent tone. Put away the mask. It's ok to be nice and stop hanging out with negative people. Not everyone is here to put you down or attack you. This type of thoughts will just guide you to the person you really don't want to be. At least not the person I think you want to be. Hope I'm not wrong about you.

Mate, way too much "analysis" or may I say "bar counter psychology".

My point is you criticised my previous avatar for being offensive, mocking someone who can't handle a camera properly. As everybody understand, an avatar depicts one self so it's only self derision as I consider myself a complete noob (albeit with an eye and a rapidly growing photography culture, see I'm not that hard on myself). Also loved how the camera strap turned into an infinity symbol, I love symbols. Many ways to interpret a picture.

You didn't even know that picture was from a world famous photographer, yet you found it a shame, so heh I suggest you spend less time thinking about gear and more time in photography books.

Being cynical / corrosive / ironic does not necessarily mean one is unhappy with himself and hard on himself and the others. It can just be the mark of self derision and having found oneself (which usually means accepting you can't please everyone). Not everybody gets it and certainly not carebears, always has been always will.

Anyway both our replies are way off-topic so I suggest if you want to respond, to do so per PM, it's not a battle arena but a public forum, and I will happily discuss with you in private about my supposed unhappiness.

confidence and control ...  confidence and control. 

Some new work is starting to come in so I'll probably be posting a lot less going forward for a while. good luck and stay out of trouble.

milandro, 

you are on watch. keep up the good work. You are a saint. ;-)

I use primes most of the time because I actually prefer them to zooms.  I like "knowing" three or four focal lengths/lenses really really well and getting the most out of them in any situation.  In my case, in FF terms, that's 21mm, 35mm, 50mm, and 100mm.  I shoot most of my work at these fixed focal lengths and their approximate equivalents in different formats.  

I have zooms for when the situation calls for them.  They are very useful for fast paced shooting.  If they're being made with IQ that rivals or exceeds that of some primes that's great!

I don’t know whether I am a saint  :blink:... I’d rather suspect that I’m not... in time I too will deliver my sarcasm and the occasional spewing on vinegar,  reveal my likes and dislikes. The only important thing is to do it thinking that none of this is very important for anyone else out there.

In other words I will try to remember to keep this real and have a large bag at hand containing pinches of salt ( which are best kept for their wisdom content and not being rubbed in someone else’s wounds!) and remember that there are real problems out there worth be angry about  but I am afraid the merits of lenses and cameras ain’t in that league!

-_- ...

I own two zoom lenses ( 10-24mm & 50-230mm)  and 3 fixed focal length lenses ( 8mm fisheye, 35mm and 60mm macro) 

Both zooms were bought because I wanted at least two lenses in that focal range  and those lenses were either not available or having 7 lenses in my bag would have been way more complicated ( let alone expensive!) to administrate than having 5 ( which for me already requires a large bag because of my dislike of layering lenses in compartments on on top of another).

I suppose we all have different reasons to do what we do and no one has to justify his or her choices in front of the Fuji grand jury  ;) for the great majority of us this is fun and games and even if it is someone’s livelihood all you ever have to do if you noticed that you have bought the wrong lens for your wants or needs is to go out and buy another one. No capital problem, as I see it.

My largest kit of 35mm analog cameras and lenses contained no zooms whatsoever ( and a few lenses that I hardly ever used!). I had 15, 24, 35, 50, 85, 200, 300 ( the last two were really underused) and two bodies. 

• 2 weeks later...

lol, who doesn't "like" primes?  

I "like" primes but often find them impractical for all around photography.

Quick understanding of what I shoot, mostly scenic, a bit of street and a lot of family time in our daily life. I currently own the 27mm, 35mm as prime and the "much disliked" 18-135mm.

I used to be a prime shooter when I was still using the Nikon D5000 and I still have some left over lenses from that time.

Usually when I go out in street, I would take either prime with me or even both if I can manage them but the lens that always stays on my X-T1 is the 18-135 because I can do pretty much everything with it, will it fit into any kind of contest, certainly not but if I have to leave anywhere I have never been and could take only a limited amount of gear with me, the 18-135 fits the bill.

In pretty much any situation I will always be able to bring something back with me with that zoom lense.

Do I prefer the primes' IQ ? Certainly. Would I take them out with family to the Zoo ? Not at all, I prefer the zoom in pretty much all situation.

I've been walking yesterday to a point de vue where I had not been since a long time.

Last time it was pretty much the same conditions and I only had the 18-55. I took home so-so pictures of the landscape. Wasn't really pleased how the very far details and foliage rendered, couldn't say exactly what it was but wasn't really good, tweaked sharpening in LR for a long time before giving up.

Yesterday, was there again with the 35. The opposite happened. Doesn't matter what sharpening I use the far away areas and foliages look amazing.

This is not something that you can see in brick wall shots reviews.

A zoom is practical. A good prime is magical. Pick your choice...