X-pro 2 lenses

Hi, I'm new here and I'm looking for lenses for for the x-Pro 2, that I havn't bought yet.

I'll use it for travel, landscape, street, so witch lenses would be good for me.

I have been thinking of:

1: samyang 12mm f/2

2: fuji xf 14mm f/2.8

3: fuji xf 55-200mm f/3.5-4.8

4: fuji xf 35mm f/2 kit lense

5: fuji xf 10-24mm f/4

My budget is US$ 4.000 including the x-pro 2.

And everything has to be bought in Europe.

PS. How is the viewfinder for people wearing glass?

Jan.

.... Which equals about 3,500 €.

So with the the x-pro2 taking away 1,800 € this will leave you with 1,700 € for the lenses. My strategy would be:

-take a used 27mm lens - it is a nobrainer for 200-250,- € and the most compact lens you can get. It is excellent for street and landscape.

-take an 8mm Samyang / Rokinon / Walimex f2.8. It is sharp as anything, wider than anything, and there is an LR profile in between. (300,- €)

-so we have left around 1,200,- €

-take a 16-50mm f2,8 - make sure it is a good copy and you have a return policy. Ups, only 300 left.

-steal another 200 from your wife and get the 55-200mm

Edited by uckdie

Hi - I know they're not on your list, but I'm really happy with the 23 f/1.4 and 56 f/1.2 on the X-Pro2. I also love the 35 f/2 because of its compact size and image quality. I'm not a zoom guy, so I can't comment on the zoom lenses on your list.

Steve

Hi Steve,

It doesn't matter if it's not on my list, but does your lenses cover my demands?

Maby I need a extra € 1.000 to get to my demands.

Jan.

.... Which equals about 3,500 €.

So with the the x-pro2 taking away 1,800 € this will leave you with 1,700 € for the lenses. My strategy would be:

-take a used 27mm lens - it is a nobrainer for 200-250,- € and the most compact lens you can get. It is excellent for street and landscape.

-take an 8mm Samyang / Rokinon / Walimex f2.8. It is sharp as anything, wider than anything, and there is an LR profile in between. (300,- €)

-so we have left around 1,200,- €

-take a 16-50mm f2,8 - make sure it is a good copy and you have a return policy. Ups, only 300 left.

-steal another 200 from your wife and get the 55-200mm

Hi,

Mabye I need a extra € 1.000 to get to my demands, but I don't like the fisheye.

What problems are there with the 16-50mm?

Jan.

Hi,

Mabye I need a extra € 1.000 to get to my demands, but I don't like the fisheye.

What problems are there with the 16-50mm?

Jan.

Ok, no fisheye. So take the Zeiss Touit 12mm, or the Fuji 14mm, or the 16mm - they are all excellent. I have settled for the Zeiss and the 16mm, but the 14mm is an excellent lens in between. Take this lens, if you are shooting architecture. But try the sometimes loose focus ring of the 14mm before you buy. I have never had the Samyang 12mm. I'm not a fan of the 10-24mm. Try the later for a day or two, to see of it works for you.

Some users seem to have an issue with CA on the 16-55mm f2.8. Mine is excellent, though.

The problem with Fuji nowadays is, that you have too many excellent lenses to choose from. My current line-up is 8mm Samyang, 12mm Touit, 16mm, 23mm, 27mm, 56mm, 90mm, 16-55mm, 55-200mm, 100-400mm. Too many lenses by far. I have owned the 14mm, 18-55mm, 32mm Touit, 35mm f1.4, 50-140mm, 10-24mm. I am thinking of selling the excellent 55-200mm (overlap with other lenses) and a prime (16, or 23, or 56) or the 16-55mm, but I'll keep them as long as I am undecided.

See some pics at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/votec/

For further imformation on Fuji lenses see: http://www.photozone.de/fuji_x

And http://www.prophotonut.com/2015/04/30/zoom-or-prime-lenses-for-portraits-with-fuji-x/

Dieter

Edited by uckdie

Ty, Dieter, that's a hole lot of lenses you have and you have made quite a lot of beautifully pictures.

Maybe I can get some hints of witch lenses I should buy, buy scanning the scenes, I'm going for,in your pictures, but it will take some time, I think.

Jan.

I think it is hard to not put the 16/1.4 on the short list first. It is fairly wide (good for WA landscapes and interior travel stuff), fast (good for interiors and nighttime street/travel), focuses very close (good for flower/nature closeups in a pinch) and weather resistant.

Next I would consider either the 35/2 (inexpensive, fairly fast, very small, fast to focus) or the 18-55 (good price, OIS)

The 60 is not many people's favorite lens, but the IQ is great and it does 1:2 macro. You can get some moderately small DOF too. It is a bit short as your only tele lens though so ...

the 55-200 is a great lens at a great price. You will want something longer than 55 or 60 for landscapes (it's not always UWA).

Not sure about Euro prices or what might be available used there. The 23/1.4 is a more classic street lens, but it is also expensive and the 16/1.4 covers more bases. It is also Fuji's best or second best lens optically depending on who you talk to.

Hi, I'm new here and I'm looking for lenses for for the x-Pro 2, that I havn't bought yet.

I'll use it for travel, landscape, street, so witch lenses would be good for me.

I have been thinking of:

Jan.

10-24, 12 and 14... sounds a bit dense.

Travel, landscape, street... hmm... I would try to go for:

10-24 f/4 or 16 1.4 (depending on your needs. I found the 10-24 to be an excellent travel lens)

35 f/2 WR

60 macro or 55-200 (you either want the macro for details or you go for focal lengths with the zoom)

My feeling is that if you want big lenses you should wait for the SLR-style XT2, which will be released soon. A large part of the cost of the rangefinder-style X Pro 2 is for the optical viewfinder, which goes better with more compact lenses in the normal range of focal lengths. The framing lines on the OVF go from 18mm (an excellent little lens for street and reportage) to 56 (a superb telephoto), if I remember rightly. So if you're planning to use 200mm lenses and the like, it would be better to spend your money on a body designed to take them, with a large electronic viewfinder like you find on the XT cameras.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Warwick

I have been thinking of:

Jan.

Pretty much parallel requirements, plus a lot of people photography indoors. I shoot zooms with dSLR equipment but decided to keep the X-Pro1 much like the rangefinder cameras I shot with film. All primes. Fuji nailed the initial three lenses as the classic photojournalist's kit—18mm, 35mm and 60mm. These were and still are, my basic kit. I loved my 21mm SuperAngulon, so the 14mm was my next addition. Gorgeous lens. All will work well on an X-Pro2. 

I do have other cameras when zooms or long lenses are needed. I feel no need for anything beyond the 60mm which I greatly appreciate. Outside the basic kit, I sprung for the Samyang/Bower/Rokinon 8mm fisheye and am very glad I did. I avoid the fisheye clichés of bending buildings, and instead use it as a super wide or panorama lens, keeping the camera level as possible. People who buy it for the fisheye look quickly find it boring. Used as a super wide, it finds constant use.