35mm F2 — WR or not?

mattdm

A rumor  a few months ago suggested that the new 35mm F2 lens will be weather resistant. This seems exciting to me, and one of my primary reasons for interest in the X-T1 — WR body with decently-fast normal prime? Yes please!

But, on the roadmap, there's no WR indication. But... the 16mm and 90mm lenses also on that roadmap DID turn out to be WR. So, is there hope?

• 4 weeks later...

Don't worry, the earliest picture already showed WR written on it, there is absolutely no reason they would backpedal.

fuji6.jpg

This definitely will be a must have lens for every xshooter! A weather resistant 50mm equivalent is what I was waiting for. I also like the new design and I hope it's the first of many new "smaller" lenses. I only wish it had the push/pull focusring with distance markings. Seeing the foto isn't the final design I'm still hoping....

If i'm not completely wrong, Fuji has not yet confirmed about specs as WR or not WR.

(Probably the even said, that they have not yet decided?)

My guess is: The XF35/2 will be weather sealed, if the X-Pro2 is too. That simple. :-)

I saw a video with billy from the fujiguys and stated that the lens isn't officially announced. But imo it would be a dumb move to leave out WR. I'd rather prefer my 35mmf1.4. Af speed is adequate for me and the 1.4 is already quite small. I would buy the 35mm f2 for its WR as an ultimate carry around lens for when the conditions are a bit rough.

• 4 weeks later...

the one thing i wish Fuji had done differently with the design in that pic is give the lens hyperfocal marks. i've always wanted them to produce a line of a few lenses just for street photography - small and not necessarily fast primes but with hyperfocal marks right on the lens.

(Sent from another Galaxy)

Plus it would be super weird from Fuji to release a 35mm F2 without the WR, why would anyone go for the F2, expect maybe for size, when the 35mm F1.4 is commonly agreed to be a great performer and isn't that big to begin with.

I'd expect WR. We haven't seen any new non-WR lenses arrive since the first WR ones shipped. The last all-new non-WR lenses were the 10-24 and the 56 and since then we've seen new 3 zooms and 2 new primes, all WR, and three variants of older non-WR lenses (the 56 APD and the XC zoom updates) which stayed non-WR.