Will Fujifilm Make The Same Mistake?

Aswald

well, we shall see.

The evidence of the growth is size, to me and others, is there.

If you don’t see it or don’t want to see it, that is fine by me. The intent of a discussion is not to change other people minds but to exchange ideas, we’ve exchanged ours and, predictably, remained of our own opinion.

I don’t want to escalate to bickering. I think our respective points have been made.

Yes, in the end, talking about where it may be going is speculation and there is no point to bicker about it...  :)

That is the thing I do not like about the X-T2... I love the dials on the X-T1 as they are. I have thin nimble fingers so I suppose some people might find them too small, but they are perfect for me.

Otherwise I am very happy with 2 cards and more robust doors which adds a few grams of weight. I imagine the more flexible screen articulation also adds a few grams. 

My X-Pro2 feels a bit more solid and well built than the X-T1... If the X-T2 feels like the X-Pro2, that is worthwhile to me. 

Despite how the dials stick out, I think the X-T2 is a great camera. If it wasn't for the fact that I don't do video much and don't chase F1 cars down the fast track, I would've jumped on the pre-order wagon.

It's just a great feeling to have great "power" when I need it. I've tried the battery grip. It's a bit bigger than what I like but a good fit in my hands. The portrait orientation swivel lcd screen is a brilliant touch. The X-T2 will be a highly sought after camera. ;)

Despite how the dials stick out, I think the X-T2 is a great camera. If it wasn't for the fact that I don't do video much and don't chase F1 cars down the fast track, I would've jumped on the pre-order wagon.

It's just a great feeling to have great "power" when I need it. I've tried the battery grip. It's a bit bigger than what I like but a good fit in my hands. The portrait orientation swivel lcd screen is a brilliant touch. The X-T2 will be a highly sought after camera. ;)

I'm looking forward to trying it. 

I actually do shoot video, but I never really expected Fuji to put much effort into it so I preferred a focus on the still camera side. So the improved video capability certainly interests me. It might be enough that I do not need a separate camcorder which would be sweet. And they managed to add those improvements without making the camera (sans grip) much bigger. 

The camera looks great but I find the grip plain ugly. At the left side it’s sticking out and at the right side where your fingers are positioned there is that gap between the grip and camera. It’s by no means integrated into the camera design such as with the X-T1.

I have to remind myself that a camera is a ‘tool’ and not an object to look at. I’m sure at ‘tool’ level it will satisfy my needs. Nevertheless, if I was head of product development at Fuji I would have re-done the design of the grip.

The camera looks great but I find the grip plain ugly. At the left side it’s sticking out and at the right side where your fingers are positioned there is that gap between the grip and camera. It’s by no means integrated into the camera design such as with the X-T1.

I have to remind myself that a camera is a ‘tool’ and not an object to look at. I’m sure at ‘tool’ level it will satisfy my needs. Nevertheless, if I was head of product development at Fuji I would have re-done the design of the grip.

It doesn't bother me as much but yes, it does look like some forgot about the battery door until after. :lol: .....and it's a little big.

I'm looking forward to trying it. 

I actually do shoot video, but I never really expected Fuji to put much effort into it so I preferred a focus on the still camera side. So the improved video capability certainly interests me. It might be enough that I do not need a separate camcorder which would be sweet. And they managed to add those improvements without making the camera (sans grip) much bigger. 

From what I see and know about the X-T2, I think you will like it. I love it too and to be honest, I nearly.....hit the button.

Do share when you do get it. I'd be thrilled to see what it can do. ;)

Aswald, I have no doubt that it will and that as you say, most buyers will buy it with the grip, hence the fitting of the X-T2 into your thread.

Milandro, if you misbehave, I'd have to put you in the time out corner......hahaha....just kidding. :D I like your sense of humour.

cheers, much obliged.

In another thread a member just wrote that he bought the X-T2 with the grip because the price of the two was Sooooo enticing that he couldn’t resist, even though he admitted not having a particular reason to do so.

So, I am convinced, that almost anyone will buy the camera with the grip and as I wrote, they are now the proud owners the largest small camera in the world. QED.

Edited by milandro

I am out shooting events all the time and so I see lots of quality cameras many of which have accessory battery grips that can be purchased. A large majority do not have the grip. 

Right now, with the X-T2 brand new, a few more people may buy the grip who do not need it, but they will quickly leave it home or even sell it and after the initial buzz, not nearly so many people will buy it. It is costly, relatively heavy to carry and not much use for many people. That will win out.

Then they will go back to having one of the best small cameras in the world  :P

Yup. Indeed.

I made my mistake with dslr battery grips. I thought I needed it but when I did need to use it, I was defeated by the sheer added weight.

Fortunately for some, the battery grip for X-T2 comes in a little lighter.

If Nikon had a solid set of APS-C lenses, I may never have switched to Fuji. The Fuji lens lineup is unmatched in APS-C. The lenses were the primary motivation... then liking the aperture ring on (most) lenses and the old fashioned dials on the X-T1. Small and compact when desired is also of value. But it was the excellent lenses that decided it.

Wow, this topic has certainly heated up.

From my point of view, it all boils down to trades between portability and usability; i.e., what is too small to handle and what is inconveniently large. That is what will drive market segments for cameras. Sensor size determines lens size/weight while people's hands drive body size and the size of controls. Achieving the "Goldilocks" design for each group of photographers is the manufacturers' goal. APS-C lenses are good enough for me without being too large and the mirrorless body is about the right size. Imagine an X-TSomething body size with a 1" sensor and a high quality 10-100 zoom and please keep in mind that body size and sensor size are really independent variables.

I will not buy the grip until I get serious about video on the camera and, even when I do purchase it, I will only equip it for taking video but that is just my personal preference.