x100t with TCL can't keep up with my kids - will x-t1 35m 2.0 improve on that?

Hi,

I have an x100t with the TCL-x100, and the combo is (really!) great for still shots, however trying to keep up with my kids is another story.

Set to zone focus, high performance ON, face detection OFF and Focus priority, it feels like the camera is almost there, but just not fast enough, so I miss a lot of shots.

So, I know I am in the x-t1 forum, should I be able to get better results with an x-t1 and 35mm 2.0 WR combo? Are the 4.0 firmware improvements, as well as the new lens just the thing that leaves the x100t in the dust?

Even before the FW 4.0 the X100T felt a bit sluggish next of the X-T1, after the new FW, the differences in AF speed gets very apparent.

I have 2 sons, one is about 2 weeks old, the other is 6 years old. So far, even the 35 F1.4 is just fast enough to keep track with both, if I miss a shot it is mostly because of my own mistake. The 35mm F2 version is faster, not THAT much faster, we are speaking of a couple of 1/10th of a sec faster tops but every now and then, it makes a difference.

I have an x100t with the TCL-x100, and the combo is (really!) great for still shots, however trying to keep up with my kids is another story.

et to zone focus, high performance ON, face detection OFF and Focus priority, it feels like the camera is almost there, but just not fast enough, so I miss a lot of shots.

S

Hi!

Could you give exifs of some of your missed shots?

Thanks. I am a bit surpirised that you don't consider the 2.0 that much faster than the 1.4. I thought the difference was much more pronounced.

It really depends on the situation, on a low contrast subject the F2 will be much faster and accurate while the older F1.4 will hunt a lot more.

But on good conditions, both lenses aren't that far appart from each other. I would say that F2 hunts for focus a lot less often but it has a slight tendency in my hand to back focus more often for some reasons, I just need to re-frame and it works just as good and not really loosing much time.

I've used both 1.4 and 2 and I think 2 is at least 30% faster if I had to put a number on it.

I wound up selling the 1.4 and keeping the f2.

As far as the back focusing is concerned, I think it's more of a general Fuji thing than the lens.

My X100S does it frequently, my XT1 occasionally.

Even when you have your subject in the focus point, the background scene sometimes gets focused on. This happens in AF only.

It doesn't happen too often to me since I know to check before pressing the shutter, but if I give to someone else to take a picture of me, I'm out of focus half the time.

Back focusing? I thought that was "impossible" with mirrorless cameras.

It is rather uncommon but it also depends on how you setup your AF, zone, single point, the size of the single point too. That's a lot of different parameters that could cause the camera to get distracted and focus on the background instead of the subject in front. 

The only difference with mirrorless, you can see immediately that you are out of focus in the EvF or LCD, while on DSLR, it's not always the case.

Back focusing? I thought that was "impossible" with mirrorless cameras.

I was surprised too but David Busch writes in his book "Mastering mirrorless interchangeable lens": Several mirrorless cameras have a AF microadjustment.

Which I didn't know.

But before thinking of an Af issue with a lens, it's better checking if all of the AF technics are mastered. For example choosing the best AF frame size depending on the situation.

• 3 weeks later...