X-Pro2 "turn camera off and back on" error with FM 1.01

I experienced this error today with version 1.0. Tonight I did the update.

Background: had a studio shoot today with two models that totaled approximately 45 minutes. Lens was 35mm f2. Fast cards. Saved RAW and jpeg to same card (changed that tonight to save to separate cards). The total image count was 1080, so that should have been 540 shutter activations. It was set for single shots. Pre focus off. Face detection on

The error message first appeared after about 30 minutes, then happened twice more before the end of the session. Used a Paul C. Buff trigger for an Alienbee (worked great). Noticed that when the first error message appeared the camera was definitely warm on the bottom plate. Camera remained warm for the remainder of the time.

The was no problem restarting the camera, but the shooting flow was certainly interrupted.

Camera s/n 61A0xxx It was delivered the day of release in the USA.

This shoot was an unexpected opportunity. I'm in the process of moving and my Nikon gear is in storage. Had it been a pre-planned session, I would have used the D750. The Fuji was intended for the trip and in that setting it performed as expected.

Edited by Tomvani

The error message first appeared after about 30 minutes, then happened twice more before the end of the session. Used a Paul C. Buff trigger for an Alienbee (worked great). Noticed that when the first error message appeared the camera was definitely warm on the bottom plate. Camera remained warm for the remainder of the time.

That's interesting... Could it really be that the error message appears when the camera gets warm beyond a determined threshold set by Fuji? As reported in a previous post, I did not experience this issue (yet?) but I've never been shooting for long sessions that would cause my X-Pro2 to get noticeably warm... It would be interesting to better understand the scenario for all the other users who got into this problem of the "Turn On/Off" message.

Got my xpro2 almost in the first wave in Australia. Had this issue 30-40 times. Some time, it appeared about every 6 shots. Got my replaced by the camera shop about 1 week later. Now is on the second body, had seen this same issue happened once so far. Didn't make another replace/repair yet. This indeed is really annoying and a bad issue if Fuji wouldn't recognize it. 

This happened to me for the first time shooting this past weekend.  I was using a EF-X20 flash and the 23mm 1.4 lens.  I had to turn the camera off / on several times and even had to remove the battery once.  I've had the camera since release in March and had not encountered the problem before.  This was the first time I had used a flash on the camera and also the first time I had used a shutter speed setting other than AUTO (it was set to 250x).  I don't know if either the flash or shutter setting had anything to do with why the problem arose this time. 

• 2 weeks later...

This happened to me today for the first time.  I have had my x-pro 2 since the release date and shot at least 2000 images before today.  I was using the 100-400mm lens at the time.  I think I will be calling my camera shop about this after reading all these posts.

Okay guys, I noticed that I stopped getting the error once I stopped using "EVF + Eye Sensor" and switched to just the EVF. Hope that helps some of you.

This is really strange, thank you for sharing it. Can someone check this workaround, since my camera is still in service center, waiting for replacement. I might use it for the new one, since with Pro2 it is always like with Kinder - Surprise. :D

Edited by mralien

This is really strange, thank you for sharing it. Can someone check this workaround, since my camera is still in service center, waiting for replacement. I might use it for the new one, since with Pro2 it is always like with Kinder - Surprise. :D

I've said this before but I only use OVF and it's happened on both of my X-Pro2's.

Signed up just so i can give you guys an update. 

Fuji Singapore returned me my Xpro 2 stating that they were unable to resolve the issue as it was firmware based - i have the on/off error coupled with black frame (only fella in my country it seems - bloody luck of the draw) [ At least they are confident that the issue is software and not hardware based - which seems reasonable seeing how some people have had the issue recur even with replacement sets). 

Initially i had heat issues as well but that seems to be resolved by my local Fuji Technician. 

Fuji Singapore also has information that a firmware update for this issue is due very, very soon - possibly by end April.

*fingers crossed then*

Fuji Singapore returned me my Xpro 2 stating that they were unable to resolve the issue as it was firmware based - i have the on/off error coupled with black frame (only fella in my country it seems - bloody luck of the draw) [ At least they are confident that the issue is software and not hardware based - which seems reasonable seeing how some people have had the issue recur even with replacement sets).

Initially i had heat issues as well but that seems to be resolved by my local Fuji Technician.

Fuji Singapore also has information that a firmware update for this issue is due very, very soon - possibly by end April.

*fingers crossed then*

If this is a software-based problem than that's great news! First time I've heard it isn't a hardware problem.

If this is a software-based problem than that's great news! First time I've heard it isn't a hardware problem.

I was rather focused on getting a replacement set, but with reports of users getting replacement sets with the same issue, i would probably wait a couple of days for the firmware update and see how it goes from there. 

I haven't had the issue pop up too many times (less than 10 times in about a 1000 shots) but it's still irritating. 

Update from me too, since 30 day period in service centre was due, I got a new replacement camera yesterday. Didn't had a chance to explore it, but at least for now it is ok. No feedback was provided on my original xPro2 - nothing!. The new camera has firmware 1.01 on it, so hopefully it is not from "the batch". I really doubt it is a software issue, however let's wait and see. In any case, it is a great camera and I missed it during the month.

UPDATE: Had a shoot today, the issue was not observed at  all. 

Edited by mralien

• 2 weeks later...

I too had this issue after I picked up my X-Pro2 on the 24th of April. The camera was ordered in for me by the store from Fujifilm Australia, so it was a brand new unit, and was already running version 1.01. The problem seemed to disappear though after I upgraded my memory card. At first I was using the card I already owned, a 32GB 80mb/s Sandisk Extreme SDHC card in slot one. But after I "upgraded" to two 32GB Sandisk Extreme 95mb/s cards (I know, not much of an upgrade), the issue magically disappeared. Admittedly I was also fiddling with the settings of the camera a fair bit - I do recall changing the power mode from Standard to High Performance when I first got the camera (before I noticed the issue), then changing it back to Standard again at some point after noticing the issue. Haven't had a problem since for about two weeks now. 

Hi, i had this issue last week end. The camera did get stuck 3 times in a row. After i reformatted the cards (2 Sandisk HC1 16GB) at first i just tokk the cards out and put them back in and that resolved the problem.To be sure i imported the images en reformatted the cards in the camera. The problem was gone. I have the camera since the end of march.

Fuji Singapore returned me my Xpro 2 stating that they were unable to resolve the issue as it was firmware based - i have the on/off error coupled with black frame (only fella in my country it seems - bloody luck of the draw) [ At least they are confident that the issue is software and not hardware based - which seems reasonable seeing how some people have had the issue recur even with replacement sets). 

*fingers crossed then*

Over at the DPReview forums there is a gentleman that indicates the issue appears to be hardware and the US center has fixed them (link).  Not sure what to believe, but I no longer have my money invested in the camera, but I am interested in the outcome as I had three X-Pro2's with the black frames, off/on error, and WiFi issues.

• 2 weeks later...