X-Pro2 "turn camera off and back on" error with FM 1.01

Hi everyone. I am having the same annoying issue with the Fuji X-Pro2, using the 35mm 1.4 lens. I have had four photoshootings with it so far and it is a pain in the ass when you get interrupted that way. This issue occurred reliably all the four times I used the camera, I was always shooting without a flash. My SD Card is a Lexar Professional 633x, 32GB, 95MB/s. I have a feeling it only happens when I am using the electronic viewfinder (which I used most of the time). With the optical I did not yet experience it, as far as I remember. For that reason I think it is rather a software issue. Hopefully...

I called the german support and the lady on the phone said she did not yet hear of this problem and that I should send it in. Definitely not what I wanted to hear... I will double check shooting with the optical viewfinder and I will also try the kit lens that came with my good old x-e1 instead of the 35mm lens.

My Serial number is 61U05XXX

Edited by kool

I'll be interested to know if you get the problem with OVF too, kool. When I was shooting on Saturday with my first x pro 2 I was using a combo of the EVF and OVF and it happened for both of them, but one of the most interesting things about this problem is that it seems to have a mind of it's own.

Mine is also a 61A0. Good to hear your camera works perfectly!

Mine to is a 61A0 and I have not had that problem, thankfully.  I can't imagine the stress that must be for the wedding guys, right in the middle of the wedding.  I hope this gets worked out.

Anyone still getting the "turn camera off and back on" error on the X-Pro2 with firmware 1.01? Settings do NOT reset but camera freezes up and you have to turn it off and back on to get it functioning again. This has happened with both the 35mm F2 and the 18mm F2. 

I haven't done the latest firmware update, but I can say I've noticed the power not immediately turning back on once I've just turned off the camera.  I only notice this when I try to quickly turn off and on the camera immediately.  When done too fast, It doesn't turn on.. so, i have to turn the switch off then on again and it turns back on.

I have to try again, but I think if you wait a little after having just turned off the camera, it will turn on immediately when you turn the switch to on.

I don't think it makes a difference what lens is on there, although I also have the 35mm f2 & 18mm f2... and a 56mm f1.2.

BTW, I don't get any error message, it just doesn't turn on.

Edited by Wing0949

Hi everyone. I am having the same annoying issue with the Fuji X-Pro2, using the 35mm 1.4 lens. I have had four photoshootings with it so far and it is a pain in the ass when you get interrupted that way. This issue occurred reliably all the four times I used the camera, I was always shooting without a flash. My SD Card is a Lexar Professional 633x, 32GB, 95MB/s. I have a feeling it only happens when I am using the electronic viewfinder (which I used most of the time). With the optical I did not yet experience it, as far as I remember. For that reason I think it is rather a software issue. Hopefully...

I called the german support and the lady on the phone said she did not yet hear of this problem and that I should send it in. Definitely not what I wanted to hear... I will double check shooting with the optical viewfinder and I will also try the kit lens that came with my good old x-e1 instead of the 35mm lens.

My Serial number is 61U05XXX

I'll be interested to know if you get the problem with OVF too, kool. When I was shooting on Saturday with my first x pro 2 I was using a combo of the EVF and OVF and it happened for both of them, but one of the most interesting things about this problem is that it seems to have a mind of it's own.

I don't have the latest firmware update for the X-Pro2, but I can say I've noticed the power not immediately turning back on once I've just turned off the camera.  I only notice this when I try to quickly turn off and on the camera immediately.  When done too fast, It doesn't turn on.. so, i have to turn the switch off then on again and it turns back on.

I have to try again, but I think if you wait a little after having just turned off the camera, it will turn on immediately when you turn the switch to on.

Regarding OVF & EVF, I don't think it makes a difference cause I've had it happen on both occasions.

Also, I don't think it makes a difference what lens is on there, although I also have the 35mm f2 & 18mm f2... and a 56mm f1.2.

I think the immediate solution is not to turn the camera on and off so quickly.. either leave it on, or allow for a brief moment before turning back on.. unless this on/off problem is actually something else other than what I'm describing.

BTW, I don't get any error message, it just doesn't turn on.

Edited by Wing0949

I don't have the latest firmware update for the X-Pro2, but I can say I've noticed the power not immediately turning back on once I've just turned off the camera. I only notice this when I try to quickly turn off and on the camera immediately. When done too fast, It doesn't turn on.. so, i have to turn the switch off then on again and it turns back on.

I have to try again, but I think if you wait a little after having just turned off the camera, it will turn on immediately when you turn the switch to on.

I think this is just a Fuji X thing. My X100s did the same thing. Not a big problem though if you remember to give it a sec before you turn it back on.

Edited by bffmike

For those of you that are getting the error, do you happen to have a screw in soft release installed on the shutter button?

What I was told by Fuji Repair when I called about this was it was probably a lens mount problem.  I trust the person who told me this because he has repaired two cameras for me.  I was told on both bodies I purchased that it would be easier just to send it back to the merchant for a replacement.  I just got #3 out of the box so I guess I will find out soon.  I rarely take more than 20-30 photos on any outing so it may be a few days before it shows up.  On the first one I think I had it for about 3 days before I got the error message.  On the second one it was within the first 20 frames.  I did a portrait job recently and took approximately 40-50 shots.  I'm just mystified how people shoot 2000 frames and have time to look at them all.  If I have a problem with this one it is going in for a lens mount replacement.  And I will really be upset.... :wacko:

Mine to is a 61A0 and I have not had that problem, thankfully.  I can't imagine the stress that must be for the wedding guys, right in the middle of the wedding.  I hope this gets worked out.

Before I recently jumped to Fuji I had 3 different Nikon full frame bodies die at weddings over a 4 year period.  Yes it is very stressful and why it is mandatory to have more than 1 body for shoots that cannot be rescheduled.  When it happened the 3rd time, that is when I said good buy to Nikon.  Their support centre was very good (I had NPS membership) but almost $2K in repairs for cameras with low actuations and not long out of warranty was just too much.

Edited by Adam Woodhouse

Well body #3 gave me the Turn Off/Turn On error after 6 shots.  I am going to call Steve at Fuji Repair tomorrow to see what he recommends.  If it goes back to B&H this time I'm not asking for a replacement.  Maybe I will just wait and let them get them get the bugs worked out for 6-12 months.  I like it better than the Df, but the Df works.

it is clear, that the issue is shutter related - it is sticky, or mechanically flowed, which brings the camera to a fatal error and request to restart it. I'm really pissed of Fuji to not acknowledge the problem - now my service center is simply sitting and waiting for "something to happen", since they don't know what to do with so new model. It is a freaking fact, and everyone is reporting that they are telling "you are the first one to report". Changing 3 bodies, like the user above is ridiculous. They are simply killing it, X-Pro2 will be remembered not with the revolution it brings to X series, but that is the most expensive mirrorless camera, with the most critical bug ever (shutter), that nobody properly addressed. All this fame that "Fuji cares for its users" is now totally killed.

Edited by mralien

The point is I guess is to not sending back your bodies to your retailer but directly contact Fuji.

The more bodies they got in their repair services will move them!

I got the same answers as you from Fuji France, they never heard of this issue before, my X-PRO 2 is the only one camera sent back to their repair services, lucky me they succeed to replicate the issue, even with the latest firmware, and finally see that's an hardware issue.

I totally understand you since we are a lot out there around the world with this issue, but not enough to be heard nor considered.

That being said, I try to be in their shoes, I'm talking for the France department.

Being the only one case in France I find that they doing well even if it could take time.

My Fuji Rep does a very good job for an only one case they heard of by first considering this issue as one then proposing me a loan camera during the whole process of my repair or replacement. 

Mine will be certainly replaced as he said.

As a new launch camera, it's obvious that's for Fuji Japan the detached pieces, at this time, are dedicated to making new cameras than repairing them.

I can understand them, I only hope that this experiences will serve all Fuji around the world to improve their support service.

At this time, following your serials numbers, this issue appeared on 61M05XXX and 61M06XXX series

Edited by thierrynguyn

it is clear, that the issue is shutter related - it is sticky, or mechanically flowed, which brings the camera to a fatal error and request to restart it. I'm really pissed of Fuji to not acknowledge the problem - now my service center is simply sitting and waiting for "something to happen", since they don't know what to do with so new model. It is a freaking fact, and everyone is reporting that they are telling "you are the first one to report". Changing 3 bodies, like the user above is ridiculous. They are simply killing it, X-Pro2 will be remembered not with the revolution it brings to X series, but that is the most expensive mirrorless camera, with the most critical bug ever (shutter), that nobody properly addressed. All this fame that "Fuji cares for its users" is now totally killed.

Yeah, I'm not real happy right now.  I am sitting here debating calling B&H for a return/refund or Fuji Repair.  I really like the camera but....  I am not going to take another body from B&H.  Look I can understand if I have a camera for awhile and it breaks, but some of these bugs (none of the three I have had will connect to the Instax Printer) should not be a problem out of the box.  I sort of understood some of the XT1's with the light leaks (I had one).  Things can happen in the manufacturing process.  But basic level software in the camera that has been on multiple bodies should work out of the box on the most expensive camera body.  That is not professional- period.  To Fuji Repair's credit they fixed my X100T two months out of warranty for free.  Though I have to wonder if it's because I've had to send in three bodies for repairs and when they agreed to do it they were aware that I had received at that time two defective X Pro2's.  I'm sure that had something to do with the decision.  Plus the battery chargers that I got with both my X100 and X100T were DOA.  There just seems to be something wrong.  I love the products but the execution is extremely poor.  The lenses are very good, but they have a long history in camera lens manufacturing.  I have been doing photography for a long time and I can say basically all the modern digital lenses are good now so that's sort of faint praise.  Most of the lens comparisons you see now are at a level that has nothing do with viewing prints at a gallery distance.  I guess if you want to zoom in on some leaves at 100% on your computer monitor OK.   But if you are printing at say 12 x 18 you really aren't going to be able to tell the difference between a Fuji, Canon, Nikon, Olympus, ect.   

Anyway, enough of that, except to say I wish Nikon made a digital rangefinder style camera...... :D

Yeah, I'm not real happy right now. I am sitting here debating calling B&H for a return/refund or Fuji Repair. I really like the camera but.... I am not going to take another body from B&H. Look I can understand if I have a camera for awhile and it breaks, but some of these bugs (none of the three I have had will connect to the Instax Printer) should not be a problem out of the box. I sort of understood some of the XT1's with the light leaks (I had one). Things can happen in the manufacturing process. But basic level software in the camera that has been on multiple bodies should work out of the box on the most expensive camera body. That is not professional- period. To Fuji Repair's credit they fixed my X100T two months out of warranty for free. Though I have to wonder if it's because I've had to send in three bodies for repairs and when they agreed to do it they were aware that I had received at that time two defective X Pro2's. I'm sure that had something to do with the decision. Plus the battery chargers that I got with both my X100 and X100T were DOA. There just seems to be something wrong. I love the products but the execution is extremely poor. The lenses are very good, but they have a long history in camera lens manufacturing. I have been doing photography for a long time and I can say basically all the modern digital lenses are good now so that's sort of faint praise. Most of the lens comparisons you see now are at a level that has nothing do with viewing prints at a gallery distance. I guess if you want to zoom in on some leaves at 100% on your computer monitor OK. But if you are printing at say 12 x 18 you really aren't going to be able to tell the difference between a Fuji, Canon, Nikon, Olympus, ect.

Anyway, enough of that, except to say I wish Nikon made a digital rangefinder style camera...... :D

:( Too bad what country are you from?

I just receive a call from Fuji repair service, they confirm me that they'll replace my xpro 2 with a brand new since the delay for the detached pieces will take much longer.

Judging by that, Fuji France are now totally and officially aware of this issue. I hope for other Fuji countries to do and act as well.

I tried to reproduce the issue last night and no matter what I did I couldn't get the error to happen. Tried multiple times in both manual and af-s and took several photos in succession (10+) using the same SD card I had when the problem first occurred. Strange.

If you don't experienced this anymore it could be a good thing, well you'll see later if it comes back.

What was the frequency you got this issue before?

It starts to be annoying when every 6 or 10 shots you got it.

I also had this issue when I was in MF

Edited by thierrynguyn

I'd like to thoroughly test my X-Pro2. Does this error occurs under particular conditions/settings?

So far, I've been shooting at a slow pace and never got the "Turn Off/On" message. Anyway, I didn't test the camera at the low/high continuous drive settings. The 23mm 1.4 is the lens I've been using all the time in the last 30 days.

Should I try anything in particular to be sure that my camera is not affected by this issue?

The serial number of my X-Pro2 is 61M07xxx.

I'd like to thoroughly test my X-Pro2. Does this error occurs under particular conditions/settings?

So far, I've been shooting at a slow pace and never got the "Turn Off/On" message. Anyway, I didn't test the camera at the low/high continuous drive settings. The 23mm 1.4 is the lens I've been using all the time in the last 30 days.

Should I try anything in particular to be sure that my camera is not affected by this issue?

The serial number of my X-Pro2 is 61M07xxx.

No particular conditions, it just happens when you want to take a picture, with any lens. It's just the shutter that is defective. If you don't encounter this issue by now and If you shoot a lot, yours may be safe. Edited by thierrynguyn