X-Pro2 "turn camera off and back on" error with FM 1.01

Anyone still getting the "turn camera off and back on" error on the X-Pro2 with firmware 1.01? Settings do NOT reset but camera freezes up and you have to turn it off and back on to get it functioning again. This has happened with both the 35mm F2 and the 18mm F2. 

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum so nice to meet you all! I'm Matt and I currently shoot an XT1 and XPro2. 

This thread caught my attention as I had this error happen 5 times yesterday at an event. I'm also on FW 1.01 and was using the 23mm 1.4. My biggest question (which I'm guessing no one can answer except Fuji) is whether this is something that will be fixed with an update or whether I need to take my camera back? Someone suggested turning 'shoot without lens' on, so I've done that, and more recently someone suggested it may be to do with the speed of the cards, so I'll have a look at that also. 

I would return the camera.  I had many issues with my first X-Pro2, on my second and the only issue I have is with WiFi to an Instax SP1 printer.  I will be calling Fujifilm next week as I am back from spring break but did use the camera extensively on holiday with no lock-ups.

This happened to me at least 10 times yesterday at a wedding while I was using it as my primary camera.  Pretty scary...

I used tried the shoot without lens on, happened with the 18 and 23 and fresh batteries.  Looking for suggestions as well.  I have another wedding next weekend and not sure exactly what I should do at this point.

Just to update, I've spammed my shutter a little today to see if it will happen again, and it did; no flash, single shot AF, 23mm 1.4. Using a Kingston 32gb card with write speed of 80mb/s, 'shoot without lens' turned on. 

Can't seem to access the fuji uk support site at the moment, but it will be going back to LCE tomorrow as this can't be right.

So it sounds like we've pretty much ruled out the 'only happens on slow cards', and 'only happens with flash'. Also someone suggested that it was only on the 23mm a little while back but that seems to have been completely thrown out of the equation since. Also, shooting with the 'shoot without lens' turned on doesn't seem to yield any results.

I guess it's simply a fault on some cameras then? Possibly the only question that remains for me is whether they'll have a way of patching it out, but I'm not sure I want to hang around to find out when it's seemingly having the error fairly frequently. 

Yea I hear you,  it happened at the start of the ceremony.  I didn't want to but I had to sling the old 5d3 around the shoulder for a just in case on the precessional. Luckily no problems but it's not a good feeling to have that error come up so often at a wedding.  I'll call support when they open tomorrow.

Yeah tell me about it, the x pro 2 was one of the last stages for me of moving away from Canon completely but I was too freaked at the prospect of it doing it during the processional and stuck with the 5D for safe measure at that point. Real shame because I've been loving everything about the x pro 2. Hopefully though the guys at LCE will get it sorted out though.

I am in the same exact boat.  I rolled the dice and kept shooting the xpro2 the rest of the day.  I am ready to dump the canon just need to get this sorted out.

It will happen in time, just be patient.  You are one of the first adopters of their new sensor/processor ... so there are going to be glitches (regretfully).  Hopefully they are worked out quickly.

Hi Everyone, this has happened exactly once for me.

When it happened I had accidentally moved the OVF/EVF selector lever whilst taking a picture, this crashed the computer camera and I got the message to turn off and on.

I don't know whether this is related to what happens to you, however I thought I'd mention it just in case it helps someone.

Thanks for the update.  Is LCE the place where you bought it?  I am going to call fuji repair center today.  I am in a bit of a pickle since I have another wedding this weekend, don't have much time to send it back and wait for another one to arrive.

I am on my second X-Pro2 now having replaced the first one. They both have the turn on/off issue. I have read threads where other people had their camera replaced and the issue persisted. I'm beginning to believe they all have this issue. Some people have returned or contacted Fuji about the problem and their response so far has been that the camera needs to be sent in for repairs because it's likely a hardware issue with the lens mount. One person sent theirs into Fuji France and they said that it was the first time they've seen the problem and didn't yet have the parts available to fix it. If you get your camera replaced and it doesn't have this issue, I'd love to hear about it as everything else I've read seems to suggest they all have this issue.

Yes brianmilo, LCE is where I bought it and they had one in stock to swap with my other one...they initially said it would need to be sent off to Fuji to be fixed but I wasn't too happy with that given that it's two weeks old, so they were more than happy to swap it.

That's a shame bffmike, maybe they do all have it. I too have read of people that have had a replacement but still had the issue. I took 1,000 frames today without any problems and another 300 with flash without any trouble (I'm not normally that prolific with my images but thought it wouldn't hurt to see if the problem reared it's ugly head again), no problems yet. I had the issue about 100 shots with the very first camera, and then again at regular 200 or so shot intervals so I'm hoping it may be gone with this one, but having said that it seems that the frequency of the issue varies from camera to camera...some people get it loads and others have had it just the once. 

I wonder, if it is a problem with every camera, what Fuji will do about it. Could be pretty big if it's all hardware problems. Anyway, for now, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my current one!

I've shot one full wedding (about 1500 images) and a few portrait sessions with the Xpro2 as well as playing around with it a ton since I got it day one. I haven't had this issue one time. I know that it's a issue for some of you but just wanted to give a heads up that I think it might be a batch not all the cameras. For reference tracking this my serial number starts with 61A0

I've shot one full wedding (about 1500 images) and a few portrait sessions with the Xpro2 as well as playing around with it a ton since I got it day one. I haven't had this issue one time. I know that it's a issue for some of you but just wanted to give a heads up that I think it might be a batch not all the cameras. For reference tracking this my serial number starts with 61A0

Mine is also a 61A0. Good to hear your camera works perfectly!

Mine is also a 61A0. Good to hear your camera works perfectly!

Well I hope it stays that way. Just rattled off about 200 shots to try to replicate and couldn't get it to happen (thankfully). Another wedding this weekend will report back. 

Hopefully Fuji reads this and starts acknowledging an issue. 

Edited by ryan

my serial number is 61a07449

ordered another from b&h and getting a refund on the current one.  

Fuji USA support said they were unaware.  Told me to shut it off for 24 hours without the battery to reset it.

b&h said they were unaware of the problem as well.

My new one is 61M09 (and currently still no problem), as was my previous one that had the issue. I could believe a dealership not being aware of the problem (although with one as big as b&h, surely someone else has had it come up?) but it seems very odd to me that Fuji aren't really acknowledging it at all. 

Edited by chudlyfudly

Hi folks, unfortunately this issue it's an hardware issue, so it can't be fixed by an update firmware, You have to send it to Fuji services for check repair...

This was confirmed by fujifilm france when they got mine into their services.

The issue it's apparently the Curtain shutter issue that get stuck before the turn off on message appeared.

Unfortunately for me, my camera it's still the first and the only one case in France they got, that's why it takes much time to be resolve fastly...

It's been two weeks now since they got mine, I've got some news last Monday, they will exchange mine when they'll got one since they still don't know when they'll get the detached pieces to repair it. In the waiting process they'll send me a loan camera in the next days or next week.

What is your serial number guys for listing what series are concerned, mine is 61M05XXX

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Edited by thierrynguyn

Thanks for clearing my thoughts guys.

Mine has the curtain shutter that get stuck and freezes the camera. Only solution is to take out the battery.

I also have a serial number starting with 61M05XXX.

No issues using the electronic shutter only.

Sending it for repair or replacement.

Edited by ArthurKeller

I am on my second X-Pro2 now having replaced the first one. They both have the turn on/off issue. I have read threads where other people had their camera replaced and the issue persisted. I'm beginning to believe they all have this issue. Some people have returned or contacted Fuji about the problem and their response so far has been that the camera needs to be sent in for repairs because it's likely a hardware issue with the lens mount. One person sent theirs into Fuji France and they said that it was the first time they've seen the problem and didn't yet have the parts available to fix it. If you get your camera replaced and it doesn't have this issue, I'd love to hear about it as everything else I've read seems to suggest they all have this issue.

I am on my third body now.  The person who said Fuji Repair USA hasn't heard of this was misled  I called them twice about it.  They are really nice there (I've had a lot of experience with them).  Both times they told me to return the camera to B&H for a new one.  I also ended up buying a Nikon Df which I have been using.  I would have just sent the X Pro2 back for a refund but I have all the prime lenses except the 90.  When I priced selling them I was going to lose a lot of money.  This will be the last Fuji camera I buy though.  Once I feel like I have some value from the lenses I will sell everything off.  I had problems with my X100, XT1, X100T and now I'm three bodies in on the X Pro2.  I just got the third copy yesterday so I haven't tried it out yet.  Actually I'm not even excited about the camera anymore.  I got my original one the first week in March so, I'm now a month into this.  It sort of killed the excitement I had about the camera.  I am very happy with the Df.  It's a breeze to manual focus with, I have a lot of Nikon AIS lenses so it was sort of a no brainer.  I guess eventually I will try out the X Pro2.  You know the thrill is gone when you just leave it in the box.  I got it last night and it's still taped up in the box.  I just put it on the shelf and took my dogs for a walk when I got home.  I guess I will get it out later today to see if this one works.  If not I think instead of returning it, I will ship to Fuji Repair.  I'm not in a hurry to use it now.