XPRO-2 warming

I love this camera, but I noticed that the camera gets "warm" after light usage. Is this normal? I've never experienced it with any previous Fuji cameras {X100T, XT-1, or any cameras previously.) I'm not talking overheating... just the camera getting a bit warm. Thanks for your help.

I have an X-Pro2 and X100S. Compared to the X100S, the X-Pro2 gets much warmer, especially on the bottom plate and the screen. I was initially worried about this and acquired another new X-Pro2 for comparison. I ran an informal test by leaving both X-Pro2 units on for an hour with the screen running. Both X-Pro2s got similarly warm. They were not hot or overheating, but noticeably warm.

I also did this test comparing aftermarket Wasabi batteries with the OEM and saw negligible difference.

Another X-Pro2 user also told me his camera gets warm. So, the warming seems to be normal or at least common. To be fair, I don't notice it much while out shooting, but I usually have the leather half case on.

Let me know if anyone here has more information to add. Hopefully this isn't a problem. 

Thanks for the input Vince. I'm starting to think this might be normal, but I'll keep testing and keeping my eye on the situation. Fuji indicates it's normal, but has no explanation as to why it is so. None of the past X-series cameras have that issue. Nor did my Nikon DSLRs. Because of the initial bugs and quirkiness of the X-PRO 2, my confidence level is not what it should be. Love the camera none-the-less!

Thanks for the input Vince. I'm starting to think this might be normal, but I'll keep testing and keeping my eye on the situation. Fuji indicates it's normal, but has no explanation as to why it is so. None of the past X-series cameras have that issue. Nor did my Nikon DSLRs. Because of the initial bugs and quirkiness of the X-PRO 2, my confidence level is not what it should be. Love the camera none-the-less!

Yes, it's normal it can get a bit warm at the bottom plate and near the viewfinder too. I have the Xpro1 as well and to compare- The xpro1 was never warm. Only the xpro2. It's weird but I guess i'll deal with it because I love the camera but I just hope there are no long term issues to a burn out or over heating.

Nonetheless Fuji! That does not mean your customers should have to live with this. Perhaps optimize the CPU to not get as well or whatever is causing the warmth :D thanks in advance!

Edited by xovi

Its a feature not a fault. The camera was extensively tested on Mt Fuji in winter where the original alpha testers fingers were getting too cold.  Rather than provide the testers with gloves or heat packs Fujifilm decided to install a little fire imp inside the camera body in order to provide the warmth required for extensive shooting in low temperatures. Admittedly there is downside to this in that in warmer climes or during summer the camera body can become slightly toasty.... not a problem,. This June Fujifilm will release the Gunmetal version of the X-Pro2 which has an ice imp installed instead. In fact that version has a little side hatch where, if you speak very nicely to the imp, it will dispense freshly made ice creams and slurpies. I hear tell that Fuji have decided to expand this idea for next Christmas by firmware update to allow the original black X-Pro2's fire imps to supply roasted chestnuts.

When I got mine never experienced the heating issue even shooting intensively for 2 hours... But I got another one issue, the curtain shutter issue following with the turn off on message as explained in the other thread.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Its a feature not a fault. The camera was extensively tested on Mt Fuji in winter where the original alpha testers fingers were getting too cold.  Rather than provide the testers with gloves or heat packs Fujifilm decided to install a little fire imp inside the camera body in order to provide the warmth required for extensive shooting in low temperatures. Admittedly there is downside to this in that in warmer climes or during summer the camera body can become slightly toasty.... not a problem,. This June Fujifilm will release the Gunmetal version of the X-Pro2 which has an ice imp installed instead. In fact that version has a little side hatch where, if you speak very nicely to the imp, it will dispense freshly made ice creams and slurpies. I hear tell that Fuji have decided to expand this idea for next Christmas by firmware update to allow the original black X-Pro2's fire imps to supply roasted chestnuts.

I'm gonna root for macadamias. It's more expensive here and I'm allergic to chestnuts. :lol:

Not noticed any issues mysel, bit I only picked the camera up on Friday so early says. I did wonder if you were using the lossless compression, maybe that uses a bit of power?

I have previously shot on Cannon gear and noticed it too gets hot, especially on video mode. So a bit of heat is normal and I would expect the metal body would dissipate heat well. On my Cannon gear it would give an overheat warning.

Fact is the limited number of shots per battery show that it chews through power. Pretty much like all laptops, phones, iPads etc.

I am hoping that what you're experiencing is just normal.

Mine becomes warm after about 30 minutes of shooting.  I have the MHG grip, which seems to help keep the temperature down.  I haven't noticed any problems caused by this.  BTW, my XT-1 did this also, just not as hot.  For the record, I had this issue with my old Nikons (D300, D700) during event shooting - just not as noticeable.   Obviously this is going to be due to the batteries/processors/screen/sensor/shutter generating heat.  A lot of cameras use the mass of the body as a heat sink, so I guess with smaller less massive cameras you will get more warming - especially if you use the EVF and back display....

I've noticed it too with the X-Pro2 and never with the X-Pro1 (or the X100 for that matter). Have contacted botch retailer and Fujifilm helpdesk (in Netherlands/Germany). They both mentioned that is normal and is caused by the better performance of the X-Pro2. Found that to be a bit of a typical answer so I requested some more info and got the reply that due to the new processor's upgraded performance the camera can heat up more noticeably than the X-Pro1 because of the materials used in the camera (more metal (aluminium/magnesium?) instead of plastics) and that it in no way can cause damage to the camera.

However I found some 'black frames' that occurred during the moments that the camera was really hot so will have to see if there's a cause/effect there.

Edited by kjguch

I have not experienced any noticeable warming with mine but I do turn the camera off between shots rather than keeping it on, even when shooting a car drifting event lately and doing AFC Zone + burst it did not appear to get warm and using the viewfinder I would have felt it on my face if the LCD got warm.

I do use it in the UK where our climate is not as warm as elsewhere!!!!!!

I have an X-Pro2 and X100S. Compared to the X100S, the X-Pro2 gets much warmer, especially on the bottom plate and the screen. I was initially worried about this and acquired another new X-Pro2 for comparison. I ran an informal test by leaving both X-Pro2 units on for an hour with the screen running. Both X-Pro2s got similarly warm. They were not hot or overheating, but noticeably warm.

I also did this test comparing aftermarket Wasabi batteries with the OEM and saw negligible difference.

Another X-Pro2 user also told me his camera gets warm. So, the warming seems to be normal or at least common. To be fair, I don't notice it much while out shooting, but I usually have the leather half case on.

Let me know if anyone here has more information to add. Hopefully this isn't a problem. 

Doesn't the PRO 2 camera power OFF automatically after a certain amount of idle time like 2 minutes or 5 minutes ?

I've borrowed two other X-Pro2's and they both exhibit the same warming tendencies, so for now I'm accepting the warming as being normal.

Quoting Rico Pfirstinger, "As long as there's no overheating warning, there's no problem."

Edited by quietlight