Moving object in low light with Xpro2

I think that given the outstanding performance of Fuji at high ISO you could try shooting with no flash. 

The camera has tracking capability which will certainly help you and if you use a panning head or a track slider ( in this case maybe one should consider a motorized one) , you could also minimize your camera shaking and the relative speed between moving object and camera so that you can use a relatively slow shutter speed and still obtain sharp images.

If not than the flash is you only option but at the moment Fuji doesn’t have a, yet, sophisticated flash system and you would have to rely on Nissin or the Metz to come.

I recently took pictures of people dancing in a salsa club using 

• X Pro 2
  • XF16-55mm f2.8
  • Nissin i40 flash (typically with a MagMod grid)
  • Camera set to high performance mode
  • ISO6400 and ISO1600
  • 1/125s at f2.8, 1/30s at f2.8

I think I had only one shot where I missed focus and and using the EVF and OVF I managed to time most of the shots such that I didn't get too many pictures of people's back as the spun and turned. Using an XT1 at the same club in December, I got fewer hits - the shutter lag is much harder to finesse.

Previously I would use a Canon 5d Mk III and it was really good at seeing the dance and keeping up with the action, but the X Pro 2 is more fun to use and I prefer the way Fuji renders images. Also, the XP2 is not so intimidating in a social event and the kit is smaller and more convenient to carry. It would be good to have a faster recycling flash which connects to a Quantum Turbo battery pack or similar.

The images are on a Facebook page. This was my first low-light outing with the X Pro 2 so be gentle ;) The first few shots were ISO6400 but I then switched to  ISO1600 using a fixed shutter of 1/125s . Later on, I was experimenting with dragging the shutter at 1/30s. I was using a grid on the flash most of the time to spot light individual couples and to let the ambient light come through.

IIRC I was using Continuous auto-focus most of the time...

I shot about 500 images at a high school rodeo using zone focusing and continuous focus with the very slow 60mm f2.4 lens.  Take a look at the results here:  http://www.ricklewisphotography.com/blog/editorial/fuji-x-pro2-making-me-smile/

I was simply amazed at the X-Pro2's ability.  It is no Nikon D4s, but it ain't bad.   :)