EVF color accuracy

Yes, I do agree that the X-T1 evf is very good. It's like a relief looking through it.

Sounds like you need reading glasses. It's very inconvenient for photography.

I'm not sure if Fujifilm stated anywhere that their evf is color certified. Unless the manufacturer is willing to "color correct" this tint, we may have to live with it.

Yeah, I have started to need reading glasses. However, I do just fine with the X-T1 and still shoot a lot of fast moving situations without feeling impaired. The diopter adjustment on the X-T1 and now on the X-Pro2 are essential though. It does mean I depend more on the EVF (compared to the LCD) than I would otherwise.

Nobody said Fuji claimed that about color accuracy.

I'm disappointed because I've used 2 previous Fuji cameras including the X-T1. I understood the X-Pro2 EVF was smaller. However, I assumed that the X-Pro2 EVF would at least not be a big step backwards from the X-T1. The X-Pro2 is their most expensive camera and it's EVF is the worst in terms of color.

I wonder if Fuji purposefully made it off to match the X-Pro1? That is the only reason I can think of for them building in such an error... to stay consistent with the X-Pro1.

I think it is idiotic to purposefully make the LCD and EVF look different. To build in an error which makes the EVF look aesthetically bad and be less reliable as a representation of the end result than the LCD. If it was not purposeful, then it is essentially a bug and should be fixed. 

The reactions from people about the color cast in the EVF range from bothered to not so much, but I doubt anybody likes it or wants a bluish cast in the EVF that does not match the LCD or the resulting image.

First off, the color of an electronic display is almost never going to be exactly the same as the real world display of the EVF. You are asking the impossible of your camera. Secondly, accurate color on the EVF isn't really all that important. You aren't going to change anything about your photograph based on the nature of the color — that image isn't there to judge accurate exposure and color but rather to let you compose and time your shot.

First off, the color of an electronic display is almost never going to be exactly the same as the real world display of the EVF. You are asking the impossible of your camera. Secondly, accurate color on the EVF isn't really all that important. You aren't going to change anything about your photograph based on the nature of the color — that image isn't there to judge accurate exposure and color but rather to let you compose and time your shot.

On my X-T1 the LCD and EVF match each other and both are a credible representation of the general tone of the jpg. So if they can match on the X-T1 they can and should match on the X-Pro2 as well... 

The color of the EVF is important to me, just like the color of the LCD is also important to me. You are welcome to use a camera however you wish, but please speak for yourself... I do change WB and exposure settings based on what I see. My guess is lots of other people do to... I doubt many people would be happy if the EVF and LCD were monochrome.

I've noticed something in the couple days I have had the XP2 - While the EVF is cooler than the LCD (and setting aside whether that is a problem or not), which one looks "right" seems to vary based on the ambient lighting conditions  :blink:

Right now I'm sitting on my office/man cave with just north facing window light coming in (no artificial lighting turned on) and the EVF is the best match, by far, for the WB compared to what I see with my naked eye. The LCD is distinctly warm. In other situations (outdoors in sunlight) the EVF appears a bit too cool compared to the naked eye view.

Not sure I could theorize how that is happening given both are operating off the same image after any processing.

Edited by khollister

The evf on both the xpro1 and xpro2 are whiter than the LCD.

Depending on where you point your af point, awb may turn off-af-point whites slightly "bluish" or cooler in color. Although I seldom see the bluish tint, different people may detect whites differently.

I find that the evf of the xpro2 the whitest of all 3 cameras. To me, it's miles ahead of the xpro1 evf.

Yeah, I have started to need reading glasses. However, I do just fine with the X-T1 and still shoot a lot of fast moving situations without feeling impaired. The diopter adjustment on the X-T1 and now on the X-Pro2 are essential though. It does mean I depend more on the EVF (compared to the LCD) than I would otherwise.

Nobody said Fuji claimed that about color accuracy.

I'm disappointed because I've used 2 previous Fuji cameras including the X-T1. I understood the X-Pro2 EVF was smaller. However, I assumed that the X-Pro2 EVF would at least not be a big step backwards from the X-T1. The X-Pro2 is their most expensive camera and it's EVF is the worst in terms of color.

I wonder if Fuji purposefully made it off to match the X-Pro1? That is the only reason I can think of for them building in such an error... to stay consistent with the X-Pro1.

I think it is idiotic to purposefully make the LCD and EVF look different. To build in an error which makes the EVF look aesthetically bad and be less reliable as a representation of the end result than the LCD. If it was not purposeful, then it is essentially a bug and should be fixed. 

The reactions from people about the color cast in the EVF range from bothered to not so much, but I doubt anybody likes it or wants a bluish cast in the EVF that does not match the LCD or the resulting image.

You may just be right.

Now that they have achieved the highest refresh rate for the xpro2 evf, I suspect the evf of the xt2 will be just as fast and just as big as the xt1's. In that respect, the xt2 will probably be the evf sought after by all. After all, they will need reasons for people to buy the xt2 after the xpro2.

I notice the difference when I go between the OVF and EVF, but it barely registers for me. I'm not using the viewfinder to judge subtle color balance in any case, and even if I could see it "accurately" I'm at a loss to understand how that would affect my photography.

I think what is going on is that it is a fact of life that EVF systems, especially when set up to do exposure simulation (so that you can see in low light), must do all sorts of convolutions in order to display an image that looks good in video format. Keep in mind that the electronic display cannot, for example, display anywhere near the dynamic range that may be present in the optical view, so it has to compress it. I suspect that the EVF is also doing some on-the-fly color compensation.

In the end, it really seems like a non issue to me.

I notice the difference when I go between the OVF and EVF, but it barely registers for me. I'm not using the viewfinder to judge subtle color balance in any case, and even if I could see it "accurately" I'm at a loss to understand how that would affect my photography.

I think what is going on is that it is a fact of life that EVF systems, especially when set up to do exposure simulation (so that you can see in low light), must do all sorts of convolutions in order to display an image that looks good in video format. Keep in mind that the electronic display cannot, for example, display anywhere near the dynamic range that may be present in the optical view, so it has to compress it. I suspect that the EVF is also doing some on-the-fly color compensation.

It never occurred to me until this thread. It still doesn't bother me as I use the ovf/evf to compose, focus and check the overall brightness. And in dark conditions, the less I rely on it's color.

You already stated it is a non-issue for you. It is an issue for me... so it is an issue for some people and not for others. I don't like the bluish cast of the X-Pro2

And to your point about the inaccuracy of EVF's, I already acknowledged that myself right from the start. However,  that point has no bearing in the matter I am talking about. The X-Pro2 LCD is fine and does not have a bluish cast and it is an electronic display just like the EVF. The EVF in the X-T1 matches its LCD which matches the X-Pro2 LCD. It is only the X-Pro2 EVF that has the weird bluish color cast. The X-Pro2 EVF should match the X-Pro2 LCD. 

It never occurred to me until this thread. It still doesn't bother me as I use the ovf/evf to compose, focus and check the overall brightness. And in dark conditions, the less I rely on it's color.

Do you use the LCD to judge color? Or you just don't pay much attention to color and trust the auto WB?

Do you use the LCD to judge color? Or you just don't pay much attention to color and trust the auto WB?

I shoot raw. On casual shoots, I don't worry about wb much. If the lighting is tricky, I shoot a small custom gray card in place first or any adjoining white surfaces.

On assignments, I use a custom gray card and sometimes a color checker.

I view all my shots through the LCD if I'm not tethering my shots.

I never rely on evf for color balance.

I shoot raw. On casual shoots, I don't worry about wb much. If the lighting is tricky, I shoot a small custom gray card in place first or any adjoining white surfaces.

On assignments, I use a custom gray card and sometimes a color checker.

I view all my shots through the LCD if I'm not tethering my shots.

I never rely on evf for color balance.

I do a lot of street photography in the evening and night... so many changing lighting situations. In those settings, with the X-T1 I depend on the LCD and the EVF... especially the EVF with lots of fast action.

I've decided to keep the X-Pro2. It's better built than the X-T1, significantly faster (turning on, waking up etc), I can keep my tripods quick release plate on and change the battery (yay), AF is faster, tracks better, Acros is special, as soon as I used the joystick it became a must have and the buttons in general are more sure. 

The more I like the X-Pro2, the more I wish the EVF matched the LCD. Works great of course for Acros, but for color it just bugs me seeing that bluish color cast in the EVF when the LCD looks great. An annoying blemish on an otherwise splendid camera. The pro's are too many so I'm gonna live with it... until the X-T2 comes out.

Edited by deva

I do a lot of street photography in the evening and night... so many changing lighting situations. In those settings, with the X-T1 I depend on the LCD and the EVF... especially the EVF with lots of fast action.

I've decided to keep the X-Pro2. It's better built than the X-T1, significantly faster (turning on, waking up etc), I can keep my tripods quick release plate on and change the battery (yay), AF is faster, tracks better, Acros is special, as soon as I used the joystick it became a must have and the buttons in general are more sure. 

The more I like the X-Pro2, the more I wish the EVF matched the LCD. Works great of course for Acros, but for color it just bugs me seeing that bluish color cast. An annoying blemish on an otherwise splendid camera. The pro's are too many so I'm gonna live with it... until the X-T2 comes out.

I fully understand where you are coming from and I agree with you, the Xpro series cameras is formidable for street photography.

I wish that the evf would better resemble the LCD too. It takes the frustration out of our minds but I'm thankful I can "ignore" the differences.

I was told that Fujifilm does extract our posts here to read. Hopefully they are listening.

So...I don't know if anyone has tried using the set up>screen set-up>EVF COLOR or LCD COLOR settings in the X-Pro2.  They can be adjusted in the range of +/-5 units, and they may affect the warm/cool appearance.  I see some difference, but I have not tried to mess with it until this very moment.

So...I don't know if anyone has tried using the set up>screen set-up>EVF COLOR or LCD COLOR settings in the X-Pro2.  They can be adjusted in the range of +/-5 units, and they may affect the warm/cool appearance.  I see some difference, but I have not tried to mess with it until this very moment.

Thank you. I didn't even notice this feature. Will try to muck around it.

EVF Color adjusts saturation... not color balance

Sounds like most of us prefer the color rendering of the LCD to the EVF, but which is the most accurate?  Compare the EVF, OVF and LCD and determine which is closest to our calibrated monitor for on-the-spot color accuracy. Whatever option you choose will never perfectly match your calibrated monitors, but it's at least as close as we can get at this point.

I guess adaptive learning comes into the game for me.

My eye/mind has adjusted to the evf subliminally that by looking at the evf, I could expect how it will look like on the LCD and subsequently know what to expect on the monitors.

It happens so automatically that I don't even think about it or realize I'd been doing that.

Anyone here with the same experience?

According to the manual you can change the brightness and hue of the EVF for better color rendition. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm about to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It says that, but it only appears to adjust saturation, not hue/color balance

• 6 years later...

I have a XPro 3 and I can confirm the "bluer' evf is still true even in 2023. I am looking into how to use EVF color adjustment, but so far it seems tedious and very difficult to compare two displays and give am accurate adjustment.