Any news about a FW 4.0 update on the E2?

The only reason to update the X-E2 is to sell more of them at a higher price, but w/o cannibalizing X-T10 sales.

Obviously, many X100T users also want an upgrade. So do plenty of X30 users. And what about XQ2? Is was just released, but no Zone and Wide/Tracking AF modes. It's a super current model, so where's my update? :)

The big guys yeah

When I was in a band we often would do an encore that was unplanned, normally it would be a song that we were 90% there on, but did not feel was strong enough yet to play out. If we were getting a good reaction and an encore it woudl often be a great time to debut it as we had an appreciative audience (encores are usually not requested at the end of a bad gig) and the adrenaline rush would usually carry us through any of the sections we were still a bit ropey on.

I have played planned encores before ie songs we had held back from set in case we got an encore, and do you know I swear audience can tell when your flying by the seat of your pants becuase whenever we did an unplannned one it always used to go down way better, its like they picked up on our nerves and kinda liked that we were taking a risk and felt part of it.

So I have no idea if any of that is in any way relevant to this probably not, but to draw a tenous link, a planned encore is a studio set up shot, the unplanned one is a definitive moment :)

Yes, big guys in music are a different thing than semi-pro jazz big or otherwise band ( I play saxophone in a quintet of amateurs) .

Fuji is one of the “ big guys”, you can’t run a business which implies years of market research and product development and let it be run by the spur of the moment ( with the exception of the introduction of selfie model X-A2 which was definitely a quick adjustment of the production).

Everything is programmed but they might have underestimated the public's reaction. 

When I was in a band we often would do an encore that was unplanned, normally it would be a song that we were 90% there on, but did not feel was strong enough yet to play out. If we were getting a good reaction and an encore it woudl often be a great time to debut it as we had an appreciative audience (encores are usually not requested at the end of a bad gig) and the adrenaline rush would usually carry us through any of the sections we were still a bit ropey on.

If I translate this to the F/W-Update for X-E2 I wouldn't want an update ;)

Perhaps although I have always found that when it comes to creativity, the best material whether music or image often comes from working around the limitations whether they are in ability or in the equipment used.

So perhaps your right, maybe the X-E2 is just perfect as it is.

Certainly that Time cover taken recently with an X-E2 won't benefit from Zone AF :)

[also posted elsewhere in this forum] Great News for X-E2 owners: while attending a Fuji product presentation a few days ago, I heard from the company reps what I was hoping to hear about an upcoming major firmware upgrade for the X-E2. It will be a great "new" camera with the latest FW release in a few months.With the AF updated and a few other useful tweaks to FujiFilm's latest standard (X-T10), it will be a fantastic camera!

That would be awesome if it was brought upto X-T10 spec

In a way I wander whether imminent release of Sony A6100 might have impact. Ie its rangefinder and A6000 has been very successful competitor for X-E2 already. Maybe they figured if they are not releasing an X-E3 soon that it makes sense to keep the eixsting body in that style competitive.

Before anyone jumps down my throat, I would rather have an X-E2 in its current form than an A6000 I just prefer the Fuji colours and rendering and theri lens, and the fact that I can customize with hand grip etc etc

I have to be honest the features I am most looking forward to are.

1) EV dial working in manual and AUTO-IS0 Manual mode.

2) New AF would be awesome mainly for enhanced low light. If they give it the full fat I suspect that the X-E2 might be better in continous mode than X-T10 as I read it has a better buffer?

3) Custom Q menu, I shoot RAW and currently the only thing I change in the Q menu is Film Simluation and occasionally DR it would be really nice to be able to cut it down to just the stuff I need and maybe add in some of the focus options etc.

Electronic shutter I can live without although its sounds very interesting for me it more of a specilized situation thing whereas the above would be useful ALL the time.

Manual Video - I would love this, but can live without.

Interesting aside. Until I heard rumour about X-Pro2 having 4k video etc, I thought that one way Fuji might differentiate between the Rangefinder and SLR range was video. Historically most hybrid cameras have been SLR in design (Canon 5d/Lumic GH1/Sony A7s etc) the exception to that rule is the A6000 and LX100 both very capable video cameras. I thought that Fuji might follow suit and keep video the preserve of the X-T range and focus the X-Pro on stills, which makes a lot of sense to me still actually given the general demographics.

Ironically I am the outlier there and personally am stoked the X-Pro2 is getting video :)

Hi all.

According to the "other" Fuji forum and Fuji rumors, the answer is yes. Firmware 4 is coming for the xe2 and soon to be released.

Dont hold me to that, just passing on what I have read in the last couple of days.

Also Fuji always seems to do the right thing for their loyal customers.

Just saying.

Phil.

6 months that makes total sense.

That would be around the time the X-Pro 2 is launched so the X-E2 gets new life and will still fit in with the overall regime whilst not impacting initlal sales of X-T10.

Ie If you want a rangefinder and you can't afford an X-Pro 2 you can get a X-E2 you lose out on 24MP and 4k but a lot of purists won't care. In fact a lot of people might keep an X-E2 as a second body certainly initially in case the X-Pro2 low light performance suffers due to the increased pixel density.

The X-Pro2 sales won't suffer because it will still be latest and greatest.

Fuji will get major PR from review sites and users because they are updating a 2 year old camera, encouraging people considering buying any of their cameras that its a good investment.

They will benefit from people like me content to wait and who will now invest more in glass.

Then they can release X-T2 6-9 months after  X-Pro2 with the 24MP, Dual Flagships

The really interesting question is what they will release next after that an X-T20 or an X-E3 I imagine they will review sales figures of both cameras and decide based on that.

G

Hope there is a lot improvement for speed same as XT1, can achieve 1/32000, 

peaking still work even when you half press the shutter button when you are using pure manual lens

When press AEL, you can still change the other parameter of camera

2nd curtain flash can work properly, not as now work after the shutter close, and it only flashing once

you can assign any button to work as other menu you want

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, this thread has been running since May, 7 moths after and a few vague and generic assurances that someday the prince will come, no update has been spotted at the horizon yet otherwise we will know it.

I can tell you that I have started following the sales of X-E2 old or new in the Netherlands and the weirdest thing is happening, little movement on the secondhand market and in the shops, while they are hardly selling any new X-E2 ( so they tell me) because they would sell at the same prices of new X-T10 ( with a more modern software and performance) some shops have even run out of cameras and start now showing, on line, the sign that they are restocking the X-E2 but they aren’t really doing this.

I read in this, the fact that Fuji is probably getting ready to do something with this camera.

The X Pro 1, once it reached the end of its path was offered in Europe ( and still is) with the least selling lenses of the range, the 18mm and the 27, at the slashed price of €899, including leather bags which few people will ever use.

We have yet to see this happening but shops don’t have, many or at all, new X-E2  to sell while , in theory, they are still offering this model among the new Fuji cameras.

Except they are not because no cameras are being shipped to the shops.

When the new firmware will come ( we have been told so ages ago!) it will tell us how much energy Fuji is still putting into this camera.

If it turns out to be little energy then we will know that the end is near and then cameras will start being discounted and offered in kits to rid Fuji of the old stock.

As Yoda says...( and he knows, Star Wars is telling us the same)

Fujifilm Hong Kong says: Fuji X-E2 Firmware 4 coming mid-January! http://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-hong-kongs-says-fuji-x-e2-firmware-4-coming-mid-january/

Yoda-The-Empire-Strikes-Back.jpg

If the firmware upgrades would be limited to the new lens compatibility and new OS compatibility with Windows10 ONLY this would have to be one of the most disappointing upgrades ever and the X-E2  client base would be seriously disappointed.

Several months ago, following the introduction of the X-T10, there was a large wave of hostile comments originating within the X-E2 owner’s community which felt left out from the bonanza. To that Fuji France ( why only France?) reacted that there would be some form of Firmware upgrade some time.

Later on vague assurances from others were given that this would come this coming January. To tell the truth, after the initial wave of complaints the X-E2 owners have been showing remarkable restraint and patience.

I am obviously not privy to what the Fuji management is thinking but my guess is always been that they wanted to give an advantage to the new kid on the block X-T10 over the older X-E2 in order to push and establish its market.

As I said, I have asked shop keepers and some kind soul who was prepared to break the radio silence, told me that initially they weren’t selling all that many X-E2’s and that they now don’t even have them in stock while only theoretically for sale ( but they don’t sell them anyway).

So, the times would look ripe to provide the X-E2 base with some Kaizen if there is any anywhere.

Of course there might have been a decision to cut that to the minimum. Include new lenses and provide Windows 10 operability. But these are hardly innovations.

It is possible that the X-E2 is nearing the end of its useful commercial life. 

That would be unwise, methinks, but unless someone has been revealed Fuji’s plans for the immediate future, there isn’t much which would justify discontinuing a camera which sensor and processo have the ability to be updated to at least the same functions that the X-T1 now has.

I spoke to a Fuji tech this morning about a question I had regarding my new X e2. He answered the question and then i asked him about Firmware 4 and was it actually in the works. He said it should be out b the end of the year. (He must have realized that was two weeks away so he quickly added or sometime in early January.) It is it coming and that's great since i went with the X E2 instead of the XT10. I have an XT! which I love but going traveling and wanted a lighter camera and less of an investment in case something bad happens to the camera. I love the feel of it and have all those great lenses I bought for the XT1