Any news about a FW 4.0 update on the E2?

There's a lot the X-E2 hasn't got...

• new AF modes and tracking.
  • electronic shutter.
  • lower JPEG compression.
  • and more

I don't think we'll get all that... if we did then the X-E3 would have to be in the far future and/or have some new hardware (like the sensor, and a tilting screen!).

We have to have a reason to upgrade one day.

I have the X Pro and the E2 and most of the primes except for the new 16. I like the range finder look, feel and most of all the ability to interact better with my subjects because they can see my face, and I can see what else is happening around them. I have no desire to ever own a T1/T10 SLR style camera from Fuji, that is why I dumped all my Nikon gear to stay with the SLR style means go back to Nikon. I was planning to get he xXPro 2 when it comes out, but now will also be considering a wholesale move to Sony if they abandon the E series as I find it is the perfect back up to the pro. I love my E2 and require an E3 as backup eventually. Now that Sony have some real lenses on the way, they are becoming a real alternative to me. I love Fuji but I switched to them for the rangefinder style and decided that style was worth it to put up with the little 16 meg sensor chip, If Fuji plan on putting me back into an slr style box then I'll go back to the big boys and get my big 36 meg sensor back.

Careful here Fuji, the groups that I personally shoot with here are all felling the same way.

If the only reason that you are on Fuji is because of the viewfinder position, then Fuji has bigger problems.  If this distinction was a crucial as you say as it to the masses, then everyone would be doing it. Don't you agree?

btw, which quality glass is coming for Sony? I assume you referring to using the Sony cropped e-mount bodies. Or are you consider using FE FF lens on the A6000 cropped body?  As I am sure you are aware that Sony decided to make their FF mirrorless camera a SLR like body.  They could have choosen to keep trucking along with their past rangerfinder like  bodies like the prior NEX-6/NEX-7 but they choose to do SLR style instead.  I thinking there is something behind that decision to make a change. Olympus as well coming from PEN.   And Panasonic. And Nikon. Why do you think that is?

If the only reason that you are on Fuji is because of the viewfinder position, then Fuji has bigger problems.  If this distinction was a crucial as you say as it to the masses, then everyone would be doing it. Don't you agree?

btw, which quality glass is coming for Sony? I assume you referring to using the Sony cropped e-mount bodies. Or are you consider using FE FF lens on the A6000 cropped body?  As I am sure you are aware that Sony decided to make their FF mirrorless camera a SLR like body.  They could have choosen to keep trucking along with their past rangerfinder like  bodies like the prior NEX-6/NEX-7 but they choose to do SLR style instead.  I thinking there is something behind that decision to make a change. Olympus as well coming from PEN.   And Panasonic. And Nikon. Why do you think that is?

First off I didn't say the masses want that, people like me who had owned many Leica cameras do though, and you should remember it was the X-Pro1 and that rangefinder style that started the ball rolling for Fuji with the x series and it attracted a lot of people who want to maintain that style and buy their expensive lenses which are a bargain if you came from Leica.

Sony's reason for cutting down on body styles may have to do with many things not the least of which is they are having severe financial problems: they had to spin off their tv business this past year, and their computer business before that and are still losing money, currently shopping their mobile phone division around and even Daniel Loeb sold off his shares now.  So to answer your question about why Sony and other companies have done things my answer is two fold: 1- the real answer is too complex for a photo forum discussion and 2- I don't really care.

Are you left eye dominant by any chance?

There will be an XE3 - fuji will maintain a rangefinder style line and an SLR style line. Ultimate lines will be:

SLR style - pro/enthusiast (XT1), entry level (XT10)

Rangefinder style - pro (X Pro), enthusiast (XE), entry level (XA)

Fixed lens - X100 and X30

The tech and parts are common to a large degree between the rangefinder and SLR lines, so no reason to discontinue a successful line (XE series) - all we are seeing is a concerted push to compete with the DSLR market. Now this has been done we'll see renewed focus on the rangefinder style.

Quality was the attribute that brought me to Fujifilm cameras after years of using Nikons. But another large attraction was Fuji's reputation for firmware updates. I've reluctantly come to accept that there will be no more updates on the 100s since it's no longer a current model. But the X-E2 is a current model and not to provide the latest firmware update for it would be outrageous and offensive to X-E2 owners like me.

Well, we don’t know for sure that no update will be released for the X-E2.

But, I am sorry to say, but at some point or other they will have to start disappointing buyers of previous Fuji cameras.

As far as I know both X-Pro 1 and X-E1 are both still available new in the shops and they too would “ deserve” some attention but when we all bought the cameras there was no contract with a stated obligation to update anything anytime and for how long was it there?

I am happy things will be updated for my current camera but one day they won’t be even for my X-T1, and first there will be a new model to replace it and then it will be no longer any update.

It is fatal and we all have to deal with it.

What I don’t honestly understand is the fact that people who own older cameras seem to react negatively to the fact that new cameras receive more attention than theirs.

The camera still works and does exactly what pleased you until yesterday. 

It will probably make good pictures for many years to come.

I wrote it elsewhere here.

I have had many Macintosh computers since 1988 with a Macintosh IIx ( if memory serves me right) which costed me and my business partner an arm and a leg and the 21” monitor was a kidney and few more peripherals ( I remember the magneto optical drives and the machine to print of 35mm film plus the first laser printer) were my left eye ( I am right eye dominant  ;) ) and few more other bits and bobs!

It was discontinued two years later although we used it a while longer.

At some point the OS of a computer all fail to be updated ( at that time you bought whatever few updates there were) and you can not even use them anymore as an open system ( but you can use it as a closed system). So I have an old Emac G4  in the attic. I rum playbacks for my saxophone playing on it and I can scan pics with an old but functional Agfa scanner which actually does a decent job until 8” x 10” transparencies too.

The other day I tried to go on youtube (I can still just about use the internet on it) and you tube informed me that they no longer support an old but perfectly working computer ( actually is the browser the problem but I cannot install a newer browser, I think, which will work).

Maybe you’ll get some form of update, but, sooner or later, maybe later, you will have to accept the fact that they won’t come anymore.

Sorry. :unsure:

The fact that Fuji France has now announced that the E2 will in fact get its version of the new firmware 4 update comes as no surprise to me, I was expecting it as this form factor is what started the Fuji revolution and the new Fuji Pro 2 coming will be their top pro camera, but I still want and expect an E3 as well.

Well don't get your hopes too high, there WILL be something to complain about, heh.

Easy peasy, here's my prediction: both Wide and Zone AF will disable flash…  :rolleyes:

Oh, and you won't be able to use an Eye Detection in any drive/AF mode except for a single shot + single AF.

I was thinking more about something like it won't get 1 or 2 updates the x-t1 gets.

Like it won't get the finer gridlines (lol) or exposure compensation in manual (lol^2). And people will be all over the place bitching how it's unfair and they better get it or else...

Firstly if this rumour is true that new firmware for X-E2 its amazing news and really will cement fuji reputation for Kaizen.

Just my thought on the excitement I agree with Flysurfer that the bottom line is that my X-E2 is the same camera it was yesterday and if they don't update it will still be a great camera that is because it still has the same sensor as the X-T1 and X-T10. Personally though I think that is one argument for updating the firmware i.e really the same level processor and sensor should give the same features wherever you find it. As I understand it they are arguably the most expensive parts of the camera and the cost saving between the X-E2 and X-T1 at launch was mainly related to the lack of weather sealing and reduced control options (i.e no ISO or Bracket or Photmetry controls) 

The main compelling reason for me though as to why I think its sensible for them to do a V4 update to the X-E2 is because its a rangefinder body. If they are genuinely going to pursue a dual body style line up (which I think is very attractive to a lot of people they need to have compelling offerings in both.

Currently their SLR line up is awesome X-T1 and X-T10, come June they will both be very attractive cameras with bang up to date features.

The intercahngable rangefinder customer what do they currently have to choose from, the X-E2 or X-Pro 1, both are off the pace in terms of features. So a rangefinder user currently will have less choice in comparison to an SLR user in terms of features, now I am not saying that we have some devine right to them we don't but then Fuji don't have a devine right to retain customers, something which I am pleased to see that they get.

Finally I mentioned the X-Pro1 just now and a few of you will be thinking stop moaning rangefinders are going to get the mother of all cameras later this year the X-Pro2 which will have all the tech in the X-T1 plus 4k, and you are right. However its going to cost an arm and a leg and not everyone wants an optical viewfinder (i know thats a bit weird as its considered the best by some) but its true. I bought the X-E2 because it had the best blend for me. Small unobtrusive rangfinder style cam, no OVF inflating the price and still interchangable lens. Perfect, and I will say now that when the X-Pro 2 hits I will actually be waiting and hoping fro an X-e3 and that it has 4k etc as that would be my ideal next body.

I think the final reason here is that Fuji have not brought out an X-E3 yet. I.e I fully accept taht FUji cannot just keep releasing new firmware for old cameras for nothing, there is an R&D cost etc etc. Personally I would have no issues with a paid upgrade at this point. ANyway though the point I am trying to make here is I don't want a free lunch. But I do want the new features of hte X-T range, but in a rangefinder body. IF Fuji had just realized the X-E3 then I would upgrage to that body, I have had a good run with my current X-E2 and would probably keep it as a backup/second body and be very happy. But I can't do that becuase Fuji have not released an X-E3 so my only option if I want to upgrade to the new features ( and lets not get into a debate about whether I should, surely that is a personal choice) I have to change to an SLR body. To me that is a less than ideal compromize, and I am sure others feel that way.

So I guess what I am saying is that the reason a lot of people were upset by X-T10 was they felt like they were being forced to choose between changing form factor or falling behind. THe fantastic new is that if this rumour spured by the French post is true then Fuji have been listening and we will al be happy campers. Its interesting as well because they are very clever. I have actually been holding off buying some extra glass as I did not want to become more heavily invested in the system till the dust settled. If they drop new firmware on the X-E2 then I am in this system for the long haul and will be buying the new 16mm and probably the 23mm to round out my primes over the next 18 months. So its a win for Fuji as well

G

We shoud think about the advantages of a new firmware-version for Fuji:

- Fuji could sell his "old"?- E2 for a better price - with this kind of  "refresh".

- Fuji get better future sales of newer models because of recommended to have upgrades "traditionally"

- Fuji would have various posts and news in print- and online-media with a new release (and this for free).

My opinion: Fuji does a good job with firmware-upgrades - even from a financial point of view.

At some stage improvements for any past cameras have to stop.

If this wouldn’t be the case, even if new models would entice people to sell their older models the newcomers to the system will find more and more secondhand but upgradable cameras which would prevent them to buy a new camera creating only cost for Fuji ( keeping the secondhand market happy) and no revenue.

No company can afford to produce a model which stays “ up to date” forever.