Any news about a FW 4.0 update on the E2?

Milandro your right Fuji can't keep updating old models.

But the X-E2 is not an old model. Its older than the X-T1 and 10 but I think that is an unfair comparison. It is the newest ILC rangefinder style camera in the line up and therefore I believe it should be kept current until the X-E3 drops or at the very least until the X-Pro2 drops although owners of the X-E2 are unlikely to be the demographic that will buy X-Pro2, but I will allow it for now.

I don't believe that the X-E3 is coming soon, they will release X-Pro 2 first and then allow that to bed in and review market response to it before dropping the X-E3.

The harsh reality is that the success of the X-T1 means that it may well be that we get an X-T2 before the X-E3.

It would make sense drop X-Pro2 with 24MP sensor new processor and 4k Rangefinders crowd are happy.

Drop X-T2 with same sensor and 4k SLR crowd are happy.

Then follow with X-E3 and XT20

This is a sensible release path that will probably make fuji the most money from there new tech. The problem is it will leave X-E2 owners a little in the cold. WHich is why Fuji awesome company that they are will drop F4.0 on the X-E2

As mentioned its sensible. IF they do this I will stick with X-E2 buy some more glass and wait for X-E3 and be content in that wait.

If they did'nt it would be well okay I have to buy an SLR style body now to improve my options. Hmm maybe that Sonay A6xxx that coming out might be worth a look as it already has better focus and good video. Granted the glass sucks in comarison to Fuji and the reality is that I am not going to do that, but people may be tempted.

G

Just for reference was pootling about on the interwebs and found this quote from the original Phoblographers review of the X-E2, I found it interesting because a) it echoes my feelings on it being the strongest blend of features in the Fuji Range (totally subjective, but there you go) and B) the buyers remorse reference.

At the time I bought the X-E2 everyone was in full on Fuji love fest for their Kaizon programme, all there cameras were getting update love and it did inform my purchasing decision. I think that is another reason why the X-E2 probably deserves one more go round the firmware merrygoround, I know that there was no cast iron contract, nor should you buy a camera (or anything) with expectation of updates, but it did seem a fair bet.

Final and most interesting thought i have just had about all this, is what is the X-E2 update going to contain if it gets one.

Becuase they already branched it to differentiate from the X-T1 ie it has no Manual Video mode. Are we going to get a version that only introfuces AF improvement but leaves it crippled as a Video camera, or will they give it the full fat update bringing it up to speed with the X_t1 and T10

“The Fujifilm X-E2 occupies a midway point between the entry-level X-A1 and the professional-grade X-Pro 1. The main difference between the X-Pro 1 and the X-E2 is that the latter only has an electronic viewfinder. The X-Pro 1 has a hybrid OVF/EVF, which is one of its most praised features. I find that the X-E2 is easier to work with, and that it produces images that are just as beautiful, if not more so. What sets Fujifilm apart from most companies is its commitment to its customers. Buyer’s remorse doesn’t really exist with Fujifilm’s X series because it continues to release firmware updates that will improve your camera’s performance.”

Final and most interesting thought i have just had about all this, is what is the X-E2 update going to contain if it gets one.

Becuase they already branched it to differentiate from the X-T1 ie it has no Manual Video mode. Are we going to get a version that only introfuces AF improvement but leaves it crippled as a Video camera, or will they give it the full fat update bringing it up to speed with the X_t1 and T10

This is the question... if I remember, they have already not given the X-E2 electronic shutter once (when they added it to X-T1), but X-E2 did get the viewfinder refresh, intervalometer and MF improvement.

I hope we get everything... and if they can find a way I'd really like a tilting screen as well :) :)

As I'm not familiar with the idea of electronic shutter I've read some things about it, and it said something like if anything is moving in the frame it produces artefacts, that's why we still use mechanical shutters whenever possible.

So is this really a desirable feature or just something handy when nothing else can do (shooting at f/1.4 in bright sunlight) ?

Sorry if I sound stupid to people who know better.

you mean the fact that one is instantaneously able to be in a theater or at concert ( a Keith Jarrett’s concert comes to mind) and you are shooting without ANY sound whatsoever doesn’t look like a huge advantage to you?

How about been asked to shoot pictures while an artist is recording and you are in the same room ( that’s when the noise of the lens which includes the focussing or the aperture opening and closing) might be a problem and when the fixed lenses cameras with an electronic shutter have an even bigger advantage!

By the way, stealth also implies to turn off the little ( green or in other cameras red) light which bother artists just as much as hearing “ click” when in absolute silence.

The only “ problem is when the subject moves in the same direction of any shutter ( this is also the same with a  mechanical curtain shutter or mechanical focal plane shutter).

The image gets longer if the subject moves the same direction of the shutter and shorter if it moves against it.

Any such shutter works as a sort of fast scanner.

The most famous picture showing something like that is J.H. Lartigue’s car ( new cameras featuring the same problem, give similar effects)

This is the question... if I remember, they have already not given the X-E2 electronic shutter once (when they added it to X-T1), but X-E2 did get the viewfinder refresh, intervalometer and MF improvement.

Don't forget Classic Chrome, I have seen some very annoyed X-Pro1 users on that subject :)

I hope we get everything... and if they can find a way I'd really like a tilting screen as well

Now you're just taking the Michael :) I do agree, as much as I love the X-E2 form factor as a range finder I would love a tilting screen, but that really is upgrade to X-E3 time :)

I would love a tilt and rotate screen while we are blue skying here. I know that there is a perception that its only for videographers and selfie-harmers but I really miss it from my last camera, in fact its the only thing which the X-E2 does not do better.

Maybe they will put one on the X-Pro 2 as its going to have 4k video, it would make a degree of sense. Although having observed Fuji incremental gain policies my money would be that X-Pro 2 and X-E3 have tilting screens and the X-T2 will have the full monty rotating tilt screen :)

Still I can start dreaming now of the X-Pro 3 with full rotating screen 8k Video and medium format :)

Hope is what keeps many of us going. Take Apple Aperture for example. A product so loved produced by probably the most cash rich company in the world. Eventually killed off with no suitable replacement for a package that is decidedly more mainstream and less pro oriented.

Nothing personal just a better business opportunity.

I shot grad portraits this past weekend with my X-T1 and X-E2 as a second camera body. 

After using the X-T1's electronic shutter option, I'm really hoping that Fuji implements the electronic shutter on the X-E2.

I'm doubtful that they'll do it because they'd want to make more sales on the other camera systems. But I can still dream, right?

The news by Fujifilm France that a firmware update for the X-E2 has brought X-E2 owner’s expectations to be very high.

:ph34r:  I can see from many comments ( and the bitter replies if one dares suggest otherwise) that among the various Fujifilm owners, there is this sense that “ they” at Fuji, owe them an “ upgrade” which would bring this camera to be virtually the same as the just released X-T10. This sense of entitlement is the product of the idea that the “ kaizen” is a samurai obligation to serve the Fuji client whereas it might have been a simple instrument with a fancy Japanese name to define a marketing strategy.

Some have argued that they would be two different cameras but, from where I stand, I cannot see how the fact that one looks like a rangefinder camera (but isn’t) and the other one ( with the bump on the top looking like a prism) would be in the Fuji reflex look-alike ( but isn’t) category.

I can see the slight ( but yes people might find that essential)  different in looks but I don’t see the difference in market segment.

Where I live the Fujifilm X-E2 body costs NOW €699 and the X-T10 costs..............€699!

So they occupy the exact market segment with the difference that the X-E2 is the older of the two cameras.

At this point in time Fujifilm is pushing the X-T10 and will have to give the marketing of this camera a certain amount of advantages ( well, for a couple of months the X-T10 will have some newer and better software than the flagship too) in order to jumpstart sales ( which are going very well indeed or so I am told).

It is not a dilemma that I am faced with but if I imagine a client in the shop with his hands on a new X-E2 and a new X-T1, today, which camera do you thing that this buyer would buy?

And if you are Fuji would you give the client the same software for two cameras taking the same place in the same market segment or would you differentiate them?

in time (a short time) we will see special offers on the X-E2 and by the Photokina October 2016 maybe something else will replace the X-E2 ( or maybe as someone suggested before the XE series will come to its demise).

It might very well be that, under pressure, they will release some updating for the X-E2 but even then, if you were the client mentioned before standing in the shop, which of the cameras would you buy? Yesterday’s camera or today’s?

These are of course, just thoughts.

I don’t hate the X-E2 and its owners, I might be wrong. 

It only strikes me that you can apply two types of thinking here, the wishful one and the logical one.

The expression “ Wishful thinking" in a oxymoron. ;)

you mean the fact that one is instantaneously able to be in a theater or at concert ( a Keith Jarrett’s concert comes to mind) and you are shooting without ANY sound whatsoever doesn’t look like a huge advantage to you?

How about been asked to shoot pictures while an artist is recording and you are in the same room ( that’s when the noise of the lens which includes the focussing or the aperture opening and closing) might be a problem and when the fixed lenses cameras with an electronic shutter have an even bigger advantage!

By the way, stealth also implies to turn off the little ( green or in other cameras red) light which bother artists just as much as hearing “ click” when in absolute silence.

That's the main point, why I really would like to have electronic shutter. From time to time I'm shooting jazz concerts in rather small venues and I don't want to know how many potentially great shots I lost in quiet but more so intense parts of concerts. That's why I pre-ordered a X-T10 even if love my X-E2 otherwise. If also the X-E2 would receive the electronic shutter - even better :)

I don't think any of us think that the X-E2 owners deserve and update. But market forces will out as you say, perhaps the few of us on here are not in the grand scheme of things worth retaining as customers that is up to Fuji.

WHat I will say here though if I was a new customer standing holding an X-E2 and an X-T10 in a shop and the specs were the same I would buy the X-E2.

I know this becuase when I bought my X-E2 the X-T1 had just come out. I stood in a shop holding both in my hands. Now you might be thinking this a cost issue. No, I sadly had all my camera gear stolen tail end of last year and thank god the insurance company paid out.

So I went into the shop to buy and X-T1 as I had researched a few articles and decided on Fuji, and from what I had read the X-T1 was the nuts.

I also looked at X-E2 as they had one, and I went away very confused, as I prefered the X-E2 the 'lesser' camera.

In felt better ergonomically in my hand, I prefered the D-Pad I actually felt that the doors on it were of a better build quality particularly the one covering the USB/Mic/Hdmi sockets and despite the fact that the X-T1 has an ISO dial and a tilty screen both features that I rather liked. Ultimately I went with my gut and got the X-E2 a decision that I have been very very happy with. I love that camera, I love the form I love the ergonomics I love how the controls just fall under my fingers.

So am I an outlier, or are they a lot of others like me that prefer the X-E line who knows market forces will speak.

However we will never have a true reflection on this while the X-E2 is lower spec'd than the X-T10 (I actually agreed that he X-T1 shoudl have better features it is theoretically top of its line) but until that occurs you are probably right a lot of people will probably plump for the X-T10. Hell there are some who will go for it instead of the X-T1 just becuase its newer and shinier, some will buy the X-t10 becuase it come in silver not platinum and what they really want is an Olympus OMD Em5 with an APS sensor.

Bottom line is, I really don't think that giving X-E2 users the firmware is going to harm sales of the X-T10 significantly but it might keep a lot of customers loyal and result in extra glass sales, keeping people in the system.

Surely that is positive for all Fuji losers. If forced to choose between X-E and X-T a % will choose another brand.

Again unless anyone happens to have sales figures for X-E line they we are all, myself included just p'ing in the wind.

I guess lets just wait and see what will be. But you can't blame us for being excited :)

It's easy for me to understand as a X-E2 owner... it's a current model that's only three months older than X-T1 and (we are led to believe) pretty much the same internal hardware... hard to see a reason not to update it if it's not much more work.

it’s all about marketing, not about work.

When offering any product there is a certain amount of extra customers been gained by offering more products all in the same range but, above a certain threshold you are competing with yourself.

So offering two almost identical products will not add anything to the revenue but produce expenses.

Any marketeer will see that this is wrong and advise the Fuji Samurai accordingly.

True the Samurai would be able to offer dutiful kaizen against his best interest but it will come a time when decisions have to be taken. That time might not be now but it will be very soon.

It is perhaps a little easy for me, as  a X-T 1 owner, to find less than comprehensible that at least some people expect and demand some Kaizen for their X-E2.

I wouldn't demand it, but really appreciate it, when Fuji would give (some) of the F/W updates also to the X-E2.  :) 

I understand, but it is like people at any concert asking for an “ Encore! "

Clapping hands and calling the artists back onto the stage chanting  “ we want more! “ is not going to get you anything that the artist wasn’t prepared to give even before they went on stage.

At some point they will go back in and don’t come back with the “ more” that you are asking, no matter what! Wishful thinking is not Logical thinking, at all!

It may not add more revenue because we're not paying for the new firmware and we're not buying a new camera, but like the artist doing the encore, our appreciation is worth something to them. They want our loyalty and our future business...

For example, they might have an idea how long it will take to develop a X-E2 successor... they surely want current X-E2 owners to still be around and willing to upgrade. They don't want us leaving disappointed and reluctantly choosing another brand because development took too long...